Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carzone price structure has changed?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Anyone notice this? The price is still €30 but ony for 28days. After this you pay to renew. You can still alter or modify your ad within this time but the time left will not reset back to 30 days as it did before. I wonder does this apply to dealers also?
    I will certainly rethink my options before using the site to sell again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have an ad up at the moment - 16 days left to run, and it won't let me renew it. I'll give them a good roasting tomorrow - that's not what I paid for. Keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Dermo123 wrote: »
    Anyone notice this? The price is still €30 but ony for 28days. After this you pay to renew. You can still alter or modify your ad within this time but the time left will not reset back to 30 days as it did before. I wonder does this apply to dealers also?
    I will certainly rethink my options before using the site to sell again.

I renewed an ad a couple of days ago and was'ent charged

It will be sh*t if you have to pay €30 every month

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

when i sold my car at the start of the year this is the system autotrader and a few others used,im surprised carzone haven't done this sooner to be honest!

Carzone should cahnage its name to windowshoppers.ie its useless!! :)

It's looking for €15 from me to renew the ad for another month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

mass exodus to CBG.ie which seems now to be free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I got caught with this - try editing the ad, and go through the motions - worked for me!

EDIT = Tried it again (just going to edit, don't add photo's and click done on the third screen) it's still working!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I also put up an ad under the impression I could keep it up until sold! I'll never advertise through carzone now if it only last's 28-days. I'm pretty pissed off as I wasn't in a hurry to sell up. I'm going to send them an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I think they should'nt be allowed to implement this price change on existing ads. When I signed up there was no time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Here's what I just sent them:

I have just been informed that you are going to charge for ad renewals. I have spent a lot on ads with you over a long period and I can assure you if you charge to renew, I will never use your service again - you are being opportunistic, and greedy to charge for renewals, given that you have no hard copy. Isolate your on-line users and...........you have no users.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

maidhc wrote: »
    mass exodus to CBG.ie which seems now to be free?

CBG is free only if you have just one photo, and just for 1 week.

When I heard it first thought it sounded too good to be true....

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Here's what I just sent them:

I have just been informed that you are going to charge for ad renewals. I have spent a lot on ads with you over a long period and I can assure you if you charge to renew, I will never use your service again - you are being opportunistic, and greedy to charge for renewals, given that you have no hard copy. Isolate your on-line users and...........you have no users.

I sent them an almost identical email. They might listen to us, I've seen it posted on several forums now, all saying similar stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

HungryJoey wrote: »
    I sent them an almost identical email. They might listen to us, I've seen it posted on several forums now, all saying similar stuff.
    I think all emails to cbg go to /dev/null - I don't know anyone who has ever got a response from them...

land9 wrote: »
    I got caught with this - try editing the ad, and go through the motions - worked for me!

EDIT = Tried it again (just going to edit, don't add photo's and click done on the third screen) it's still working!
    I tried that too. It renewed the ad, but it's still saying only 16 days left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

It's a risky strategy. Now is the time for competitors to make a drive for their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Just sent an email too. Pretty disappointing move for them to make, could end badly for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Didn't carzone change hands not too long ago? Are they now ownd by the same people behind autotrader?

On the plus side at least all those ads up there where the car was sold ages ago will be gone and also those ads where someone uses the old but replaces the original car with a completely different car so that they didn't have to take out another advert.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Didn't carzone change hands not too long ago? Are they now ownd by the same people behind autotrader?

On the plus side at least all those ads up there where the car was sold ages ago will be gone and also those ads where someone uses the old but replaces the original car with a completely different car so that they didn't have to take out another advert.
    Yup, Autotrader now own them. As I've said to carzone, and on this forum - if they only put up a "report this advert" link, the "OTHER OTHER BMW FORD MONDEO" adverts would die out.

Unfortunately CBG is awful to use, and I can't think of many other similar sites that would have anywhere near the same amount of visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'll give them a good roasting tomorrow - that's not what I paid for. Keep you posted.

Please do let us know. Their change of policy looks like commercial suicide to me. Well, at least for private sales.

Carzone got their prime on-line position because of the high quality search engine, the relatively cheap ads including multiple pictures and ads that were there until the car was sold. That's all!
    eoin_s wrote: »
    As I've said to carzone, and on this forum - if they only put up a "report this advert" link, the "OTHER OTHER BMW FORD MONDEO" adverts would die out.

Indeed, but those re-used ads have only been the exception - not that big a general annoyance. That said, why would they not use a "report this advert" link? Let the general public do their work for them. I know what I'm talking about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭seasam

I think it's about time they did something like this it will clean up the database which is good for us all and give more realistic prices for cars. I do agree though they should not back date it to cars allready on the site

JUst got off the phone to them. They'll renew existing ads FOC over the phone.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    JUst got off the phone to them. They'll renew existing ads FOC over the phone.
    Carzone just replied to my email sent and confirmed the same thing. While this move will remove a lot of crap, it will also drastically reduce the choice out there.

Just got a nice reply off them, in fairness to them.

They have also extended my ad and will continue to renew it via. a contact number they provided me. Thanks, carzone!

But still, bad move!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

seasam wrote: »
    I think it's about time they did something like this it will clean up the database which is good for us all and give more realistic prices for cars.

This isn't to clean up the database - it's to make more money. They should actually look through the ads and pick out the ones that should be removed, like the alloys or car parts or the ad that says "Honda Civic - Peugeot 106 gti"

land9 wrote: »
    This isn't to clean up the database - it's to make more money. They should actually look through the ads and pick out the ones that should be removed, like the alloys or car parts or the ad that says "Honda Civic - Peugeot 106 gti"

I'm sure it wasn't just to clean it up but I'll be happy when I click on a car and it's an up to date ad for a car that is actually for sale

This obviously means less cars will be listed. Granted, some of the ones no longer there will be bullsh*t adverts, but some of them will be genuine adverts from people who don't want to fork out every month. This may mean more up-to-date adverts, but you can be pretty sure it will mean less to choose from as well.

eoin_s wrote: »
    This obviously means less cars will be listed. Granted, some of the ones no longer there will be bullsh*t adverts, but some of them will be genuine adverts from people who don't want to fork out every month. This may mean more up-to-date adverts, but you can be pretty sure it will mean less to choose from as well.

I hear you ! bottom line you can't please all the people all the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

seasam wrote: »
    I hear you ! bottom line you can't please all the people all the time :)

Are you linked to carzone in any way, seasam?

Nope just giving my opinion

Advertisement