Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VIII

Options
  • 08-04-2008 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Just on to the 3rd disc and normally where i am now in most FF games most my party are around about the same level but in this one my levels are all over the gaff. Can someone tell me will i be in trouble later if i dont start leveling up my lower levels?...as in will my party be split up into teams near or at the final battle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

In final fantasy 8, levels dont matter. In fact, you're advised NOT to level up! This is because the bosses get harder depending on your level. And because of the junction system, you can make your stats as high as you like, regardless of your level

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Im just on the 4th disc now and im having problems with Adel. My party stats are squall: 46, zell: 33 and selphie: 23. This is the boss fight where Rinoa is attached to the boss who is also draining HP off her.

Cause my levels are low and Rinoa is in the way i can do feck all damage before Adel starts killing off my party with likes of meteor. Im posting this to see if anyone has some good battle tactics or should i just give up and start leveling before trying this boss again?

Well, first of all, try to increase your hp levels so that you can withstand attacks. Have you got hp junction for all characters? Try to have a 100 junction of curaga or some other powerful healing magic. This should give a boost of hp.

Also try junctioning powerful magics to strength or magic ability. Also, GF's are your friend! Summon them and use boost (holding select and pressing square i think).

As i said earlier, it is more effective to junction high powered magic than it is to go leveling up. Maybe you need to draw more high powered magic from enemies?

Junction curaga...dont have 100 of em but ill give it a go...i do have 100 cura though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just find an enemy who has Curaga, and spam draw on him until you have 100 for each character. Then junction in to your hp and viola...super health.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think summons are the way to go with this battle since you'll end up damaging that silly bint rinoa as well. Junction your most powerful spells to physical attacks and just beat the crap out of her just make sure you have one person healing rinoa and the party.

carbonkid wrote: »
    Junction curaga...dont have 100 of em but ill give it a go...i do have 100 cura though!

There is an easier way to get curaga in the game. Get Diabolos (or whichever GF) to learn the ability that allows you to change items into magic. Then there is an item (elixirs or tents, cant remember) that changes to curaga. Just go to a shop and buy loads of that item and convert. This way you can get 100 curaga junctioned to each characters HP.

Also, retrogamer is right. GF's are powerful in battle but probably not this one because of Rinoa. Also, i think you can heal Rinoa?!

So have two attackers in the party, and one healer. Make the healer heal the party on one turn and heal Rinoa on the next turn etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

animaX wrote: »
    There is an easier way to get curaga in the game. Get Diabolos (or whichever GF) to learn the ability that allows you to change items into magic. Then there is an item (elixirs or tents, cant remember) that changes to curaga. Just go to a shop and buy loads of that item and convert. This way you can get 100 curaga junctioned to each characters HP.

Also, retrogamer is right. GF's are powerful in battle but probably not this one because of Rinoa. Also, i think you can heal Rinoa?!

So have two attackers in the party, and one healer. Make the healer heal the party on one turn and heal Rinoa on the next turn etc

Even easier, if you have Diablos, which on disc 4 there is no excuse for not, learn no encounters and fly to islands closest to heaven and hell and use draw points for the win!!!

Such a broken game mechanic. I played for a 5 hour stretch on disc 2 before and killed every single enemy with renzokuken... End of disc bosses, rolf! Killed in 3 or 4 renzo+rough divide! Still, love it-mainly because it can be so abused!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And if you don't know how to abuse the system the game is an absolute ballox at parts. You end up using GFs exclusively and having to watch their 5 minute summons every time is a pain in the swiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 L4Flare

Man i havent played FF8 in years. I had awful trouble getting through that game. I remember being stuck on the bus thats under Balamb Garden and ended up buying the walkthrough to help me. Great storyline however, however i've never played it since

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And if you don't know how to abuse the system the game is an absolute ballox at parts. You end up using GFs exclusively and having to watch their 5 minute summons every time is a pain in the swiss.

Oh man i was in such a rough place there for a bit. I was playing it mostly using my GFs and auto junctioning magic. Make things worse i couldnt leave the area (cause stupid Rinoa was in trouble ><) to draw 100 curaga and one the few GFs i missed was siren who i needed to forge tent into 10curaga.

Tried every possible way of mixing things up, battled Adel...i think 8 times, all really long drawn out battles. Thought this was going to be the first FF game i couldnt beat. I had zell dead, and both squall and Irvine had about 200 HP each and no curaga. Went f*ck it and just used their limit breaks...couldnt believe it when it beat him ^^

Those victories are always the ones that feel the best...even though they wreak your head during ¬_¬

L4Flare wrote: »
    Great storyline however, however i've never played it since

Jesus the storyline is god awful!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I didnt mind the story, but i hate it when they do a super villian who just appears on the last disc, who was actually responsible for all the evils that have happened. The last time i played though it, i cheated. Just made my characters super powered, so i could stick to the story, and ignore the fights. Random battles piss me off.

Can someone tell me how to make my limit breaks super power in this game? Any junction tips apart from whats been mentioned already would be cool too.

There's no trick to junctioning, just draw 100 of the best spells and use the auto junction options, no need to be dicking around with the needlessly complicated systems.

Also make sure you abuse the +1 attribute per level GF abilities. Just exclusively learn the xx% attribute abilities and you will eventually learn them.

Thanx man...all i needed was to level up a few levels to make the battle a little less random. I hate that stupid pain spell ><

The FMVs were pretty cool but otherwise i wasn't too impressed by this game...then again if i played it again it'll be very differently...yay...hours n hours of drawing fun ^^

For anyone whose up against Ultimecia and is wondering if theres any point leveling up a bit, her HP is fixed and wont level up as you do, unlike some of the other monsters in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Diggins

am currently replaying this game too but am only at the start of the second disk in the prison. my charachters are squall level 38 zell level 29 and irine level 24 and im finding everything far too easy! went on a bit of a rampage leveling up at the start because its just soo easy in this game! one thing that is annoying is that i still havent even used ONE limit break and its almost like i dont know how to use them anymore! also my gfs level are all over the place with shiva on 50, quezy and ifrit on 30ish and the brother siren and diablo on 16ish did anyone elses end up like this?

Diggins wrote: »
    am currently replaying this game too but am only at the start of the second disk in the prison. my charachters are squall level 38 zell level 29 and irine level 24 and im finding everything far too easy! went on a bit of a rampage leveling up at the start because its just soo easy in this game! one thing that is annoying is that i still havent even used ONE limit break and its almost like i dont know how to use them anymore! also my gfs level are all over the place with shiva on 50, quezy and ifrit on 30ish and the brother siren and diablo on 16ish did anyone elses end up like this?

God that prison was a pain in the arse!
    The easiest way to get many limit breaks is to junction 100 curaga (or another powerful restorative magic) to your HP. This will give you a huge boost in HP. Then you can allow your hp to drop to about 50-40% during a battle without your enemies being strong enough to kill you. Then its just a matter of constantly pressing circle (i think) until a limit break arises. Of course it is risky to keep your hp at 40-50% instead of 100% but if you are powerful (as you say you are) then it shouldnt be a problem.

Also i dont think the GF levels matter that much. As long as you junction powerful magic to your magic ability and use boost then your GF's will be powerful

The most important thing about GFs is just to gain lots of ap (at least thats what i think it was called) and get access to all the GFs add-on abilities.
    Diggins wrote: »
    my charachters are squall level 38 zell level 29 and irine level 24 and im finding everything far too easy!

Wow dude thats insane...thats about what i was at when i got to the final castle. In some cases i think it wont make a difference...ive read some monsters levels get higher depending on the average level of your three party members...but the monsters also have a cap.

Dont do what i did and rely on your GFs too much...stock up on your most power/available magics, like 100 of each. Thing about this game is magic is actually more useful if stocked rather than used.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I lost all interest in the game after disc one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Great game. Played through it loads of times. Great place to level up early is outside timber at the cliffs near the garden. You get like 5ap per battle and some good spells to draw. Also you'll have Irvine by then so you don't have to build him up later. Handy.

Great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭matthew26

Bleh. I hated the plot device called the guardian forces. I'm sure you'll know what I mean when you get to the later part of the story.

matthew26 wrote: »
    Bleh. I hated the plot device called the guardian forces. I'm sure you'll know what I mean when you get to the later part of the story.

Absolutely disgraceful wasn't it :)

Yes. Whoever suggested that needs a good shaking. (The plot device involves memory loss, if some people still don't know).

Yes. Whoever suggested that needs a good shaking. (The plot device involves memory loss, if some people still don't know).

Lol...oh yea i totally forgot about that...remember been really into the characters and plot up till the end of disc one.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I think that plot device was supposed to be a throwback to Final Fantasy III..

But yeah, it was stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Love or hate this game I think most of us will agree that the music in it is superb.

I enjoyed it myself, although hated the battle system with drawing magic...
    Hated the boss you're stuck on though, I normally just nuke bosses to death, but for this one you can't do that sadly.

True. I know a lot of people who knows Eyes on Me without even playing FFVIII.

True. I know a lot of people who knows Eyes on Me without even playing FFVIII.

I thought Eyes on Me was utter ballox by far the lowest point in an excellent soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I thought Eyes on Me was utter ballox by far the lowest point in an excellent soundtrack.
    Really? I liked it, but I guess it's not exactly a "cool kids" song.

But anyway, when I was referring to the soundtrack I was thinking more along the lines of the music when you are sailing to Dollet on your SeeD exam, and a few others like that.

Advertisement