Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stung by Flatmate

Options
  • 07-04-2008 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Five of us signed a years lease in a house in February. The rent goes to our landlord from MY account and I collect the rent from the others

Originally there was four in total living in the house, then when it came to renew the lease a girl moved in (two months ago) and paid a deposit of €400 and rent for Feb of €400.

She was in a car accident (not too serious) and hence I paid her rent of €400 for March and she told me she would send on a cheque to me for €400 when she came back from her home town on Monday last.

She has since moved out (without telling anyone - just packed her bags and left when we were all at work) and has left me minus €400 which she tells me that she won't pay.
    Obviously, since she didn't give us a months notice (no notice infact, not even a text) she's not entitled to her deposit but I'm down the €400.

She has also left us footing the bill for her rent now in April (what her deposit would have been used for but she refuses to pay me the €400)

I've tried txting and ringing her - she said she'd post on a cheque for bills but that she's "not losing another deposit again"

I'm fuming that by being nice and believing her I'm left out of pocket and now have to go looking for a new room mate myself

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Anybody been in the same situation? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It amazes me the amount of scum out there.

Can you not just use her depost to repay the €400 she owes you?

She actually sounds like an ex-flatmate of mine. She used the exact same line.

She's not from Sweden, Guatemala or Leixlip by any chance? (I've had a few freak flatmates.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

dublindude wrote: »
    It amazes me the amount of scum out there.

Can you not just use her depost to repay the €400 she owes you?

We're still paying her rent for April now...

The landlord will have to vet the person (previous references and bank statements) if we were lucky enough to find someone in the morning at this short notice but he'd take atleast a week or more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Ronanom wrote: »
    We're still paying her rent for April now...

The landlord will have to vet the person (previous references and bank statements) if we were lucky enough to find someone in the morning at this short notice but he'd take atleast a week or more

Did he not vet the previous tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

small claims court she dosnt seem to have a leg to stand on. if your family has a solicitor he will prob send a letter to her for free with a nice threat of legal action if she dosnt pay

Collie D wrote: »
    Did he not vet the previous tenant?

He did, she gave him a letter from a previous landlord and a bank statement as far as I'm aware

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    small claims court she dosnt seem to have a leg to stand on. if your family has a solicitor he will prob send a letter to her for free with a nice threat of legal action if she dosnt pay

I was told this on another related site:

You will have to sue for the money. If she signed a lease she can be sued for the rent for the rest of the year.

Why don't you just find someone yourself? That's what I've always done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

He did, she gave him a letter from a previous landlord and a bank statement as far as I'm aware

In that case is this not his problem then? I'm only guessing here, I have no ideas of the legalities of it but I honestly don't think you should be left out of pocket. Maybe someone else with a better knowledge of renting law could help you out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

PeakOutput wrote: »

Misinformation.
    Small Claims Court is for cases between a consumer and a business to a max value of €2,000.

It has nothing to do with this situation.

PRTB is an option but it'll take months and months. Is your landlord registered and if not, why not?

Why don't you just find someone yourself? That's what I've always done.

Thats what I'm doing dublindude, i've put an add on daft...but the landlord still has to approve the person which could take god knows how long.

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    Misinformation.
    Small Claims Court is for cases between a consumer and a business to a max value of €2,000.

It has nothing to do with this situation.

PRTB is an option but it'll take months and months. Is your landlord registered and if not, why not?

Yup, he's registered alright and he mentioned it as one possibility.

Been txting her but her phone has been off for most of the day...I could try her parents maybe to let them know the situation seeing as every cheque I got from her was made out by them...

Leave messages for her at her workplace? That'll get her cooperating fairly pronto.

Leave messages for her at her workplace? That'll get her cooperating fairly pronto.

Yea, could do that alright - but to be honest I really don't want this hassle...just my money!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

If the four of ye are covering her Aprils rent (100 each?)

Then where did her 400 deposit go?

dobsdave wrote: »

She paid:

Feb 400 Deposit, 400 Rent for FEB

Nothing for March and just high-tailed it without giving so much as a day's notice. Two days before that I had txt'd her asking for the 400 rent for march and she said she'd give it to me when she came back to maynooth.

I told her when she moved in that she would get all her deposit back as long as she gave a months notice.

If she wanted to move out, she should have given a months notice...this would mean (assuming she re-paid me for March) her paying Rent of 400 for April, with her gettig her 400 deposit back and we would have found someone else to move in from May on...

Right:confused:

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Great idea, shame her into paying you. Alternatively phone her family although she didn't lick that type of scuminess off the pavement, being such a knacker she is in all probability from a family of knackers.

Yea, I just can't understand how you could live in the same house and "get on" with people and then just go and screw them over just because it suits you to...

She was always nice as pie so that's why its so hard to believe she won't re-pay me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

If she wanted to move out, she should have given a months notice...this would mean (assuming she re-paid me for March) her paying Rent of 400 for April, with her gettig her 400 deposit back and we would have found someone else to move in from May on...

Right:confused:

Yes if she had done it the right way.
    But, You paid 400 for March for her, she owes you that.
    She owes 400 for April also, but as she isn't paying it, surely the extra 400 rent is borne by the remaing tennants equally (100 extra each).
    That still leaves the 400 deposit which she obviously isnt getting back.
    That should go to you to make up for March.
    Wwhen you get the 400 she owes, then it gets paid back to the 4 tennants to make up for April.
    That route means nothing if you didn't make everyone aware that you were paying for her in March?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from after hours.

Yes if she had done it the right way.
    But, You paid 400 for March for her, she owes you that.
    She owes 400 for April also, but as she isn't paying it, surely the extra 400 rent is borne by the remaing tennants equally (100 extra each).
    That still leaves the 400 deposit which she obviously isnt getting back.
    That should go to you to make up for March.
    Wwhen you get the 400 she owes, then it gets paid back to the 4 tennants to make up for April.
    That route means nothing if you didn't make everyone aware that you were paying for her in March?

Yea the others have agreed that the deposit should go to me but since we now have to make up her rent we're all out of pocket because she gave no notice. I want the 400 off her so that the deposit can be used for what it should be..

She also stuck 12 "sticker hooks" to the wall which rip the paint and plaster off when removed. This is probably going to come out of our pocket again down the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Sorry for asking
    Did you know the girl before she moved in?
    Who advertised the room for rent was it you or the land lord?
    Why was the land lord vetting her?
    I cant figure out why the money is going out of your account?
    Did you rent off the land lord and sublet the rooms?
    I was just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Get her home addrss and door step her!
    BITCH!

the GALL wrote: »
    Sorry for asking
    Did you know the girl before she moved in?
    Who advertised the room for rent was it you or the land lord?
    Why was the land lord vetting her?
    I cant figure out why the money is going out of your account?
    Did you rent off the land lord and sublet the rooms?
    I was just wondering.

No all 5 of us are on the lease

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Sorry I ment if the land lord got her in why are the rest of you taking a hit on this months rent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I've had this situation before, person moved out and left me stuck with the bills. All calls to their mobile were ignored and I even spoke to that persons colleague in the office where they worked as a solicitor, who told me they were in 'a meeting'. This went on over several weeks, so finally I left a polite but firm voicemail advising if the money was not paid, I would come down to the office and wait there all day until I was paid, and if I got no satisfaction I would take it up with their manager.
    30 minutes later I got a call, 'sorry I missed your calls, I was on holiday' {right} and we arranged to meet the next day were the money was paid.

If that does not work then the next step is the small claims court.

At no time must you use threatening or abusive language, keep the tone polite at all times and when the money is handed over, say thanks and leave it at that.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

I've had this situation before, person moved out and left me stuck with the bills. All calls to their mobile were ignored and I even spoke to that persons colleague in the office where they worked as a solicitor, who told me they were in 'a meeting'. This went on over several weeks, so finally I left a polite but firm voicemail advising if the money was not paid, I would come down to the office and wait there all day until I was paid, and if I got no satisfaction I would take it up with their manager.
    30 minutes later I got a call, 'sorry I missed your calls, I was on holiday' {right} and we arranged to meet the next day were the money was paid.

At no time must you use threatening or abusive language, keep the tone polite at all times and when the money is handed over, say thanks and leave it at that.

Well I don't intend to use any threatening or abusive language...She told me she would give me a cheque but then back tracked.

I'll leave it a day or two then will persue other methods. I know where she works - it's close enough to where I work so I might pop in.
    I also have her parents name and number so that's always a different avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

:rolleyes: Read firstly the information on the link you posted, then the earlier posts in this thread.
    I also have her parents name and number so that's always a different avenue.
    It's nothing to do with her parents.

For the love of God.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Read firstly the information on the link you posted, then the earlier posts in this thread.

For the love of God.

Indeed, I wouldn't like to go down that route.

The cheques however have been coming from her parents though so i'm sure they are aware of her position

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Bluetonic wrote: »

For the love of God.

Except for the fact that they raised a lying, thieving daughter! I'd call the parents and say that I was having no luck reaching their daughter and could they please pass on the message that the cheque still hadn't arrived and that if she doesn't pay up in cash in three days that I'll be taking her to the small claims court.

Then I'd arrange to have everyone pay their rent directly to the landlord and have it agreed that if someone defaults on their rent that it's the landlords problem, not mine and if not, I'd move asap.

• Advertisement

daiixi wrote: »
    Except for the fact that they raised a lying, thieving daughter! I'd call the parents and say that I was having no luck reaching their daughter and could they please pass on the message that the cheque still hadn't arrived and that if she doesn't pay up in cash in three days that I'll be taking her to the small claims court.

Then I'd arrange to have everyone pay their rent directly to the landlord and have it agreed that if someone defaults on their rent that it's the landlords problem, not mine and if not, I'd move asap.

Yea, but the landlord insists on it coming from one person - i can see the point in this myself to be honest, it'd get messy wouldn't it?

Hopefully she'll see some sense but I don't think she will...a txt still hasn't been recieved by her phone since 2 o clock today so maybe she changed number :confused:

Advertisement