Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident Black Spots

Options
  • 08-04-2008 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Has the amount of money being spent on the road system resulted in a drop in the number of officially signposted accident black spots?

Has anyone seen an accident blackspot being eradicated through road improvements in their locality in the last few years?

Has anyone seen a speed camera erected on the approach to an accident black spot in an effort to slow traffic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hagar wrote: »
    Has anyone seen an accident blackspot being eradicated through road improvements in their locality in the last few years?
    Are you asking if accidents have been eradicated or simply the signage indicating an 'Accident Black Spot'?

I know a few (not in my locality) where bends have been straightened and signage removed but I don't know if there has been a reduction in accidents.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yes. There was a particularly bad bridge on a bend where a relatively large number of people were killed in my area in the N/E. Thankfully it's bypassed now. The bridge still stands, there are various memorials on it but no traffic.
    Has anyone seen a speed camera erected on the approach to an accident black spot in an effort to slow traffic?

No. I've yet to see one outside a school or hospital. I only ever see them on near straight stretches of road with considerable visibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I suppose both really. I remember seeing accident black spots signs so old that they were rusting and fading. It made me think that nothing had been done to improve the situation for a very long even though the danger was acknowledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I remember seeing accident black spots signs so old that they were rusting and fading
    Yes, most of them seem to be quite old. I don't think they are 'official' anymore (open to correction).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Around my area most of the accident black spot signs are now accompanied by a shiny new speed limit sign.

Makes particular good sense when it is an old style N road that is totally overwhelmed with traffic and you come up to a particularly dangerous bit and right next to the "accident black spot" it says "100 km/h" :D (and the top speed you can safely do in normal conditions is something between 60 and 80, depending on what you're driving)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cappo

Remember an interview with a Swedish safety expert on RTE radio some time ago and when asked about “black spots” he seemed not to understand what the presenter was talking about. The reporter thought it might be a language problem and told him about the signage approaching a dangerous bend. The expert laughed and explained the in Sweden they simply fixed the “black spot” by road engineering!

Maybe it might catch on here! :)

Advertisement