Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Problem - Help Please

Options
  • 07-04-2008 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

OK, so I am renting a 1 bed detached house in a small cul de sac since May last year. (current lease will expire at end of May and am already planning to move then).

Problem is my next door neighbour. Never had a cross word with her - tbh i only see her about once a month, but she's a single mother (this is relevant later) and let's say I wouldn't fancy getting on the wrong side of her).

Anyways, to cut a long story short, about 2 weeks ago she put a bag of rubbish outside my door. I saw her puttting it there, but didn't do anything about it. (Reasons: I don't want any hassle, and I am moving soon anyway, so it was just easier). Anyways, said rubbish bag stayed there about 7 days and then was collected.

Then, on Friday night 4 rubbish bags appeared opposite my house (houses are all on the one side, so it's just bushes on the other side). Again, I was tempted to put it back outside her door, but thought it could cause trouble, so I didnt bother.

Anyway fast forward to this evening. Knock at the door - It's a nice man who lives about 5 doors down. He asks me if the rubbish is mine. I say it's not. He says he already rang the landlord of the girl next door, and called into her, but she claims the rubbish is mine. He also said that he's seen rats in the roadway this week and his daughter is freaking out over it. (so am I at this stage). Anyway, he comes into my SPOTLESS living room and says that he knows the rubbish is hers (because it's full of dirty nappies etc), and says that he's going to ring the Corporation tomorrow about it. He was really nice about it, said he wanted to cover his own ass by calling in to me as well as yer one, and just warned me about leaving my front door open etc.

So, what should I do? Ring my landlord and explain what happened? I'm a perfect tenant and I don't want to risk someone else telling him and me ending up with a bad reference when I'm moving. Ring the Corporation and complain? I really have no interest in confronting my neighbour about this. but at the same time I'm freaking out over the rats.... and the fact that it looks like I'm causing it.

Any advice??????????????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ebowdia

Just let your landlord know what's going on - s/he'll appreciate knowing what's going on in relation to his/her property. No need to worry....

Advertisement