Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike setup help

Options
  • 07-04-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Well my Cube Streamer 2007 arrived today. Trying to put it together now and I have a few questions.
    Currently i am trying to connect the breaks/handelbars. If you look at the pictures, the breake cables will come out on top of the handlebars. This means that they will be under the griips where I put my hands. Should I change them such that they come along the bottom? (Hope this makes sense)

Also, apologies but I will probably have more questions later. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You run them along the front of the bar.

Edit: There's a diagram on the Shimano instruction sheet here (it's a pdf). Might help if you're still confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Like el tonto says run them along the front. There may be a slight groove for the cable to run in cannot see from your pics.
    Secure the cable in the turn with insulation tape and again at the end, the point you want the bar tape to finish.
    If the cable is not running very straight, have someone hold in place and cover the full distance with insulation tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

Thanks guys. Seems like I need to disconnect them, run them along the front and then bring them down in front i.e. they should never cross over the top of the handlebars. What I thought alright. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah - along the front of the bar then down underneath the bar to the cablerouters on the head tube or down tube.
    BTW there;s loads of decent instructional videos on youtube for when you get to the bar-wrapping stage.

Thank. Yeah spotted those vids. Hopefully I wont screw that up.
    Anyway it will probably be tomorrow (Thurs) before I get to tackelthe brakes issue and rest of bike setup. Had forgooten to order grease when I bought the bike so have to get my hand on that to grease the brake cable (which I believe I am meant to do). Need to grease the pedals when putting them on anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

albob,could you post a piccie of the full bike?.:) Hows the fit on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can get grease in any bike shop for around €3-4.

I'll put a pic up when its all finished (or when its in small pieces on the ground and there will be a brand new sledge hammer beside it :) )
    Haven't really got to test the "fit" yet as I left the saddle off so that it would not get in my way. Frame height (56) seems to suit me perfectly though.
    As for the grease....more of an issue of getting to a bike shop before they close! Got some shipped yesterday (with my shoes) so should come tomorrow.

Hey. Well bike is built now. All I am waiting for now is my shoes (and the grease for those pedals!). Only mistake I make was the direction I wrapped the grip on one section of the handle bars. Happy for a first timer though.
    Have one question though. One of the breakpads is not fully parallel to the wheel rim i.e. when I break one side of the pad hits the wheel before the other. I know that thie will probably wear down to parallel quickly enough but perhaps there is a way to adjust this. Seems to be a way of adjusting everything else. I have Simano Ultegra breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

there's a little allen bolt on the top of the caliper that you can use to adjust the centering of the brakes.

i have the same bike. been out for a spin on it yet? how you finding it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

no, it's not that - the pads are toe-in or heel-in, not that the calipers are off-centre. There should be a way of getting them lined up better, but having them slightly toe-in reduces brake squeal. It depends on how badly they are angled. You could try to zip tie the brake lever to the bar (or get someone to pull and hold the brake lever), back off the nut holding the pads to the arms of the brakes, jiggle the pad a bit and retighten - that should make it more parallel.

Yeah its the heal in issue. Will try your suggestion this evening.
    Have not been out for a spin yet as
    1) I am suffering from the flu and would catch a death in this weather. Dont want to rush out for a 5 minute cycle only for it to put me back by a week in getting out properly
    2) Shoes hae not arrived yet
    Dying to get out though. Looks a nice bike- delighted I went for it. Weight seems fine. You were right though, saddle is crap. Will upgrade down the line.

Advertisement