Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a set of wheels

Options
  • 07-04-2008 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

ok so i think its time to buy a new set of wheels for my bike,
    so im thinking of going for a set of 08' Mavic Ksyrium SL or 08' Ksyrium SL Premium.

anyone have any experience with these, or recommend a different set.

was also looking at some Campagnolo and Fulcrum wheels but i'm kinda biased towards the Ksyrium.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

E@gle. wrote: »
    so im thinking of going for a set of 08' Mavic Ksyrium SL or 08' Ksyrium SL Premium.

was also looking at some Campagnolo and Fulcrum wheels but i'm kinda biased towards the Ksyrium.

have being using the 08' Mavic Ksyrium SL since the start of the season for training and racing, and no complaints so far......and i have being on some bad chopped-up roads since, and theres no one i know who has a bad word for them.

but do note, 'm kinda biased towards the Ksyrium also, as my last wheels where Ksyrium's.

Was told theres not much difference btween them and the premium's, as there is a price difference if you are cautious regarding finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Fulcrum R3's.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

It really depends on how much you want to spend. If you want to spend about €150 on a set then the Mavic Aksium's would be your choice. If you have a smash or they break you are not breaking the bank. Whereas if you spend over €300 on a set and they are gone on the first ride, you'll fill the pinch in the pocket.

It's just deciding which balance approach you wish to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

emmmmmmmm wheels, depends on what you want to use them for.

Do you race? if so is it mainly TTs or road racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

For quality and lightness XERO CENTAURI XCR-1s, (690g Front 884g Rear) at £199.00 the pairare hardto beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Fulcrum R3's.

aren't the fulcrams harder (compared to mavic) to get serviced\fixed\repaired, or to get parts for, if crashed on?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I wouldn't go for the premiums anyway. 100 euro extra for a 5 gram weight saving. No thanks. (Mavic did a similar thing with the Cosmic Carbone SL/Premiums).

The SL is a fine wheel. I was going to get a set as my old Kysrium SSC's are beat by now, plus I only have deep section wheels (2 sets) for racing which I recently discovered is not cool in a cross wind.

Personally, I have decided on getting my local bike store to build me a set. DT Swiss 1.1 rims, DT Aerolite spokes, plus Tune hubs. 100grams lighter than the mavics, plus they are custom build and easily serviceable. The money works out the same. (the same wheels were built for and are used by 2 very high profile A riders - so good enough for them, good enough for me !)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

tunney wrote: »
    emmmmmmmm wheels, depends on what you want to use them for.

Do you race? if so is it mainly TTs or road racing.

Going to use them for local club racing and training spins, have €600-€700 to spend,

Aslo buying them in the US so i will probaly get more wheels for my buck over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

smithslist wrote: »
    aren't the fulcrams harder (compared to mavic) to get serviced\fixed\repaired, or to get parts for, if crashed on?.....

No, pretty easy as there are a few stockists in Dublin (CSS and Cycleways) having said this because they're a very stong wheel if you crash it'd be a new wheel anyway. They're also a sexy looking set of wheel! Wheel candy :cool:

BTW, you may not get a brillant deal on European manufactured stuff in the US. I hear stuff like Sidi, Assos, Nalini are just as much over there. Probably same goes for components and wheels. The good deals would be on American manufactured goods, Cannondale, Specialized, I think Roval are American too. But I could be corrected on this as it's not based on any fact or experience just one of those things I remember hearing once from someone somewhere!

Hungrycol wrote: »

BTW, you may not get a brillant deal on European manufactured stuff in the US. I hear stuff like Sidi, Assos, Nalini are just as much over there. Probably same goes for components and wheels. The good deals would be on American manufactured goods, Cannondale, Specialized, I think Roval are American too. But I could be corrected on this as it's not based on any fact or experience just one of those things I remember hearing once from someone somewhere!

I checked the prices of a few sets of wheels, and i will save a bit not much though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

E@gle. wrote: »

A friend of mine who would know a lot more about wheels than I would recommended the Easton SLX 90. The combined weight of the wheels was 1472g as opposed to 1485g for the Ksyrium SL and they cost 481 euro on chainreaction against 632 for the ksyrium. There were only deliveried recently and so far I have been very impresse with them.
    Only my opinion !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'll +1 the Ksyrium SL's, quite a sturdy wheel. I've not had any issues with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I also like the Ksyrium SLs: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055272183 They don't seem to know how to break. And I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Regarding the longevity of the Ksyriums, Mine are the 2003 model. They have done 20,000 miles or so. Many of those race miles (by the previous owner). The brake surfaces are so worn down that there is pretty much a canal cut into each rim, but they are still going. I have had to replace the cartridge bearing in the front wheel twice (about 40 quid a shot) - most recently a couple of weeks ago and they are like new again. Apart from that no problems and amazingly, no broken spokes, never once buckled despite taking a few heavy hits and riding on some plain awful roads.

I do like them. But I am still probably going to go with the handbuilts this time. They might not look as pretty but they are fairly bling bling, lighter and just as stiff apparently. (Also they sell on poshbikes for 700 sterling and I am getting them for 650 euro !)

You won't go wrong with the Mavics though. Thoroughly recommended. I also love the Campag Eurus. They are a brilliant wheel too. Really there is nothing between the Mavic Ksyrium SL, Campy Eurus and the Fulcrum 1's. Someone told me recently (someone who has won half the races this season so far) that the Eastons were great too and he rode them in the RAS without a bother. Pick which one appeals to you. At that price point you cannot lose if you stick to the big names.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Xero Lite XR-1, got them from the States on Ebay for €180 inc delivery, bargain of the year for such good wheels. Front weight is 650g, compare that to Mavics etc, for the same price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

If you are in a position to buy wheels in USA (as you indicated earlier) I would look at ROL wheels (Race SL). I have been commuting on these for over a year and they are fantastic. Light enough for racing but superbly strong also great customer service. check out the website..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have Krysium SLs and no complaints here

Raam wrote: »
    I have Krysium SLs and no complaints here

Going to go for the Krysuim SL's, seen a pair in cyclesuoerstore for €690 so gonna wait till i get back and buy them.

Advertisement