Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Images of the Second World War - Possibly NSFW

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Eh Marc, do you have the names of the other guys on the Severnleigh??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Eh Marc, do you have the names of the other guys on the Severnleigh??

No, unfortunately not Mahatma. I've been trying to search for some kind of crew archive on the site below. He worked for White Star / Cunard Line so it's possible I may come across what I'm looking for through some enthusiasts website eventually.

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?14971

I also remember having another photo of him on the deck of the same boat with the guy with the guitar, but I can't find it. my Grandad seemed to be a bit of an 'Uncle Albert' from 'Only Fools and Horses' tho, judging by his discharge books, because many of the ships he served on during WW1 were sunk on their return voyages after he had left the ship :D
    Morlar wrote: »
    That's very interesting and I am sure he had some interesting stories to tell. Quite highly decorated too - it's hard to make out but looks like an Infantry Assault Badge, Iron Cross 2nd Class, Winterschlacht im Osten, Anschluss and possibly a KVK. Also the Wound badge in Black (from the painting) and in one of the other photos what I guess is his fathers Hindenburg/Front fighters cross for WW1 Veterans.

Winterschlacht im Osten award : He used to call this his 'Frozen Meat Medal'

Iron Cross 2nd Class award : He was awarded this for ordering an 88 Crew to fire on a heavily camouflaged barge the Russians were using to cross a lake. He noticed that this 'small island' was moving slowly across the water. As a result of his diligence, the barge took a direct hit and was blown to bits. All of the Russian troops on board were killed, or subsequently drowned.

Ah Well, fair enough Marc, onme of em sorta reminds me of a cousin and his Da had been Merchant Navy around the same in the Far East.

Was Willie's Surname Signal?????:D:D:D
    Did he drive a BMW :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Was Willie's Surname
    Signal?????:D:D:D
    God No... I'm sure he read the mag tho .... ;)
    http://www.signalmagazine.com/signal.htm
    Did he drive a BMW :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Naw, an old golf which he put into a ditch one night when we were driving back from a vets night in the pub... full of schnapps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

What year did uncle "willi" join the Waffen-SS? Did he go straight from HJ to the SS?

• Advertisement

Mousey- wrote: »
    What year did uncle "willi" join the Waffen-SS? Did he go straight from HJ to the SS?

not sure Mousey, afaik he went from the HJ to the Arbietsdienst (Labour Service) but pretty sure he was in the SS before the war started.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

...and in NSDAP I believe? Judging by the badge on his tie.

Just out of curiosity, he was obviously an artillery man, as the incident with the 88 suggest, but looking at the types of the uniforms, was he selfpropelled gun crewman later on?
    Any pictures of his mount?

Dachau, survivor of the Wiking/Nordland massacre in there, or just coincidence?

And lastly, I always wonder about those medals in general, how come that the ex-axis soldiers have their medals in their possession. I thought that anything which had something to do with 3rd Reich was removed from their uniforms as soon as they entered gate of POW camp - nat. insignia from the chest, shoulder straps, collar badges, medals... were those re-issued later on or was there some sort of 'medal-bank' with a name-box in in?
    I can imagine that any medal was cool souvenir for folks over the ocean.
    Just curious, it's the same with east and west POW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I have wondered about that too.

I think many medals would have been kept with family (along with the award docuemnt) and the ribbon worn.

Others including the IAB would not have survived captivity and may be replacements either official or otherwise.

The ones re-issued officially after 1957 of course were of a completely modified design.

I have read of isolated instances where earlier in the war prisoners in american captivity kept their insignia and even saluted in the customary manner. I doubt this policy lasted too long though it is possible items were taken and returned on release. In soviet captivity I'd expect nothing to survive having read accounts of even the gold fillings being removed with pliers, shoes /boots taken away and so on. This would of course be even worse in the case of an ss prisoner the vast majority of whom didn't survive soviet captivity.

Not really sure of those details Fise. My nephew (his Grandson) is caretaker of all of his stuff now, and has built up a chronology of his wartime service over the years, so I can find out over the next while. I'm not sure in what order he served in the relevant Divisions, but the Grandson does still have his original cuff titles etc, so maybe he will know. I do know he did still have his uniform after the war, because, believe it or not, my brother in law remembers it still being in the house as he grew up in the late 50s. In fact I believe it was lost after it was loaned to someone for a costume party, and never returned.
    I think many medals would have been kept with family (along with the award docuemnt) and the ribbon worn.

yeah afaik that would seem likely, looking at those medals up close, they looked their age. I'll tryn get the nephew to take some detailed pics (front and back) and mail them over so I can post.

Thanks.
    And if he was serving as a crewman on one of those self propelled guns and if you can get a picture or two that would be a bonus /you can PM or email them to me, no rush/.
    It would be nice to have a modelling project 'with a face'

• Advertisement

2 A.R.P. men in Dublin during WW2, location unknown, possibly Dublin 4.
    The man on the left is named as Bernard Tonge.

BernardTonge-ARPManDublinWW2.jpg

Air Raid Wardens in Dublin during WW2, Location and year unknown.
    dublinairraidwardens.jpg

A.R.P. men survey damage after the North Strand Bombing May 31st 1941
    northstrandbombing.jpg

Irish Army Vickers Machine Gun team in the 1930s, with German style helmets.

IrishArmy1930s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

They were croatian muslims if I am not mistaken - they fought with the germans in the balkans (while the serbs fought against the germans).

You are very much mistaken!! The Ustashe were Croatian Catholic Nationalists. Deadly enemies of the Serbs. They weren't too keen on Muslims either. Or Jews.

They were allied with the Nazis and ran a puppet state in Croatia following the German invasion and dismemberment of Yugoslavia. Their brutality was such that even the Germans complained about their worst excesses. Tito sorted them out rather brutally after the war, but the bitterness and inter-community hatred from the war, and indeed from many earlier wars preceding the big one, flared up again in the 1990s when Yugoslavia imploded.

An Irish connection is that one of the Croatian puppet state's big wigs, an Ustashe member called Andrija Artukovic hid out in Dublin under an assumed name for a while after the war before escaping to America.

the Ustasi did in fact have Bosnian Muslims in its Ranks
    Wiki wrote:
    The Ustaše used Starčević's theories to promote the annexation of Bosnia and Herzegovina to Croatia and recognized Croatia as having two major ethnocultural components: Catholic Croats and Muslim Croats.[17] The Ustaše deliberately sought to represent Starčević as being connected to their views, and falsely asserted that Starčević as a liberal never supported human equality or women's equality while portraying him as a racist.[18]

149956.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Apologies in advance if this isn't the place for this but, I really needed to share this with someone as it is possibly the strangest photo I've seen in a while.

http://gawker.com/#!5780316/a-picture-of-hitlers-mistress-in-blackface

Life magazine have just digitised Eva Braun's personal photos and they are just fascinating. Complete collection here...

http://www.life.com/image/109852765/in-gallery/57511#index/4

diddlybit wrote: »
    Apologies in advance if this isn't the place for this but, I really needed to share this with someone as it is possibly the strangest photo I've seen in a while.

http://gawker.com/#!5780316/a-picture-of-hitlers-mistress-in-blackface

Life magazine have just digitised Eva Braun's personal photos and they are just fascinating. Complete collection here...

http://www.life.com/image/109852765/in-gallery/57511#index/4

Yep saw that in the independent today. Not that unusual to see a blackened face from the 1930's era though.

Life magazine also has a very impressive Third Reich Colour photo series, I read that they have software that trawls the web using image recognition to catch anyone posting them without their permission however :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

... I read that they have software that trawls the web using image recognition to catch anyone posting them without their permission however :)

http://www.tineye.com does this. It won't catch all images but it's still pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Not that unusual to see a blackened face from the 1930's era though.

True. My incredulity was best phrased by the commentator on Gawker that descibed it as, "Wait, so it's a Nazi woman dressed as a Jewish man who himself is impersonating black people by wearing blackface. Great." :)

• Advertisement

Yep saw that in the independent today. Not that unusual to see a blackened face from the 1930's era though.

Life magazine also has a very impressive Third Reich Colour photo series, I read that they have software that trawls the web using image recognition to catch anyone posting them without their permission however :)

Jaeger file it's called /google: jaeger file source:life

Impressive stuff

Most are propaganda shots (and not all of them Communist) but some of these are quite good, never seen an anti-tank rifle used in air defence:

armia-czerwona-63.jpg

http://www.themysteryworld.com/2010/11/red-army-during-world-war-ii-109-pics.html

Posted the last 3 of these before, but came across some more.

Police and Officials survey damage to a house in Rathdown Park Terenure after German bombs fell in the early hours of January 2nd 1941

Further info Here

4.jpg

3-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

Image4001-1.jpg

Image0400-1.jpg

Image002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Not quite WW2 but still a good advert for German wartime manufacturing standards.
    MP40_29042011-1.jpg

Not quite WW2 but still a good advert for German wartime manufacturing standards.

Great pic ! There must have been quite a few MP40s knocking around Lybia after WW2. Would love to know where the guy in the pic got his.

marcsignal wrote: »
    Great pic ! There must have been quite a few MP40s knocking around Lybia after WW2. Would love to know where the guy in the pic got his.

Here are some pics of Libya under the Deutsche Afrika-Korps :

http://www.militaria-archive.com/Luftwaffe-DAK/index.html

WWI_Picture_Postcard34.jpg
    & reverse
    WWI_Picture_Postcard35.jpg

http://www.militaria-archive.com/Luftwaffe-DAK/index.html

Hats off for all the work you've done putting that site together Morlar, it really is first class. :)

I particularly like the way you've included the flip side of the photos. The handwritten captions are great and add a human element that would otherwise go unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Is that photo giving a location of Misirata? ie where the most intense of the current fighting in Libya is going on?

Also nice pic of the guy with the MP40! That magazine receiver looks a bit banged up though :eek:

Is that photo giving a location of Misirata? ie where the most intense of the current fighting in Libya is going on?

Also nice pic of the guy with the MP40! That magazine receiver looks a bit banged up though :eek:

Yes a lot of the photos are from there. I got those about 2 yrs ago and had to look it up on the map. I believe they spelled it differently but it is the same place. Also Tripoli and Bengazi I believe, as well as Italy and Greece.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 colorwarphotos

hi guys.
    I just wanted to let you know.
    I changed the name of my forum today.
    the new name and address is PIXPAST.com

Thanks and best wishes.
    Ian

www.pixpast.com
    sharing our photographic past

Advertisement