Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price difference????

Options
  • 07-04-2008 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone explain this to me. For example I was looking at the Trek Pilot 5.0 that the dude from Galway was selling here. I found mostly American site reviews saying they paid between $1300 and $1600 for 06 and 07' models of the bike. Whilst over here he stated that he handed over almost €3k for the thing, do brands like Trek and Specialized employ the same market strategy as Apple or are our sellers getting greedy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

I have heard that trek take a dim view of below cost selling of their bikes.
    €3k for a trek 5.0 is about right for the age of the bike in question. Its sucessor the trek madone 5.2 is selling at €3700 in the dealers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Freddy687 wrote: »
    I have heard that trek take a dim view of below cost selling of their bikes.
    €3k for a trek 5.0 is about right for the age of the bike in question. Its sucessor the trek madone 5.2 is selling at €3700 in the dealers.

It's a Pilot, not a Madone yer man had. If he had a Madone he might have gotten the crazy price he was looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Galwaywheeler08

Paid Cyclesuperstore €2865

Call them and ask if you don't believe me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

True, I forgot that it was not a madone.
    Oh well he can bring it to New Zealand with him using one of the carriers mentioned in the "Bike on a plane" thread:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Bike prices in Ireland are criminal. It's unfortunate as I'd like to support the local bike shops more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So If I was to buy that Pilot 5.0. Which he paid $4500 for over here and can be bought in the states for $1600 leaving $2900 which say take out $900 for flights and I'd have $2k left over to play with. I'm in the wrong business ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Needabike

Bike prices have always been way less in the US than in Europe.
    No fresh news here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

yup get an old bike box and head on over for a holiday and still save some money

Advertisement