Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were to change Dublin?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Ok lets say you were given free reign to design Dublin City, what would you do? What would you base it on?

What would you put where, all stuff like that.

I think in theory this could be an interesting thread, but its a bit ****e to be honest.

One thing I would do is have a stadium like the Point Depot(modernised) closer to the actual centre of the city, as opposed to being ****ed by the docks.

I quite like New York's model in terms of how the houses are. I think it resembes Amsterdam, or so I hear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Make it public transport friendly for a start .So as you get from A to B in quick time allowing one to enjoy the other greener, modern aspects of the city .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

One thing I would do is have a stadium like the Point Depot(modernised) closer to the actual centre of the city, as opposed to being ****ed by the docks.

The Point is actually in as good a location as you can get. There isn't the room to build anything that size closer to city centre. It's not that far to walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Do you not feel it should be a focal point though? Ala the Garden in NYC?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Do you not feel it should be a focal point though? Ala the Garden in NYC?

Maybe but again where would it go? Although I'm sure Madison Square Garden gets better gigs than Godskitchen. Let all the skangers walk down the quays and isolate the EMOs by the Central Bank and Music Centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

yeah the point is not really that far from the centre, and with all the development down the docklands, it will soon be seen as in the centre

I reckon we need some sort of big central square for public gathering or festivals or just hanging out,

possibly knock all the buidings in the westmoreland st, d'olier st triangle and just have it all open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd move Dublin Port out to the Naas Road. ;)

JoeSchmoe wrote: »
    yeah the point is not really that far from the centre, and with all the development down the docklands, it will soon be seen as in the centre

I reckon we need some sort of big central square for public gathering or festivals or just hanging out,

possibly knock all the buidings in the westmoreland st, d'olier st triangle and just have it all open

Yep, we need a chill out area. This is what this city needs.

Do people live in those buildings? If so, its too late for them. Knock them down during the middle of the night I say.:D Human blood is needed for the evolution of the city.

I'd move Dublin Port out to the Naas Road. ;)

LOL. Good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I know this isn't really re-designing but anyway

I'd have
    -Better public transport
    -Less sprawl
    -Nicer houses, less multiple drab cement block houses
    -Less litter
    -Less annoying scumbags that wreck everything :)

Then I'd be happy :):):)

Collie D wrote: »
    Maybe but again where would it go? Although I'm sure Madison Square Garden gets better gigs than Godskitchen. Let all the skangers walk down the quays and isolate the EMOs by the Central Bank and Music Centre

HAHAHAH.

I'll have to there, and see how close it is to the city. What is the development like going on? What's planned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

have a grid layout.

nothing worse than trying to give someone directions through college green.

have at least one cinema of the fecking southside of the city centre.

have a arcade that is actually good and isn't filled with knackers and or slot junkies.

have every road going into the city 3 lanes + buslane.

finally, eradicate the scum, or at least move them to roscommon or somewhere where they'll fit in :D

I know this isn't really re-designing but anyway

I'd have
    -Better public transport
    -Less sprawl
    -Nicer houses, less multiple drab cement block houses
    -Less litter
    -Less annoying scumbags that wreck everything :)

Then I'd be happy :):):)

The thing is I would like the implementation of high rise storey blocks, but more 'artsy'(how gay is that word?) lower middle/middle class style.

I would love if magically the metro and luas could just be finished now for all parts of the city.

To be honest, the knacks are very much part of what Dublin is....I don't hate them, but they just need to lighten up.

Cremo wrote: »
    have a grid layout.

nothing worse than trying to give someone directions through college green.

have at least one cinema of the fecking southside of the city centre. Yes

have a arcade that is actually good and isn't filled with knackers and or slot junkies. Hell yes...LMAO

have every road going into the city 3 lanes + buslane. Yummmmmmmmm, me likey.

Finally, eradicate the scum, or at least move them to roscommon or somewhere where they'll fit in Leave these wonderful people alone.:D :D

Co-sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

have a grid layout.

Can't say I agree with you there. Too lifeless. Reminds me of American cities, they all seem so identical. Winding roads show a city is old and historic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Force everyone wearing a tracksuit and Air Max to dig a mass grave, then bury them in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ok lets say you were given free reign to design Dublin City, what would you do? What would you base it on?

What would you put where, all stuff like that.

I think in theory this could be an interesting thread, but its a bit ****e to be honest.

I quite like New York's model in terms of how the houses are. I think it resembes Amsterdam, or so I hear.

I'd base it on the european model of having a much larger open area /market square at the centre. Wider streets, too - Dublin can be a bit claustrophic at time. City centre should also be as pedestrianised as possible.

Not sure about the stadium in the city centre - most stadia are located on the outskirts of the city, so as to allow expansion.

Public trasnport - seconded.

Night life to be a bit more varied.

And for the love of God can we clean the place up a little...?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

FruitLover wrote: »
    Force everyone wearing a tracksuit and Air Max to dig a mass grave, then bury them in it.

http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I'd base it on the european model of having a much larger open area /market square at the centre. Wider streets, too - Dublin can be a bit claustrophic at time. City centre should also be as pedestrianised as possible.

Not sure about the stadium in the city centre - most stadia are located on the outskirts of the city, so as to allow expansion.

Public trasnport - seconded.

Night life to be a bit more varied.

And for the love of God can we clean the place up a little...?!

I think you guys are right about the stadium, actually when you think about it MSG is probably a fair distance from NYC actual centre, but the difference?There is amenities(?) surrounding the damn thing. Didn't the Esso close down near the Depot?

I really like the open market idea.....Rome really has it.

Actually seriously, how can we actually push for such things to be implemeted?

Improving transport although probably most essential is like a cliché, but things like open areas, nobody thinks of this crap....

Could stuff like this ever be truly part of a Goverments plan?

have a grid layout
    As Big Ian would say "Never, Never, Never...."
    Cremo wrote:
    have at least one cinema of the fecking southside of the city centre.
    Like The Screen on Hawkins Street?
    Cremo wrote:
    have a arcade that is actually good and isn't filled with knackers and or slot junkies.
    I thought archades were for skangers only. I've never been to one. Why would a 'non-skanger' want to go there. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

something along the lines of IMC/cineworld tbh would be nice.
    I thought archades were for skangers only. I've never been to one. Why would a 'non-skanger' want to go there. :confused:
    have a look at japanese arcades i'm talking more along the lines of these.

As Big Ian would say "Never, Never, Never...."

But Wishbone, what other outlets are there?

There is nothing to do here, other than play football or something. Since my mate moved back home, I just see how boring Dublin is. There are no places to ''hang out'' in the centre, with like skateparks and stuff like this.

There are no places to ''hang out'' in the centre, with like skateparks and stuff like this.
    I must be a lot older than you! I don't do 'hanging out'! :)

I must be a lot older than you! I don't do 'hanging out'! :)

Well that and I'm actually a loser.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Simple, get rid off all skangers, beggers, junkies and any other undesirables.

Actually they usually are a bit of all three - Deport the scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Well that and I'm actually a loser.:eek:

Pretty much. :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

My crazy pipedream =
    An underground/aboveground road network dedicated to bicycles only (and maybe segways), covering the whole country... whether you wanted to cycle into Dublin city center or down to Kerry, you could do so without once encountering a car.
    I don't cycle at all due to the risk of being mashed by a HGV that couldn't see me or a driver who wasn't paying attention... cycle lanes just don't cut it IMO.

I'd also move Croke park stadium out to the back-arse of nowhere, where games won't cause hours of grid-lock for people who couldn't give two shíts about GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I'd like to see O'Connell St. as a proper theater/cinema/arts district. There used to be more cinemas, there was the possibility of the Abbey, there is currently the Gate and maybe the new Dublin City Library. It's got a couple of hotels. Ther would be restaurants if the rest was there. It really has such great potential. The central night spot for grown-ups. But it's not really happening properly.

Unfortunately it's just burger bars, arcades, and maybe a new shopping mall :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I think you guys are right about the stadium, actually when you think about it MSG is probably a fair distance from NYC actual centre, .

not really MSG is bang in the middle of manhattan, its on 34th street and under it is penn station, which is a subway line and a amtrak line.
    times square is under a mile away, as is 5th avenues shops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Top of my head....

A large open square would be great surrounded by cafes / bars etc, market in the square...a nice european style square...not sure where it would fit tho. Airport LUAS / DART extension (i understand one of the aforementioned is *planned*)

Further strategies to remove volume of traffic from the city centre would be great.

Stricter powers for moving on junkies / public begging etc...possibly city center based community support officers walk the beat in the city centre ?

Massive upgrade and redevelopment of most area immediately surrounding Connolly stn.

Extend pedestrianised zone round Grafton st to include Sth William street (maybe more streets?)

Small airport for short haul destinations in the Docks.

Better street lighting for the quays.

Canal to be cleaned more regularly. It's generally full of all sorts of rubbish

People who chuck litter about to be interned without trial. Possibly burnt at the stake, haven't decided yet. Can be swayed either way on appropriate aggressive punishent. Much much stronger penalties for commercial litter...fines for business.

Staggered licensing hours....bars and pubs in close proximity to have different opening hours. Latest should be 4am ?

Err...no arcades !

that is all.

Advertisement