Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Images of the Second World War - Possibly NSFW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

POW points out German guard who used to beat them, 1945.

russian-slave-laborer.jpg

Prisoners, taken before they beat this man to death with a shovel, 1945.

prisoner-shovel640.jpg

Very similar looking lads no?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

I was looking at it before, and what stroke me is, that in the first picure those are Wehrmacht soldiers and not a Camp guardsmen. And the officer in the background looks like he's just back from the frontline.. So the title could be a bit missleading...
    The series of the dead or will be dead SS men in the Dachau extermination camp is interesting as well. These are the members of SS Wiking which was a fighting unit as you can see on their uniforms.
    Part of this unit was relocated to that camp just a couple of days before its liberation and took a first hand revenge from GIs and prisoners. Needless to say the camp guards and the real monsters were long gone...

There's a hidden story behind every picture which could be totally different from what you see or what the caption says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/OSOK/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/OSOK/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/OSOK/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/OSOK/AppData/Local/Temp/Lamenting_the_dead.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/OSOK/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.jpg[/IMG]52842293.oksniperhunt.jpg

same_place_kharkov_gosprom_1943.jpg

dead_russ_mg_team.jpg

Asiatic15_Dead_Ost.jpg

wwii_dead.jpg

ww2-188.jpg

photo109.jpg

dead2.jpg

wwii_photo_0088.jpg

441531474_bb7e0705ab.jpg?v=0

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/OSOK/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-10.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/OSOK/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/OSOK/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/OSOK/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-9.jpg[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Yep some excellent pictures - I think the fact that a lot are in colour makes it seem closer and more powerful too.

• Advertisement

For all those who do not know it yet, LIFE archive is on the Google for a while now, some amazing pictures, so happy hunting...

http://images.google.com/hosted/life

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I interviewed a Wehrmacht Veteran called "Jacob Neuss" in Munich in June 2006 and he allowed me copy some of his old photographs. He was a barber before the war, and spent most of his time with the Wehrmacht in Russia.

He is the only one of his group that survived the war, and still lives with his wife in Munich today.

Jacob Neuss in Russia 1944
    dscn1741js6.jpg

Jacob Neuss on RHS - Russia 1941
    dscn1742qs0.jpg

Jacob Neuss on LHS - Russia 1944
    dscn1743ai2.jpg

dscn1744yq1.jpg

Comrades of Jacob Neuss in Russia 1943 (all killed before wars end)
    dscn1745vj8.jpg

dscn1746jz3.jpg

Jacob Neuss on RHS - Russia 1944
    dscn1748jw0.jpg

Jacob Neuss on LHS celebrating an early victory in Russia 1941
    dscn1749ro0.jpg

Jacob Neuss on RHS - Russia 1944
    dscn1750bc0.jpg

Jacob Neuss on RHS cutting a comrades hair - Russia 1941
    dscn1751zn9.jpg

Jacob Neuss in Munich in 2006
    picture019zv7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 oNemesis

I have a genuine Russian translator. You want to have a good Russian translator, check here:

http://www.online-translator.com/?prmtlang=en

Also check here for some great war pictures in an article today about US/Russia failed relations:

http://www.moscowtopnews.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Something from the naval end of the war

HMS%20AVENGER%20with%20six%20Hurricanes%20on%20board..jpg
    HMS AVENGER with six Hurricanes on board

HMS%20ARK%20ROYAL%20PREPARING%20TO%20ATTACK%20BISMARK..jpeg
    HMS ARK ROYAL PREPARING TO ATTACK BISMARK

u47_kiel%20copy.jpg
    u47_kiel

convoy.jpg
    CONVOY, ONS. 154. sets out

HMS%20VENERABLE%20PLANEUNABLE%20TO%20LAND%20SIGNAL%20TO%20PILOT%20PACIFIC%20DEPL%201945%20IN%3AOCEA.JPG
    HMS VENERABLE PLANE UNABLE TO LAND, SIGNAL TO PILOT PACIFIC DEPLOYMENT 1945 INDIAN OCEAN

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Something a little unusual this time. Propaganda posters from WW2

309856393_0b02b023d6.jpg

Ww2_poster_oct0404.jpg

usa13.jpg

448px-SheMayLookCleanBut.jpg

kommunismifn2.jpg
    Finnish. "Communism kills more than cancer."

propaganda55.jpg

2872574939_ddbb095a03.jpg

2873404868_7641ec9b8c.jpg

image-ww2lickthemoverthere-307x448.jpg

prop3.jpg

prop2.jpg

1429009759_69f97747d3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Some fantastic propaganda posters there,

keep 'em coming.

marcsignal wrote: »
    I interviewed a Wehrmacht Veteran called "Jacob Neuss" in Munich in June 2006 and he allowed me copy some of his old photographs. He was a barber before the war, and spent most of his time with the Wehrmacht in Russia.

He is the only one of his group that survived the war, and still lives with his wife in Munich today.

Jacob Neuss on LHS - Russia 1944
    dscn1743ai2.jpg

Nice pictures there...

Is that a crest of 25. Panzer Grenadier Division on the left hand side?

FiSe wrote: »
    Nice pictures there...

Is that a crest of 25. Panzer Grenadier Division on the left hand side?

yeah I think you're right there, it looks very like the one here

http://www.100thww2.org/gerunit/25.html

There are stacks of high quality colour ones here - some well known and some not :

http://community.livejournal.com/photo_polygon/991878.html

It's all taken from the Google LIFE archive, as you can see in the corner :rolleyes:

Probably the worst picture of the whole war.
    I have to question the enjoyment I get from WW2 when I see this.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/OSOK/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-13.jpg[/IMG]ivangorod.jpg
    I know enjoyment is probably not the right word but I am sure most of you know what I mean.

You do know that he is shooting at enemy soldiers right ? Its a well known image cropped to make it look like he is shooting at the woman but he is not.

Is this called a propaganda?
    Pictures like this always reminds me of one of the RAF WWII veteran and his favourite saying: You can't trust everything you see in the papers...

There's a whole hidden story behind any and every picture and all what we can do is to look at those pictures now and perhaps get a glimpse of the story behind it or at least we can try to do our research.

Probably the worst picture of the whole war.
    I have to question the enjoyment I get from WW2 when I see this.
    ivangorod.jpg
    I know enjoyment is probably not the right word but I am sure most of you know what I mean.

That photo is open to interpretation. Just been looking for this original online and found one copy. Here is an uncropped version :

http://www.codoh.com/incon/daspiktur.html

daspiktur4bnmed64lo.jpg

402.jpeg

If you look at the large fullsize version here (8+ mb) ;

http://www.codoh.com/graphics2/daspiktur3f.jpg

the shadows on the soldiers face and the womans face appear (to me at least) to be inconsistent so I really dont know what to make of that photo anymore.

• Advertisement

Thanks for those responses, I'm glad to hear its a fake, I'm sure similar events happened several times throughout the war on all sides but that was just a bit disturbing. I dont know why I never questioned it before, was a bit mesmerized by it probably, dont know how I never heard about it being a fake either.

I'm sure similar events happened several times throughout the war on all sides but that was just a bit disturbing.

I agree totally and am sure there were plenty of incidents of innocent women and children being put to death one way or another (by one side or another).

As an aside I am in the middle of reading a really really shoddy book

http://www.amazon.com/Wehrmacht-History-Myth-Reality/dp/0674025776/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235583775&sr=8-1

To give you an idea of how terrible and onesided the book is here is a snip of a couple of reviews :

"The book is a polemic with carefully cherry-picked facts and contradictory evidence omitted to arrive at the author's conclusion that "... only those few resistance fighters in the Wehrmacht who protested against extermination (of the Jews) in one way or another deserve our respect." (page 296) "

"Wolfram Wette's book, "The Wehrmacht", is an attempt to take a simple question (Were all members of the Wehrmacht guilty of war crimes under international law?) and assert a simple answer (Yes. All but a dozen of the claimed 20 million members of the Wehrmacht were guilty of war crimes.). "

In all honesty its a terrible book so far but the reason I mention it is because the author began work on it after seeing a photo exhibition which ran for a limited time and showed a series of approx 90 pictures of atrocities commited by the wehrmacht. I could not find it online anywhere (working properly) but there are plenty of those photos out there alright.

Anyway the exhibition was called "War of Extermination: The Crimes of the Wehrmacht 1941-1944" touring exhibition Hamburg institute for Social Research. You can read more about it on page Vii here if your interested :

http://books.google.ie/books?id=VMqpuY24EkoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=

HMSVanguardaground.jpg

Anyone care to identify the ship, port and event?
    NO LOOKING AT THE PROPERTIES!
    :p

Dyflin wrote: »
    HMSVanguardaground.jpg

Anyone care to identify the ship, port and event?
    NO LOOKING AT THE PROPERTIES!
    :p

HMS Vanguard, November 30, 1944, runs aground in Portsmouth ??

just a guess but it looks like the ship here

http://battleshiphmsvanguard.homestead.com/PhotoMiscellany.html

We must get the WW2 Trivia Thread back up and running again ;)

Morlar wrote: »
    I agree totally and am sure there were plenty of incidents of innocent women and children being put to death one way or another (by one side or another).

As an aside I am in the middle of reading a really really shoddy book

http://www.amazon.com/Wehrmacht-History-Myth-Reality/dp/0674025776/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235583775&sr=8-1

To give you an idea of how terrible and onesided the book is here is a snip of a couple of reviews :

"The book is a polemic with carefully cherry-picked facts and contradictory evidence omitted to arrive at the author's conclusion that "... only those few resistance fighters in the Wehrmacht who protested against extermination (of the Jews) in one way or another deserve our respect." (page 296) "

"Wolfram Wette's book, "The Wehrmacht", is an attempt to take a simple question (Were all members of the Wehrmacht guilty of war crimes under international law?) and assert a simple answer (Yes. All but a dozen of the claimed 20 million members of the Wehrmacht were guilty of war crimes.). "

In all honesty its a terrible book so far but the reason I mention it is because the author began work on it after seeing a photo exhibition which ran for a limited time and showed a series of approx 90 pictures of atrocities commited by the wehrmacht. I could not find it online anywhere (working properly) but there are plenty of those photos out there alright.

Anyway the exhibition was called "War of Extermination: The Crimes of the Wehrmacht 1941-1944" touring exhibition Hamburg institute for Social Research. You can read more about it on page Vii here if your interested :

http://books.google.ie/books?id=VMqpuY24EkoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=

What do you mean a terrible book? Bad read or badly put together or terrible because of the events described in there?
    Just curious...

marcsignal wrote: »
    HMS Vanguard, November 30, 1944, runs aground in Portsmouth ??

just a guess but it looks like the ship here

http://battleshiphmsvanguard.homestead.com/PhotoMiscellany.html

We must get the WW2 Trivia Thread back up and running again ;)

Two out of three, very good.

"On 4 August 1960, when she was to be towed from Portsmouth to the breakers yard at Faslane, Scotland, the whole of the Southsea sea front was packed with people to see her off. As she was being towed towards the harbour entrance, she slewed across the harbour to the Still & West public house and went aground. She was eventually pulled off by tugs and finally made her exit from Portsmouth."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vanguard_(23)

FiSe wrote: »
    What do you mean a terrible book? Bad read or badly put together or terrible because of the events described in there?
    Just curious...

Hi - I meant a terribly badly put together book. This was why I included excerpts of 2 seperate but indicative reviews I wish I had read before I bought it :

I dont have it to hand but I can remember reading sentences over and over again trying to make sure I had read it right. The conclusions are very flimsy. The author takes every opportunity to portray the Wehrmacht as almost universally bad in terms of their moral outlook. It is not just wW2 either but WW1 too.

In terms of ww2 to put it bluntly the author seems to assert that the absence of proof proves only how efficient the cover-up must have been and how widespread was the complicity in warcrimes.

Another point which I did not know when I wrote the above post was that the author wrote the book after visiting the exhibition, however the exhibition (of atrocity photos) was later withdrawn. Something the author neglects to mention.

The reason it was withdrawn was because it was discovered that many photos of atrocities labelled as 'Wehrmacht warcrimes' were in fact bolshevik/Soviet NKVD or mis-identified latvian/lithuanian etc. The people who put the exhibition together may have been a little over-zealous in my view. Pictures were removed from the exhibition and it was re-launched. That would be just one criticism of the book. Dont take my word for it - if you read it you might agree just how shabbily put together it is. Then again you may not - in my view it is shockingly bad in terms of how un-balanced and biased it is. It is a book with an extremely unbalanced agenda using the flimsiest of pieces of information thrown together to paint a wholly bad picture of an entire army.

Thanks, I haven't read it and I do not intend to do so.
    I've learnt to stay clear of all those 'general interest' books no matter the subject. And Wehrmacht is not simple subject to write on as every Europian and some non-Europian nations have had their substantial presence within its ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CelticDemon

My god, some of them photos i see really make you think and hope to god most fo us will never have to see war first hand.

But i do love ww2 and enjoy looking at pics and watching docs on it.
    I really am facinated with the german war machine, strategies,doctrines,innovations.

• Advertisement

Einsatzgruppen

Sorry about this post, for some reason I cant post pictures up here anymore.

Advertisement