Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Images of the Second World War - Possibly NSFW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Cheers for that,
    I bought a few from ebay the other day to see how I got on, 9 photos for €20. I know they could be fakes but it wont break the bank if they are, as you say it is a good way to get to know what is what. I will have a look through the links tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Entrance
    MountainEntrance.jpg

Unfinished
    Unfinished.jpg

Transport Shaft
    TransportShaftIII.jpg

Transport Shaft
    TransportShaft.jpg

Quote.jpg

Operating Theatre
    OperatingTheatreII.jpg

Operating Theatre
    OperatingTheatre.jpg

Operating Theatre
    OperatingTable.jpg

Magazines
    MagazinesI.jpg

Communications Centre
    IslandComms.jpg

Mine Warning Sign
    Everywhere.jpg

Entrance/Exit
    Entrance-Exit.jpg

Stopped Clock
    AlwaysTheSameTime.jpg

Stairwell
    220Steps.jpg

1st of 25KM of Tunnel System
    1stof25km.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Cool photos of Jersey.

There is another site here about collecting photos & albums that might be useful :

http://www.herveus.com

Collecting -
    Themes-Albums

This one gives a good baseline guide to album and single picture prices for rarer pictures ;

http://www.historical-media.com

There is also a photo forum here but it seems to be down at the moment :
    http://www.colorwarphotos.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Anybody want to take a Stab at what Magazines they are ? Im guessing Bren? Look familiar.

Steyr wrote: »
    Anybody want to take a Stab at what Magazines they are ? Im guessing Bren? Look familiar.

I was wondering that too, but are they curved enough for bren mags ?

bren mags

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7788/dscn5756pd5.jpg

could they be fg 42 mags ?

http://www.paladinarmory.com/Photos%20for%20PA%20website/FG42.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 colorwarphotos

Hi guys.
    I just wanted to let you know I have restored my site after the disastrous server crash 1 week ago.

I know there are still buckets of errors on the site. But I will be repairing these this week.

Enjoy the site and best wishes.
    Ian

www.colorwarphotos.com

Here are a few I posted in the militaria forum :

Here are a few photographs from a set I picked up recently.

It's a collection of original unpublished photographs showing SS Polizei in Norway. Featured are a Winter sports event at Skeikampen (possibly April 14 to April 20 1942).

Other locations include Hemsedal, Ullensvang & Vikersund.

Featured are police General August Meyzsner who at that time was BdO (Befehlshaber der Ordnungspolizei) in Norway, members of the SS (Schutzstaffel) and SD (Sicherheitsdienst) in Norway & the notorious Reichskomissar Josef Terboven & SS-Gruf. Wilhelm Rediess. Also included in this set are Schutzpolizei.

Skeikampen Norway SS Polizei sporting event
    SS_Polizei_Norge_55.jpg

SS Polizei building Skeikampen Norway 1942

SS_Polizei_Norge_53.jpg

Police general August Meyzsner who at that time was BdO (Befehlshaber der Ordnungspolizei) in Norway & unknown SD (Sicherheitsdienst) Hauptsturmfuhrer.

SS_Polizei_Norge_60.jpg

Josef Terboven (centre) Reichskommissar Norway attending SS Polizei winter sport event at Skeikampen, Norway. 3rd from right Police general August Meyzsner, 2nd from right SS-Gruf. Wilhelm Rediess, HSSPF Nord (wearing the Kreuz von Danzig I. Klasse and Goldenes Ehrenzeichen der NSDAP)

SS_Polizei_Norge_54.jpg

Josef Terboven Reichskommissar Norway attending SS Polizei winter sport event at Skeikampen, Norway

SS_Polizei_Norge_49.jpg

SS Polizei Winter sports event at Skeikampen, Norway (possibly April 14 to April 20 1942)

SS_Polizei_Norge_50.jpg

The rest of the pictures are here if anyone wants to check them out.

these are really brilliant.
    can you add them in my new ww2 photo forum also ?
    I would love to have them there for discussion.
    I have a lot of my best photo collector friends that can help you.
    Thanks.
    Ian

www.colorwarphotos.com

My mother (80) brought these to my attention today, going through some old family pics. They are post war pics of her brother, (my uncle) Joe (died 1985), an aeronautical engineer, working on Aircraft at a company called Skyways in Surrey, England. July 1948.

Lancaster sky trainer
    UncleJoeinLancasterBomber-SkywaySurreyJuly1948a.jpg

Looks like a Wellington bomber ?
    UncleJoeworkingonWellingtonBomberSkywaySurreyJuly1948a.jpg

marc if i was a little terrrorist i would just copy and paste these amazing photos onto my war photo forum but instead i am going to politely ask you to add them.
    I know there are many military photo collectors that would love to see your stuff !

Thanks and best wishes.
    Ian

• Advertisement

sure Ian, will do, glad you like em. I have a few others, like this example below.

AuntieDoreenRAF1944.jpg

My aunt Doreen (died 2006) in the WAFS 1944. My uncle met her serving in the RAF. Her fiance, a Canadian, was killed in an air raid over Germany in November 1944, after which she met my uncle Joe. He settled in Surrey when they got married after the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

marcsignal wrote: »
    Looks like a Wellington bomber ?

I think that both photographs are of Lancasters. The 2nd one has bomb bay converted to a passanger cabin and hence the windows. I don't think I have seen such a picture before, but, hands up, post-war ex-RAF isn't really my thing.
    Wellington was much smaller and covered with fabric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Underbelly on the second looks too low and too curved for a lanc imho.

not sure myself, the only thing i noticed was that thing sticking up from the fuselage in the hangar window, you'll see the part i'm talking about here on the top of the pic

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49085000/jpg/_49085969_wellington_bomber_624x490_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

Just wanted to say thanks for all the photos guys!
    never been able to find this many till i was wondering around boards one day!
    Thankin' you!
    -Vinny xXx

tricky D wrote: »
    Underbelly on the second looks too low and too curved for a lanc imho.

Well, close enough: Avro York, delivered from Lancaster :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Apparently a rare image, this is how the German's recovered seaplanes in coastal areas. They could also be catapulted from these ships. Photo taken near Bergen, Norway.

1273215773000_sj_fly_3219459698x698r.jpeg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Some more from Norway. These are sketches done by German soldiers billeted in a school in Norway. (They were removed from the walls and are in a private collection now as the school was refurbished).

1270899388000_img579_3175765698x698r.jpg

1270899407000_img578_3175766698x698r.jpg

1270899437000_img577_3175767698x698r.jpg

FiSe wrote: »
    Well, close enough: Avro York, delivered from Lancaster :D

think you may have nailed it there FiSe :)

those round windows, and the flaps look bloody close to the pic i posted

Those pics from Norway are great Diflyn !! excellent find

Dyflin wrote: »
    Apparently a rare image, this is how the German's recovered seaplanes in coastal areas. They could also be catapulted from these ships. Photo taken near Bergen, Norway.

Excellent pictures. I think 'maritime aviation' is one part of ww2 not very well known. Many people do not know that late war u-boats had (what were effectively) one man helicopters :

uboat.gif

u-boat20helicopter1.jpg

Or about the Jap sub that was also an aircraft carrier :

i400hamgar3.jpg

On a related note a fellow collector recently lent me a ww2 german photo album to photograph which includes pictures taken from the window of a seaplane coming in to land. Then pictures of it half submerged after it crashed on landing. I will post them on this thread when I get them online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭killerking

German infantryman.

Nederland-06.jpg

Russian infantryman.

Great-Russian_aiming_MP-px800.jpg

British infantryman.

DlT_80_1%23

American infantryman.

BVQUD00Z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭killerking

My Grandfather (2nd from left, standing beside the Oriental bloke with the trilby hat) on the deck of the SS Severn Leigh in 1937 somewhere in the Far East.

Grandad-SevernLeigh1937.jpg

A pic of his Discharge Book showing his time on the SS Severn Leigh.
    (First Entry)

FranconiaWW21.jpg

The Fate of the SS Severn Leigh in 1940 below.

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?14971

@ colorwarphotos : I haven't forgotten about uploading these on your site, I'll get to in over the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

just posted this in the photos that shook the world thread, seems apropriate here to

Battle of the Bulge
    it certainly shocked the allies and was the last big offensive of the germans in the west.

Poteau Ambush
    on December 18, 1944 the 14th US Cavalry Group, was ambushed by Kampfgruppe Hansen.
    the photos and films that follow were captured by the americans from a Waffen-SS war correspondent. the shots were posed for after the ambush, but seem to have been just hours after.

a US newsreel
    this is from the time and not a modern documentery.
    3:45 to 4.35 is the ambush

Poteau Ambush

Another film from after the ambush

Aerial shot of the ambush
    Numbers correspond to the following images
    Poteau_photo_0.jpg

1. the standing soldier is wearing a captured US coat
    file.php?id=101569
    2.A famous shot, he can be seen in the third video above also
    Poteau_photo_2.jpg
    Poteau_photo_3.jpg
    4. same soldier as image 2, notice also the captured pistol
    Poteau_photo_4.jpg
    Poteau_photo_5.jpg
    6. sodier on the right has a captured m1 carbine, seen again below
    Poteau_photo_6.jpg
    hansen%20r.JPG
    8. burning jeeps
    Poteau_photo_8.html

Cameraman filming
    ambush
    Captured Rifle m1 carbine
    poteau1.jpg
    Smoking
    KG+Hansen02
    Another famous shot of the ambush
    battle3l.jpg
    Resting
    file.php?id=101567
    Jagdpanzer IV
    file.php?id=101492

limited to 15 images so a few had to be cut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

After battle shots of German soldiers on the eastern front;
    stalingrad_dead_german_invaders.jpg

stalingrad_dead_german_invaders2.jpg

stalingrad_dead_german_invaders3a.jpg

Those shots of frozen bodies are from the 'collection point' ater Stalingrad. I believe.
    On the 1st one, in the top right corner, you can see German POWs gathering around lorry, probably after another 'dump'. You can see how the bodies are pilled up - one pile, one load.
    And, although, there are WH soldiers clearly visible on the last two photographs, soldiers from all sides would be gathered and burried in mass graves.

....just thinking, maybe they were left as they were.

FiSe wrote: »
    Those shots of frozen bodies are from the 'collection point' ater Stalingrad. I believe.

I remember seeing them before in relation to Stalingrad. They're particularlly horrific.

In the top one you mentioned, at the bottom of the pic, left of centre, a pair of legs can be clearly seen standing up on their own, without a body attached :eek:

The sheer scale of the slaughter is difficult to properly comprehend.. very very sad to see.

My sister married a German in 1984. She has lived in Munich since 1972. His Father "Willi" was in the HJ and was a highly decorated member of the Waffen SS Divisions Wiking, Nordland, and Germania. Like many other waffen SS members, he was interred in KZ Dachau at wars end, and later released. He was originally from what is now Poland (Then Germany) Luckily his wife "Charlotte" and child escaped the Russians at wars end and made it to the West.

"Willi" and "Charlotte" settled in the district around Dachau after his release because they had nothing, no money, no home, no posessions. Years later my Brother in Law was born, who met my sister and they consequently married.

Despite the image of the SS, Willi was a very nice old man, who spoke frankly about the war and never tried to play down his wartime service in the Waffen SS. I had many long conversations with him about this, but never felt I had to judge him for anything he may, or may not have done. He always maintained that in joining up, he made the decision that he believed was right at the time, for himself and his wife and family.

I have ommited his family name from this post for the purposes of privacy, and am simply posting these pics for posters perusal.

I also realise there are posters on this forum who may have strong negative feelings about the SS. However I would ask, that if you don't approve, please don't bollock me out of it, or post any derogatory replies, as a result of my sharing these pictures.

Willi died in 2007.

HJ ID Card
    DSCN7937.jpg

DSCN7936.jpg

Willi on leave from the front with his Mother and Friend (year unknown)
    DSCN7939.jpg

Willi on leave from the front with his Mother and Father (year unknown)
    DSCN7940.jpg

Willi and Charlottes wedding (year unknown)
    DSCN7941.jpg

Unknown friend of Willi
    DSCN7945.jpg

Willi RHS (year and location unknown)
    DSCN7947.jpg

Willi (possibly in Bad Tolz)
    DSCN7948.jpg

Willi with his Dad, a WW1 Veteran
    DSCN7950.jpg

Arbeitsdienst, year and location unknown.
    DSCN7951.jpg

DSCN7952.jpg

DSCN7953.jpg

DSCN7954.jpg

DSCN7935.jpg

Yours truly with Willi in 2005.
    He was awarded all of the decorations attached to the framed pic for his service during the war.
    ws2.jpg

Willi in 2005 R.I.P.
    ws.jpg

A portrait of Willi in uniform, painted by his son shortly after his death.
    foto009.jpg

• Advertisement

That's very interesting and I am sure he had some interesting stories to tell. Quite highly decorated too - it's hard to make out but looks like an Infantry Assault Badge, Iron Cross 2nd Class, Winterschlacht im Osten, Anschluss and possibly a KVK. Also the Wound badge in Black (from the painting) and in one of the other photos what I guess is his fathers Hindenburg/Front fighters cross for WW1 Veterans.

Advertisement