Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crawling down mainstreet

Options
  • 08-04-2008 8:47am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Maybe it's always being like this but i just noticed yesterday that the speed limit on the main street in Portarlington is 30KPH.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

not that youd ever get down it any faster I hate that main st! didn't realise that was the limit on it tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I'm a (nervous) learner driver so I'd always go on the Link road to avoid the Main Street - cars parked on both sides, people just randomly wandering out in front of you, car doors swinging open suddenly. Yikes, just thinking about is giving me heart palpatations. :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,464 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there is no actual need for it to be open to cars IMHO. I believe from the anvil to the square should be pedestrianised. Foxcroft street should be made the other way (if you get me).

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Silent Rain

Dont think pedestrianising it would help much, getting parking around town is tough enough already, without adding all the cars that usually park on the street to those in the car parks. I remember the confusion that was caused when they went from 2-way to 1-way, changing to a pedestrian zone would be sure to cause carnage :).

They shouldnt allow parking on it any way is far too narrow and with some peoples parking skills...its an accident waiting to happen

+1 on pedestrianising it

• Advertisement

when they bring in paid parking you'll see a marked difference in parking habits.

with any change theres bound to be teething issues, i can also remember a number of tools driving up the wrong way... i think i can even recall one this year as well.

my point is that there is no need for cars to park on that stretch of main street. parking at super value, cost cutters and the peoples park parking area all give easy access to main street. there are a minimal amount of dwelling houses on this area of main street as well, so they can be easily catered for. I don't know of any residence that uses main street as their permanent parking, most use the square.

i think it would work fine. it always surprises how comfortable port is on paddys day when main street is closed off to traffic, its a joy...... and as a parent who has pushed both single and double buggies, the current situation is a complete disaster.

What do you expect them to do ? Put up a multi-story car park somewhere or get rid of the People's Park ? Dont suggest "They Pave Paradise to Put Up a Parking Lot !!"...... :)

just as an extra, as tesco isnt going to go on that land near the weighbridge, i wonder would the powers that be consider a multi storey??

Apologies I was repying to the earlier response before reading yours

are there plans to bring pd parking in? It is a serious hazard to people with buggies have seen load of people with pram having to go on to the road. Mind you in regards to parking it the same all over the town down by the school is a joke!

• Advertisement

no probs... we posted at the same time.....

i definitely think between costcutters, the square, supervalue and peoples park, theres enough spaces. if they can make some 'paid parking' that will also reduce the load on them.

undecided wrote: »
    are there plans to bring pd parking in? It is a serious hazard to people with buggies have seen load of people with pram having to go on to the road. Mind you in regards to parking it the same all over the town down by the school is a joke!

AFAIK there are movements towards it.... early days yet. perhaps contact the PCDA for more info. http://www.portarlingtoncommunity.com/projects-page.html

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Parking in Port does seem a bit scarce alright! We usually park in the town if we are buying something that's too heavy to carry home, otherwise I would just stroll up to Main Street (live at the top of Station Road so I've no excuse most of the time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i remember when the main street was two way instead of one way. thats about 20 years abo and a lot less traffic. I also remember them digging up the main street across from the anvil and they found an old bridge under there or something to that effect, my memory is vague on that but defo something under there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

On pedestrianizing Main St. don't let Laois Co. Council do it. They fecked up Portlaoise Main St and have been repairing for years and years.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I remember the confusion that was caused when they went from 2-way to 1-way, changing to a pedestrian zone would be sure to cause carnage :).

And their still at it. A mate did it last year. Don't know the full story but he\she did it and in January i stopped a woman as he\she started from the garage up the main st. on a Friday Afternoon. She was a little confused and a totally embarrassed. Luckily their was no other cars coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

i can remember that stevoman, and i remember there was something there, i heard it was a tunnel all the way out to lea castle, maybe im goin mad now but i taught it was something like that... any one know any more on this

ports best wrote: »
    i can remember that stevoman, and i remember there was something there, i heard it was a tunnel all the way out to lea castle, maybe im goin mad now but i taught it was something like that... any one know any more on this

Yeah something like that. There definitly is a tunnel running from near the boys primary school, then to travelgoods and then onto lee castle if my memory serves me correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

cool so we have life underground aswell as in the sky....the recent sightings of ufo's!!!

whats this ufo thing ruby... but yeah for defo there is tunnels under port, kinda cool isnt it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

defo cool!!!!

ah remember a while back there were sightings in the sky???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I remember about 4-5 years ago having an absolute shouting match with another guy who insisted that I should let him go the wrong way down the main street. I met him at Centra there and he wanted me to reverse up and let him by. Ah the good aul days :rolleyes:

I don't know why the council never looked at even just having parking only on one side of the road. The street can be very narrow, especially when muppets park 2-3 foot from the curb, and especially when a taxi stops dead in the middle of the street and expects you to climb over them to get past.

Pedestrianising is unnecessary imo. There'd hardly be enough pedestrians to justify it at times.

and the taxi drivers do that quiet a bit around port

Might be a good iodea to padestrianise the town from the anvil downwards to the square. Then change the flow of traffic in foxcroft the other way. could work....

could work stevoman and they also could go down by the side of the chemist across from toms bar, might not be a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

stevoman wrote: »
    Might be a good iodea to padestrianise the town from the anvil downwards to the square. Then change the flow of traffic in foxcroft the other way. could work....

The problem with that though is that there are a good few residents along main st and they would be entitled to park there.

Also the suggestion about parking at supervalu - are you joking! It's hard enough to get a space there to go in and do your shopping without having the whole town parking there just to walk around to main st! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

sydthebeat wrote: »
    early days yet

Not really,considering that Matthews have closed down access into their car park from Main St.,and the entrance on the link road is set up for ticketed barriers!
    a tunnel running from near the boys primary school, then to travelgoods and then onto lea castle

That would mean they had a tunnel going under the Barrow,and extreme changes in levels....doesn't seem realistic!

Advertisement