Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

royalty/rights free music q

Options
  • 08-04-2008 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

does anyone know what music can be played in shops without subscribing to imro. can you play classical music without having to subscribe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

does anyone know what music can be played in shops without subscribing to imro. can you play classical music without having to subscribe.

probably not; IMRO don't just look after the writer/publishers of the music, they also look after the performers. You could probably get away with playing Nigel Kennedy doing the 4 Seasons with the St Martin in the Fields orchestra, but you'd have to kill them all first. And their dependants...

The management and staff of boards.ie would like to point out that this post does not actually endorse killing Nigel Kennedy in the interests of playing music royalty free in shops...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Still not a bad idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

As far as I know you have to pay imro even if the music if "royalty free"

Trouble is there isn't really any royalty free music because even if the music is in the public domain, ie the composer has died 70 years previously and whatever other conditions there are (i know thats not 100% correct but I know i'm going along the right lines) somebody had to perform the music you will be playing and mix and master the music and they all have entitlements to payment for the work they completed, ie recording a new version of the song

hope that helps :)

Advertisement