Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone ever set off RTW not planning on coming back?

• 07-04-2008 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

They say a year break is a long time, has anyone ever just set off on a RTW thing not planning on returning? Even if you're not exactly sure where you would go once the year is up? Has anyone ever done a course or something in another country that allowed them to move somewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I'm going off for a year on a RTW ticket and i'm just not showing up for my final flight in Bangkok. Gonna go to the US and then go do a course in Mexico for a while. And then travel around central America for a while. I also want to try living in Cuba. Nothing is set in stone but i don't plan on returning home any time soon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I did this last year. Set off in June. Bought half a rtw ticket. It got me from Dublin to Brazil and Chile to Australia. After that I wandered around on my own.
    i had planned on working a year in Oz, then a year in Korea and saving enough to do a postgrad in India. That would have had me away for 5 years or so.
    But in the end I decided I didn't want to do that and now I'm off back to Dublin to do a postgrad. Will have been away a year and a half, that's fine for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

That's basically my plan. Africa and South america in that order, maybe eventually become an english teacher in S.America and settle down. That's my very loose plan at the moment, no intention on coming back here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

you will all come crawling back lol ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

That's basically my plan. Africa and South america in that order, maybe eventually become an english teacher in S.America and settle down. That's my very loose plan at the moment, no intention on coming back here...

Yea, that's common enough. I've met loads of people who left for a few months and are still away years later. A lot of hostels are run by ex-pats. There's a lot of work for English teachers out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I didn't find English teaching jobs to be in much abundance in South America. Only really in the big cities. And they pay crap. I gave up on the idea after trying for about a month and listening to people telling me to go to Asia to do it. I did manage to eventually teach English in Venezuela for a while voluntarily. But without knowing Spanish i reckon you'd get frustrated. I found it better to be able to explain the rules of English in Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

dory wrote: »
    Yea, that's common enough. I've met loads of people who left for a few months and are still away years later. A lot of hostels are run by ex-pats. There's a lot of work for English teachers out there.

Yeah, are these skilled people though? I didn't finish College. I have a lot of money to travel but what I am going to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

you can teach english in asia and you dont necessarily need a degree either. a friend of mine also moved to japan a little over a year ago without a degree and hes planning on staying long term, hes working for a car export company and seems to be fairly happy and making a decent wage!
    and you dont need to be skilled to run a hostel, just need the money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

Any others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I did that. I bought a one way ticket to Australia. Came back to Ireland via several other countries 5 years later. It was the best time of my life:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

Glacier, I'd say you should travel a bit in countries you like and keep an eye open for jobs. It's hard to organize jobs in countries in Africa/Asia/S.America unless you know someone there/that as done it before.

If you're not qualified and want to get into teaching you could probably do it in these places, but don't expect to be paid much. The top paying education jobs are usually private 'international' schools, which have staff with western qualifications that are paid western wages

Advertisement