Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Images of the Second World War - Possibly NSFW

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

Max Wunsche/One brave son of a gun...and handsome

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Artur.PL

Polish September '39

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Tabnabs wrote: »
    RAF aircraft were no respecter of neutral Irish ships.

Thats an interesting observation. Have you read "guarding neutral ireland"? There are alot of references and anecdotes about brushes between RAF and Irish shipping. Each time something happened, the Irish complained to Downing Street, with empty promises and excuses returned. It is an interesting side story to the relationship between us during the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

This is a picture of A. Hitler announcing Poland's surrender in 1939. In the shot are two individuals who would go on to command tanks at Kharkov, Kursk, Normandy and the 'battle of the bulge'. One was indited on war crimes charges, the other was captured and kept in captivity until 1948.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

this link was posted by losthorizon in the Cool Vids & Pics section -
    there's no captions, but an interesting mix of photos from a (largely) forgotten conflict, Finland

http://www.themysteryworld.com/2013/05/finland-in-world-war-ii-49-pics.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

tc20 wrote: »
    this link was posted by losthorizon in the Cool Vids & Pics section -
    there's no captions, but an interesting mix of photos from a (largely) forgotten conflict, Finland

http://www.themysteryworld.com/2013/05/finland-in-world-war-ii-49-pics.html

Brilliant pictures, I have drifted from my amazement at WW@ as I have been in the middle of a life changing move for the last year but those pictures have reawakened my passion. I often wonder about pictures like the one with all the dead German soldiers in the woods, did they all die there together in some massive suprise attack or were their bodies collected and dumped there after a battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Brilliant pictures, I have drifted from my amazement at WW@ as I have been in the middle of a life changing move for the last year but those pictures have reawakened my passion. I often wonder about pictures like the one with all the dead German soldiers in the woods, did they all die there together in some massive suprise attack or were their bodies collected and dumped there after a battle.

I think they may be Russian dead , Russo-Finn war.
    Though in hindsight I didn't read the opening part of the article properly..
    Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I wasent sure where they were from, I was going to put (I think) after the word German. I just saw a mess tin and it looked German so I went with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Have been getting into doing these lately.

My uncle Joe Tallon (1923 -1986). Served as an Aeronautical Engineer in the RAF during WW2.
    This is a pic of him in a Lancaster Sky Trainer in Skyways, Surrey, England in 1948.

UncleJoeinLancasterwatermarked_zps219ab722.jpg

My Grandfather (Merchant Navy WW1 & WW2) on board the SS Severn Leigh in the Far East in 1937 - LHS

GrandadRedmondSevernwatermarked_zps6526abd7.jpg

A Luftwaffe Ground Crew Load up a Heinkel He 177 Bomber.

Heinkel_He_177awatermarked_zpseed3aa4c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

nice work there

• Advertisement

Thanks Jamesdriver ;). Here's a few more.

Not a great one this, was one of my first attempts, but think the photo itself is great.

An American Soldier in the turret of a knocked out Tiger Tank

soldierintigerwatermarked_zps0cd4b6cb.jpg

Pre WW2 Photo of Irish Free State soldiers wearing German style helmets.
    I think these Helmets were actually made by the 'Vickers' Company in England ?? which is kind of ironic in it's own way ...

freestatesoldiersincolourandbwWATERMARKED_zps8890b19d.jpg

Ghost Panzers in the Halbe Forest 1945 - 2013
    GhostPanthersinHalbeForest1945W_zpsf9b2a617.jpg

A German Mortar Crew in action, in the future mass grave of their reburied comrades in Belarus 1943 - 2013.
    39a62b3d-fe1d-4d3f-85a9-86375d880582_zpsa9dfd89a.jpg

Somewhere in France 1944
    ww2mix02_zpsee0bd727.jpg

Somewhere in France 1944
    ww2mix01_zps79117abe.jpg

German Ghost Infantrymen from 1944, witness their own exhumation in Belarus 2013
    610x3field_zps90c3fb8e.jpg

A German Ghost Platoon at their own reburial.
    610x1massgrave_zps672755ce.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bolt12000

Fascinating to see the pics in colour, thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭mcgragger

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Don't think this has been posted before here -

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/03/18/captured-blog-the-pacific-and-adjacent-theaters/1547/?source=ARK_plog

a sizeable archive of American WW2 photos.

they are fantastic shots

thanks for posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Flak battery on the lagoon of Venice about to have a bad day........

308128.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

How could anybody find that upsetting or offensive? Good to see a FLAK battery getting some good news back.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Not an image and not during the Second World War but still a fascinating look of Berlin in colour during the first months of peace.

Great quality.

Notable landmarks include the Berlin Cathedral, Brandenburg Gate, Hotel Adlon, Sportspalast, Hotel Kaiserhof, Unter den Linden and the Reich Chancellery including the garden entrance to the Fuhrerbunker and petrol cans used to burn Hitler's body.

I'm not sure what the large statue at 2:03 is. Anyone know?

Advertisement