Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Reserve fails to meet targets

• 08-04-2008 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

This is a little piece from yesterday's Metro. Was trying to find a link but couldn't, so have to just type it in:

The Garda Reserve has recruited less than 20% of its target numbers. According to the Department of Justice, 1400 reserve posts were planned to bolster the Gardai however, there are currently only 264 members, with another 54 in training. The garda reserve was introduced in 2006 by the then Minister for Justice Michael mcDowell. The first reservists were hired in August 2006. The majority of those who have qualified since then have been deployed in Dublin, with others used in Cork, Galway, Limeric and SLigo. Graduates have come from diverse range of backgrounds and include bus drivers, teachers, bankers and engineers.

So why is that? Not enough applicants, or are they to strict during the selection? I have a mate who once expressed interes on the PAS site, then changed his mind, but they still call him and send him letters asking him to join. At least so he says, but I have no reason not to believe him.

So anyone knows what's the deal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Probable because the majority of people know thats its a hard and sometimes dangerous jobs without thanks so dont want to join. Some possible recruits might be nervous or afraid.

I happen to think that a large amount of people simple had their bluff called.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Who had their bluff called ? people joining or those behind the scenes running the reserve ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭jackhammer

As Karlito said, it's a tough and sometimes dangerous job. I think a factor may be that there's no wage involved. Why should someone put themselves in the firing line for nothing.

I can understand a young person doing it, with the view that it might progess their application for a position as a ful-time garda.

So maybe if the government issued a some sort of wage, then interest might pick up.

I mean reserve firecrew are paid a retainer and call-out fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Probable because the majority of people know thats its a hard and sometimes dangerous jobs without thanks so dont want to join. Some possible recruits might be nervous or afraid.

I would agree, but aswell as that, Garda Management have to be very careful that the wrong type if character doesn't get through the process.

Reserve Gardai will learn a lot about what goes on behind the scenes, about Garda procedures and the workings of the organisation, for the first time there will be non-members with access to "trade secrets" as it were.

Someone with a wrong agenda that can get through the exam, written assessment, interviews, background/security checks and medical and then the training stages could do a lot of damage if they were to pass information on to the wrong people on the outside.

Imagine the damage a self-made journalist could do with an exposé in the papers after spending 2 or 3 years working with the Force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

I'm looking to join in the summer with the hope of down the line of becoming a regular garda.

Couple of thing cross my mind, when the reserve was first proposed alot of regular gardai were angry with the idea. So not sure how regular officers accecpt reserves and possible bitterness at having to babysit so to speak.

The fact you must give 4hrs per week, this mighnt be possible around exam time etc, but ill be willing to make it up say instead of 4 4hr stints do 2 8hr full shifts.

I'm a member of a vol ambulance org and its increadably tough to get people to do any voluntary work. With longer times in full time job, longer commutes etc people are just not willing to give up free time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Couple of thing cross my mind, when the reserve was first proposed alot of regular gardai were angry with the idea. So not sure how regular officers accecpt reserves and possible bitterness at having to babysit so to speak.

At my medical I was talking to a lad who joined Reserve. He said that once he made it clear tht the only reason he's there is to join GS, they were grand. He seemed to love the job anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

ojewriej wrote: »
    At my medical I was talking to a lad who joined Reserve. He said that once he made it clear tht the only reason he's there is to join GS, they were grand. He seemed to love the job anyway.
    If your a decent guy to walk and talk with and your willing to get your hands dirty you will be fine. If you have an attitude of telling us how to do it or are just an A hole then you wont. The anger was never directed at the reserves themselves. Exceptions being the odd person who didnt actually work directly with them reserves.
    jackhammer wrote: »
    So maybe if the government issued a some sort of wage, then interest might pick up.
    They do get a wage, retainer or whatever you wish to call it. Once you have completed your set hours for the year within the year you get your cheque, somehing along the lines of 1000 I think. Remeber though the reserve ff go to calls and are the fire service in the area, reserve gardai are not.
    CO19 wrote: »
    Who had their bluff called ? people joining or those behind the scenes running the reserve ?
    First the Minister, he thought that the entire population would jump in and he would be able to say to the fulltimers, see? You are replaceable, now dont be bold. Didnt happen that way.
    Secondly everyperson who feels the need to snipe at serving Gardai about every aspect of our jobs, how we do them, etc and how they could do a better job and show us how. Well were are these people now? Lot less of them being vocal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Thanks karlitos, you'd want to be silly to tell a reg guard whos had 2 years training plus what ever they've picked up on the street how to do things if you only have a couple of weekends reserve training.

Cheers for clearing up my concerns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Modern life gets in the way. Very few people would have time to spare. Even less would spare their time for free. Those who would volunteer are probably already involved in less dangerous volunteer work.

It was always a ridiculous exercise. You *have* to pay your defence forces or all you're going to get is a handful of patriots.

Advertisement