Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Social Behavior Order

Options
  • 08-04-2008 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

So I've moved into a new flat, and flat had a party, and today the guards told us we now have an ASBO against the flat. From what I can gather, nothing happens but if we get another warning in the next 3 months it kicks in? Anyone ever had one of these? Is like a noise complaint enough to cause us problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Realized legal forum might be a better place for this question. Will post there instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Why wasn't I invited :mad: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Why wasn't I invited :mad: ?

Cos they didn't want an eviction notice too! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In the case of an adult who fails to obey an order the penalty is a fine up to €3000 or a maximum of six months in prison or both.

http://www.asboireland.ie/faq.php

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

tristanc wrote: »
    So I've moved into a new flat, and flat had a party, and today the guards told us we now have an ASBO against the flat. From what I can gather, nothing happens but if we get another warning in the next 3 months it kicks in? Anyone ever had one of these? Is like a noise complaint enough to cause us problems?

I see the legal forum wouldn't help you.
    I didn't think they were that quick to hand out ASBOs, is there not some legal process or do they just hand them out like confetti. Or are you not telling us everything, was there serious noise and hassle with neighbours or something?

• Advertisement

This is second hand from my flatmate, as I wasn't there for the guardai visit. So I'm going to pop in to the station and get some more details.

The guards didn't visit until the Monday (party on Friday night), and we had no inkling of it, so it's like What? Are you sure we're talking about the same party?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I thought as ASBO was for repeat offenders.

..and i thought people got them.. not flats? :confused:

Yeah, something def got lost in translation. Just a behavior warning, not a full civil order. Though what's on the warning is a good bit different from what was apparently said in person. All very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That all sounds a bit strange. Where's the evidence? Where the Guards there on the night? I didn't think they'd be able to throw them out willy nilly like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

They only gave ye an ASBO cos it was convenient for them!! They just wanted to show that they actually DO give out ASBOs instead of giving them to scumbags who are out of control

This country........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Let us know what you find out off them tristanc. Giving asbos to flats...wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

blow69 wrote: »
    They only gave ye an ASBO cos it was convenient for them!! They just wanted to show that they actually DO give out ASBOs instead of giving them to scumbags who are out of control

This country........

If they were causing annoyance to neighbours and keeping them half, if not all, the night then they deserve to have action taken against them. Everyone is entitled to enjoy themselves but they should still have respect and manners towards those around them. I do agree, though, that I believe they are for repeat offenders and, correct me if I'm wrong, they are issued by the courts and not by the gards. Could there be regular noisy parties in this flat?

Hey sorry, per earlier message, as far as I can tell we did NOT get an ASBO just a behavior warning. The guard who came to visit had left us with the impression we were getting an ASBO, but all we've gotten in the mail was a warning. I think if we get another warning we'll get an ASBO or something like that. I'd assume they'd have sent us something by now if they were applying for an ASBO as well.

Twas the first party at the flat and warning was a result of some stupid **** a couple guests were doing that neither of us were aware of 'til the guard came to visit a few days later. Neighbors have music going all night on a far more frequent basis, so I don't think that would have done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I got a visit from the Gardai after a party.They said we were noisy-which we were and complaints were made.Well I apologised and thought nothing more of it.We quietened down after that.
    However over the next few weeks we got frequent house calls from them saying we were noisy on previous nights yet they never called on the nights in question.It ended when they called late one night saying we were noisy yet it was obviously we were awoken by the call.We suspected our neighbour for repeatedly calling the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I should have been invited Tris.

Also, I didn't see you at the MDC gig.

For shame!

That was the most ridiculous bit, it was really only one flatmate who had people over. I only brought up a couple mates who had called seeing what I was doing that eve, and the 3rd flatmate wasn't even in the country. So we're talking a max of 15 people in the flat, and this is result.

Yeah, my job sucks for making me miss 75% of good gigs. I'm getting a good bit tired of it.

Advertisement