Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Going On!!!

Options
  • 07-04-2008 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

Its 23:29 pm now and for the last half hour or more there has been commercial airliner after commercial airliner flying over Bray Northwards. I mean 1 every minute!!! I can see two or three at a time all on the same heading northwards.

Whats Up??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Northwards eh? might they be going to Dublin airport?

hint... wind direction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Oilrig wrote: »
    Northwards eh? might they be going to Dublin airport?

hint... wind direction :D

Ha bloody Ha!! :D I know they are heading to Dublin Airport smart ass ;)

So its a land into the wind thing then? I knew they all must be on approach but I have never experienced that approach being right over Bray and have never seen so many aircraft in such a short period of time.

Its not even windy here anyway? I just figured something else must be up for planes to be approaching on anything other than their normal vector.....like maybe a crash putting the normal runway out of action or something.

And while I may know some of the terminolgy I am not a Plane-spotter so forgive my ignorance :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Yeah noticed loads of planes travelling overhead here in Dublin 9 towards airport in a northerly direction when then normaly come in from easterly direction. Do planes always land into wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Runway 10/28 is closed for maintainance, wind is north-westerly the last week so runway 34 is in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Do planes always land into wind?

Land into and take off into the wind, in a perfect world!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I was listening to EIDW on LiveATC for a while, during the period when they changed the active to RWY 34. Whats this about lights southwest to the threshold that is in the ATIS, and tower asking aircraft to confirm wheather they are aware of it? Is this a caution to inbound aircraft due to the incident a while back where an aircraft thought lights from an office block to be runway lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Smokey Bear

Got it in one EI-DAV its refering to the Days Inn in Ballymun that has lights that now flash and it also warned them about watching there hub caps flying over there!!!:D

Smokey Bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I was walking over Bray head on Sunday and there where jets flying over every 10 minutes or so. Some of them where surprisingly low too. Only saw one turboprop - an ATR I think. Most where coming from the south straight over the head but about a quater where coming in from the sea and then making a sharp turn before bray head to head north west over shankill. Defo a wind thing as it was blowing hard up there and coming from the north. Damn cold too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

From DAA website:

Dublin Airport Notice
    Due to essential maintenance work on the main runway at Dublin Airport, Runway 10/28 will be withdrawn from service from 23.00 to 05.00hrs for a period of nine weeks commencing Monday 7th April.

In facilitating this essential maintenance work, Runway 16/34 will be in operation during this time which may result in increased aircraft noise levels in the Santry, Beaumont, Artane, Clontarf, surrounding areas and some North County Dublin residential locations. In certain weather conditions areas in South County Dublin (Dun Laoghaire, Rathdown and surrounding areas) may also experience a slight increase in aircraft noise levels.

This essential maintenance work is critical to the ongoing safe operation of the Airport and is being carried out in accordance with international standards in aviation safety.

Dublin Airport regrets any inconvenience caused as a result of this essential work.

Further information please contact freephone: 1 800 200 034

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Punchy07

Slightly off topic but saw something interesting myself today down here in Cork,was at work in Mallow when I heard the sound of a propellor engine,looked up to see a single engine prop close in fast,as it got closer I noticed it was an air corps Pilatus,was very low roughly 1000ft-1500ft and heading in the general direction of the airport at high speed.Found the whole thing very interesting,have never seen a Pilatus down here,anyone know what they were doing??

• Advertisement

Punchy07 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but saw something interesting myself today down here in Cork,was at work in Mallow when I heard the sound of a propellor engine,looked up to see a single engine prop close in fast,as it got closer I noticed it was an air corps Pilatus,was very low roughly 1000ft-1500ft and heading in the general direction of the airport at high speed.Found the whole thing very interesting,have never seen a Pilatus down here,anyone know what they were doing??

Prob the PC9M Jockeys just practicing touch and go's, instrument approaches, just shooting the ILS or practicing an NDB approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Yep, the PC9s can be seen anywhere in the country on a navex or whatever. They often drop into Galway. Another time I was bimbling along at about 3000 feet when one shot by underneath me on his way back to Bal. Glad I wasn't at his altitude.

cp251 wrote: »
    Yep, the PC9s can be seen anywhere in the country on a navex or whatever. They often drop into Galway. Another time I was bimbling along at about 3000 feet when one shot by underneath me on his way back to Bal. Glad I wasn't at his altitude.

Quick buggers arent they!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

EI-DAV wrote: »
    I was listening to EIDW on LiveATC for a while....

Very cool site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Steyr wrote: »
    Quick buggers arent they!:)

Well, relative to my 100 knots. But the closing speed must have been about 350 knots. Certainly impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Yeah noticed loads of planes travelling overhead here in Dublin 9 towards airport in a northerly direction when then normaly come in from easterly direction. Do planes always land into wind?

Frightened the bloody life out of me. I didnt know there was a runway there and thought we were coming down in the long term car park on Sunday afternoon.

Speaking of Runway Resurfacing does EINN need "a lift"? If she got one would the second Runway come into use? Would be interesting to know as its not really suitable as a Runway as its more of a parking spot for US Mil and AN124's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Theres a small few years left in the shannon runway, I know there is money budgeted for a complete new surface on the apron and taxiways also

13/31 would need severe resurfacing before that could actually be used again

I know there is money budgeted for a complete new surface on the apron and taxiways also

No harm there!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

no worth starting up a new thread anybody know what the security alert was at the airport last week, some women rang up the radio saying her son got trapped when the shutters went down and she could hear the alarms go off from her house, im sure it was nothing at the end of the day?

• Advertisement
Advertisement