Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Coast Cooler !!

Options
  • 08-04-2008 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

I have noticed recently that in some pubs here in Donegal West Coast Cooler is being classed as an alco-pop and in others its not. Most times this can create a difference in price of a euro or more. This situation has only come up in recent months. Technically its not an alco-pop as far as I know.I work in a pub that does not consider it an alco-pop. What are your views and what is the situation in the rest of the country

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's not an alco-pop really but it is thrown into the 'Girl Drink' category as, like WKD, Smirnoff Ice, etc it is mostly (and probably should only be) girls who drink it. Makes good business sense to milk an extra euro from it if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭donaghs

Am I right in thinking that supermarkets charge nearly the price of a bottle of wine for it, but it only 4% alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

of course it's an alcopop!! only people who drink it are kids and girls who hate alcohol and are pished after 2 of them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I agree with Beerlao.

But I dont see it as an alcopop where it is basically a pop(lemonade)

I think it is a pop as in a popular girly drink. (Like Pop music) because it is not really drink like Pop music is not really music.

If it tastes so sweet that you would not know it is alcohol unless you were told then it is not really proper for a guy to drink it!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

They use to sell 4 packs of em with a free girsl night in cd,

There technically not alcopops as there sorta ready made wine spritzer,
    but I dont think anyone who drinks them is every going to care,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Wouldn't really consider it an alcho-pop but its most definitely to be considered tart-fuel. I've noticed lot of young wans drinking it lately though so i suppose the pubs are trying to make a quick buck off of it. That is unless the taxman has labelled it as an alcho-pop and so the duty would be higher on it at wholesale and the pubs would have a legitimate reason to charge a higher price.
    Under no circumstances should a fella be seen drinking the stuff! A mate of mine was spotted drinking from a bottle of Ritz about 10 years ago and is still getting grief over it. Feckin Bacardi Geezers!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's not an alco-pop really but it is thrown into the 'Girl Drink' category as, like WKD, Smirnoff Ice, etc it is mostly (and probably should only be) girls who drink it. Makes good business sense to milk an extra euro from it if possible.

Very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i love how in the wkd ads it's targeted at men, but i've rarely seen men drinking th stuff

I find alcopops can be big with brits,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

That is a english advert, i've been to london a few times and noticed alot of the men over there drink alcopops... I can think of one word and i just cant post it.. result = ban.

• Advertisement

Ban?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If in doubt, leave it out.

Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Does anyone know the name of the drink very similar to west coast cooler that begins with a J? It's driving me mad that I can't think of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

nerdysal wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the drink very similar to west coast cooler that begins with a J? It's driving me mad that I can't think of it...

This might be of some help http://www.drinkswap.com/browse-drinks/index.asp?letter=J

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tommmy

well i is a guy and i drink west coast cooler.amd no im not gay.its not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

loves west coast but have to put vodka in it to give it a kick........

nerdysal wrote: »

this might be a bit late but jolie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Con Con

Jolie is sparkling wine with creme de cassis.

WCC is wine based. "White wine with fruit flavours."

So thats a similarity, fruity, grape based.

They're both sickeningly sweet though. Definitely a fairy drink :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

me a bit of a fairy so.......dont forget the vodka.........:):p:)

• Advertisement

tommmy wrote: »
    its not that bad.

I dropped a bottle of this stuff at work today. If the smell of it is anything to go by, I'd stay well clear. Really really sweet, how much sugar do IDL put into that stuff?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

[mod hat on]

less of the "fairy" comments lads.

Also.

Lets not go down the road of binge drinking/alcohol abuse either.

Thanks

Des

[/mod hat off]

Advertisement