Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Claiming from the Council?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Last week, I was driving in quite a rural area and clipped a Hydrant cover that was sticking out of the ground.

I was at a T junction (quiet country road - I'd say you might get about 40 cars a day passing this stretch. Probably less.) I was working in the area so was familiar with all routes in the area. Took a left at the T junction, there was a bit of a drop and about 30m from the junction there was a steady right bend (probably about 30 degrees right). The T junction I came out isin't shown in the photos below. I came out at a the T, took a left and about 10m on there's another left turn (which is shown in the photo) but I was going straight on.

As I was edging right anyway, I noticed a Fire Hydrant cover sticking up in the road and hit the brakes, but all I could do was hope for the best (when I noticed it, it was directly in my path.)

The hydrant cover (the thick cast iron covers, probably 2ft x 1ft) was left sitting on top of the hydrant so was sticking up about 5 or 6 inches above road level.

I went over it anyway and once I came to a halt, I got out (absolutely freaking!). The hydrant cover had clipped the bottom of my car and it was pulled out of the chamber and up the road underneath my car.

I was furious. Surveyed the damage - there was liquid dripping from the start of the back box (kind of looked like a cracked weld or something) and there was a rattle from the exhaust when taking off again. There was also a mark from where the hydrant cover hit my front bumper, bit of a scrape. Got the underside of the car checked out by a mechanic the following day. The Catalytic Convertor is shot (hence the rattle) but the rest of the exhaust is perfect. I reckon the liquid coming from the start of the back box was only water or something.

Anyway, I took photos and a video as evidence. Now what do I do? Councils are absolute pigs when it comes to claims (working for a contractor with a massive council engineering project, i know).

It's a private group water scheme (15% funded by the residents, the remainder by the Council/EU) but the Council haven't officially taken over the scheme as of yet, and I don't think they have intentions to do so (even if the locals agree).

The quote for the Cat is €275 for a universal one from an independant exhaust company. A Peugeot installation would be €400+.

Where should I begin with my claim?
    Have any of you successfully claimed from the council for something like this?

Also, this area wouldn't be completely uninhabited - the hydrant is 30ft from 'the local pub', and these hydrant covers wouldn't just 'pop up out of the ground if a tractor or something drove over it, they're designed in a way that they lock into the ground (the bit sticking out at the end of the hydrant cover).

My car was taxed at the time. Will my tax disc (up to the end of 04/08) be sufficient as evidence for this, or will I need a cert?

360481629a7378949905l.jpg

360481629a7378950146l.jpg

360481629a7378950310l.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've read similar threads on potholes, not quite the same but you know what I mean

Afaik the council have to know about the problem and ignore it or discount it for a claim to be succusful.
    So if they make a shoddy repair to an existing pothole then a claim might be entertained.
    But if it's a rural road and a pothole develops over a winter and they don't know then it'd be hard to make a claim. Sorry if that isn't helpful.

I would be pretty confident that cover got dislodged by a milk lorry. It shouldn't happen but those lorries weigh many, many tonnes and probably the heaviest vehicle on that road in your photo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I very recently made a successful claim for pothole damage... blew a tyre. I really couldn't believe how straightforward it was. I got the name of the relevant person in the claims dept, wrote him a letter describing the damage, when it happened, exact location and receipts for repairs.
    I took some pics myself also, but I don't think they were too bothered about these.
    Few weeks later, I got a cheque in the post. Worth the effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

As it is a private group water scheme, who would I be getting on to? The council, or the GWS committee/representative?

If it'd be the council, is it the area engineer or who would I be looking for (or a claims dept)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I contacted the main claims dept... they in turn got the local engineer for the area in question to "investigate" the hole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I very recently made a successful claim for pothole damage... blew a tyre. I really couldn't believe how straightforward it was. I got the name of the relevant person in the claims dept, wrote him a letter describing the damage, when it happened, exact location and receipts for repairs.
    I took some pics myself also, but I don't think they were too bothered about these.
    Few weeks later, I got a cheque in the post. Worth the effort!

+1, cept i did in 2 tyres, late at night into the mother, father, son daughter etc of all potholes.

Dunno where you lie here though conZ, is it possible that they can accuse of driving without due care and attention? Just asking, not saying anything myself!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 nicholi

Where I'm living instead of filling in the larger potholes the council put a bollard in it instead! Great fun when coming out of a bend and a car coming at you!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

Advertisement