Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VST's and Cubase

Options
  • 07-04-2008 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have East West Symphonic Orchestra, and I'm trying to set it up in Cubase. I've got as far as getting the VST in and all, and creating the midi track etc. When I play with my keyboard it doesnt work, but when I click the notes on the VST it works fine. Also, the sound is coming out of the keyboard rather than my speakers.

I've looked at devices, and can't figure out how to change it so I get it coming out of my speakers, and so I can used my keyboard as a midi controller for the VST

The keyboard works fine with Reason, and its recognised and all. Just doesnt seem to play the notes on the VST...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Set the input device as the Midi keyboard (in the left pane), and set the output device as the vst instrument (should be just below the "input" section").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

done that but its still coming out of my keyboard

right, ok sorry resolved that problem. now one major problem which I've had for a year, but only decided to try and resolve now. I've got a virus ti keyboard. Its all installed. I open the VST interface in cubase - add the access virus. The panel comes up.

However - the usual midi sounds of a normal crappy midi keyboard come out of the speakers rather than whats in the keyboard and theres a really bad latency of about half a second on the crappy sounds.

I really really wanna get this working, but I really havent an idea what I'm doing wrong...

Have you chosen the right midi output for the tracks which you want the virus to play?

You will also have to choose the correct midi channel, which is whatever the midi channel on the ti is set to.

Right so I've set the midi in to Virus ti Synth, and out to Virus ti.

The sounds of the keyboard appear to be going into cubase and coming out through the headphones on my keyboard, which is ok for now. Everytime I try and record it - I record enable the track - the sound cuts out and it won't record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

If you want to use your keyboard as a synth rather than as a MIDI controller then get rid of any MIDI tracks/inputs and just use audio inputs. Your keyboard is capable of produing both audio and MIDI signals, its important to understand the distinction. As for the latency, make sure you are using an ASIO driver. Have you taken time to read the relevant parts of the Cubase documentation? Its nice to just in there and play around but with a beast like Cubase its good to take the time to learn the ropes properly.

Wait I've got it!

My god! You really don't know how long I tried to do this for, and I've finally figured it out...my god...WAHOOO!!!

thanks for all ur help man :)

cornbb wrote: »
    If you want to use your keyboard as a synth rather than as a MIDI controller then get rid of any MIDI tracks/inputs and just use audio inputs. Your keyboard is capable of produing both audio and MIDI signals, its important to understand the distinction. As for the latency, make sure you are using an ASIO driver. Have you taken time to read the relevant parts of the Cubase documentation? Its nice to just in there and play around but with a beast like Cubase its good to take the time to learn the ropes properly.

hmm im using it as a MIDI track and it seems fine? Should I change it to audio?

Right so I've set the midi in to Virus ti Synth, and out to Virus ti.

The sounds of the keyboard appear to be going into cubase and coming out through the headphones on my keyboard, which is ok for now. Everytime I try and record it - I record enable the track - the sound cuts out and it won't record?

Yea. Thats should do it. Now you can record the synth via midi. When it comes to mixing a track, you'll have to create a new stereo pair of audio tracks and record off the synth as it plays. Do this by selecting the Ti as the audio in for the track, and playing the midi.
    hmm im using it as a MIDI track and it seems fine? Should I change it to audio?
    No need to switch to audio while you're putting a track together. The midi allows you much better functionality in terms of correcting mistakes, editing timing and whatever. Just record to audio (as I said above) before you go to export.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Yea. Thats should do it. Now you can record the synth via midi. When it comes to mixing a track, you'll have to create a new stereo pair of audio tracks and record off the synth as it plays. Do this by selecting the Ti as the audio in for the track, and playing the midi.

No need to switch to audio while you're putting a track together. The midi allows you much better functionality in terms of correcting mistakes, editing timing and whatever. Just record to audio (as I said above) before you go to export.

man thanks so much. Its stupid, but its taken me nearly a year to figure this out lol. I can finally use all the bloody sounds on my virus keyboard...2.5k not wasted now!

tis all working fine now :)
    thanks again for the help everyone :)

• Advertisement

not too sure how to record my midi tracks as audio files now...

can anyone shed some light on it for me?

this is what I currently have:

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=30270871uu0.jpg

I don't understand how I show be recording the midi with the audio track

for the audio track, the only option I have for in is Virus ASIO driver stereo in

for the out I have Virus ASIO driver stereo out...

for the audio track, the only option I have for in is Virus ASIO driver stereo in

for the out I have Virus ASIO driver stereo out...

That sounds about right.

Now you have to set the midi track for the Virus to Solo, and set the Audio track you have set to Record, and push the magic button.

all the midi tracks? i have about 8 midi tracks - do i have to select them all as solo?

You can yea, provided they're all using the Virus as an instrument, i.e. they are synth tracks.

Or else you could record them all seperately, on seperate audio tracks. it'd give you more flexibility.

yea they all use the virus vst plug in.

just headin 2 bed now so will have to try again 2moro, but didnt seem to work for me earlier. do i have to press play and record at the same time maybe?

iv solo enabled all the midi tracks using the virus ti VST, and record enabled the audio track (stereo), but nothing happening...

Advertisement