Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Name good things and bad things about Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

It has ferry ports and airports so you can leave! This is good! :D
    Bad, we are no longer a nice nation. Money grabbing, social climbing, mé féiners, who have gotten used to too much money too fast. We have been spoiled by poorly managed overly rapid economic growth and now that it has stalled we're all pretty much fugged. Also, becoming more intolerant, racist, small minded, ignorant and downright nasty. Our society, particularly in larger towns and cities is crumbling. (like any other successful country imo.) We drink too much. We fight too much. We complain without actually doing anything too much. We put up with things waaaay too readily, like: a shoddy government, overpricing on just about everthing, shockingly poor infrastructure (from roads to broadband) blah blah blah.
    I quit as I'm getting angry typing.

In short, this place sucks donkies, and I feel sorry for those who shall try in vain to defend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Collie D wrote: »
    No doubt the usual suspects will be on saying how much better things are in Belgium or wherever

They're wrong. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Don1 wrote: »
    It has ferry ports and airports so you can leave! This is good! :D
    Bad, we are no longer a nice nation. Money grabbing, social climbing, mé féiners, who have gotten used to too much money too fast. We have been spoiled by poorly managed overly rapid economic growth and now that it has stalled we're all pretty much fugged. Also, becoming more intolerant, racist, small minded, ignorant and downright nasty. Our society, particularly in larger towns and cities is crumbling. (like any other successful country imo.) We drink too much. We fight too much. We complain without actually doing anything too much. We put up with things waaaay too readily, like: a shoddy government, overpricing on just about everthing, shockingly poor infrastructure (from roads to broadband) blah blah blah.
    I quit as I'm getting angry typing.

In short, this place sucks donkies, and I feel sorry for those who shall try in vain to defend it.
    Pighead has a feeling somebody has been having a crappy life thus far. There's a lot of bitterness in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

I never said Dublin is the most irish of places your correct in saying it is probably the least irish if anything but its what i like about ireland.

So i'm not really talking out of my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

No, I've had a good life so far. All 25 years of it. Just the better times have been outside of here. My eyes have been opened to the joys of other places.Only country I've been in that was crapper than here is Finland, but I still had a right laugh over there due to the people I was with and the snow. Actually, Finland get's snow, so it's not sooo bad............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

Good things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Good: Good scenery, green, quiet, peaceful, economic and financialy stable, people are nice.

Bad: Weather, nothing much to do that doesn't involve drinking, too many drunk people on streets at night time, Dublin is crazily expensive to live in for what it offers, women are difficult to approach comparitively, Knackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

well i will say from my experience:

quality of life in Australia > Ireland > England > France

there's plenty to moan about here, but we have it better than most places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mordeth wrote: »
    300 an oz is reasonable enough in my eyes, specially for the quality i'm getting. and a tenner a gram for great squidgy afghani is also, imo, reasonable considering most hash starts off around 8 euro in holland iirc.

ounce iirc is about 70 euro in the states

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

good :)*thumb up*:countryside!generally common knowledge that best place to live with after retirement (this including lots of points like friendly people etc ).great pub,drinking culture!wimmin hotter than many EU countries lol(i mean their size is smaller...and they have fashion!my eyes are happy:D).great irish stuffs in shops,love to deal with them,great attitude service.

bad: people are generally nice but not as cool as Boardsie:D i mean i found the people in daily are quite conserved...should be more open minded...god know,the world is big!

seraphimvc wrote: »
    wimmin hotter than many EU countries lol
    lies!
    name them!

Beerlao wrote: »
    lies!
    name them!

of course excluding Eastern europe!i say way better than holland and UK:D

Don1 wrote: »
    No, I've had a good life so far. All 25 years of it. Just the better times have been outside of here. My eyes have been opened to the joys of other places.Only country I've been in that was crapper than here is Finland, but I still had a right laugh over there due to the people I was with and the snow. Actually, Finland get's snow, so it's not sooo bad............
    The grass is always greener on the other side Don1. Pighead remembers he used to envy his next door neighbour back in the 80's when they were both kids. He used to go on fancy holidays, wear fancy trainers, hop on fancy Space Hoppers and ride fancy BMX bikes. Pighead used to curse the wee fcukers luck. Always wanted to swap places with him. Where is he now?

He's dead. Got run over by a distressed Fresian whilst cycling through old Johnny Martins fields. Where is Pighead? Alive and well and thanking his lucky stars that the swap never happened. As Jong once said "Jealousy is all the fun you think they had"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

good things : the monies

bad things : the ugly wimmin!

• Advertisement

Good things: The pretty women.

Bad things: The ugly men with chips on their shoulders who call the pretty women ugly because of the numerous rejections and knockbacks they've received.

Good: Alcohol

Bad: Beer Goggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

lies!
    name them!

Name the women?

Rob_l wrote: »
    Name the women?
    if you can! :D

no but seriously, and not intending to cause offence to any irish wimmins who may read this (but i know it will). any time i come back from another country (UK excepted) i am usually blown away by how fugly the average girl is here, compared to where i've just come from. i was in Lithuania a few weeks ago and my eyes were popping out of my head the whole time, in fact it was torture!
    i've spent months in France and Spain too and the same applies.
    not to mention the Swedish chicks that were everywhere i looked in Thailand.

i'm not saying we haven't got plenty of hotties, but they're just a bit harder to pick out

i'm not saying we haven't got plenty of hotties, but they're just a bit harder to pick out

lol now i think i should change my sentence -->hot wimmin are good but hard to pick up...so true!:pac:ah well,thats where the drinking culture kicks in...next time straight buying them Jack Daniel's:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

The Good: Great Jobs, Night life, Scenery, Women

The Bad: Scangers, Angry Drunks, Bouncers, Old People,Dubes, Scangers!! Did i mention that already??

And The Ugly: Bray...What a kip :pac:

Rob_l wrote: »
    Name the women?

There was Bertie, and Mary, and and Ethyl, and Rosemary. Oh yeah and Philimena. Hi Phil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    And The Ugly: Bray...What a kip :pac:

Thats so true!
    I don't know why people go there.
    The malahide and Portmarnock beach are much better. There's even proper sand there!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Overheal wrote: »
    ounce iirc is about 70 euro in the states

I remember getting an ounce of great quality weed in Nimbin for AU$40!! Those were good times. Things have gone downhill since budmail have stopped shipping here :(

OT Good: beautiful scenery, never too far away from things, I just like living here in general

Bad: house prices and our shambolic health system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

+

Irish cheese and dairy products

most Irish are friendly and easy going people

quite pretty women (also MILFs).

when sunny one of the most beautiful sceneries in countryside when at the right place.

low crime rates.

trad. pubs are good looking and have a character.

Paddys day is fun.

Dylan Moran

-

health care.

the catholic church

tracksuits.

useless politicans.

bed time at 2AM when trying to have some fun.

some Irish being racist when out of arguments (lower IQ).

some Irish leaving the lights on overnight in house (also in their rooms and having the tv on) - not a bad thing if my wallet isn't affected by it.

lack of forrests and generally lack of nature, just fields and roads.

prices of alcohol in pubs are ridiculous.

children are mostly scumbags having no respect to older people (+throwing empty plastic bottles just like that on the ground=useless parents).

cops are langers (harrasing drunk people etc.).

weather is sh*t for most of the year.

roads are like in any random country of the third world. potholes and bumps everywhere. and people can't drive cars properly.

weed is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

This thread has been resurrected from 2008. I'm sure those five little years will make a whole deal of a difference to the responses to come.

Good thing - There's a group of Polish lads with a manually operated crane cleaning our apartment complex with a power house, balconies, windows etc as I speak.

Bad thing - There's a group of Polish lads with a manually operated crane cleaning our apartment complex with a power house, balconies, windows etc as I speak.

BTW, it's nothing to do with the Polish lads. Just the bleeding noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Arpa wrote: »
    This thread has been resurrected from 2008.
    Good Things

The fundamentals are sound
    We're in for a soft landing

Advertisement