Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SN Margin

Options
  • 07-04-2008 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Eircom 2MB.
    I am told my SN Margin should be at least 12.00. It goes from 1.00 to 16.00

I can not see any difference. Now it is 1.00/18.00. Attenuation is 28.50/10.50.Is it important or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm starting to think that the netopia modem has some sort of a bug when it comes to reporting SN Margin, I just got this speed test with it varying between 1.5 and 3.0 (its usually between 9 and 11).

256517879.png

No CRC errors either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

In answer to your question, yes, a good SN Margin is important.

I agree with nilhg about the Netopia not reporting SN Margin or crc errors correctly.
    Mine never went above 9db when I had the Netopia even though I'm only 1.5k from the exchange on a spanking new line and never had speed or connection problems.
    It was also reporting 9 - 10k crc errors daily.
    Then about a year ago I dumped the Netopia for a D-Link modem. Straight away my SN Margin jumped to 26.5db and hasn't changed much since. CRC errors also dissappeared.

Advertisement