Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rant about driving

Options
  • 08-04-2008 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

This is just my rant about driving. Im getting fairly pissed off with it. Im about 11/12 miles from galway city and the road i take into the city the speed limit is 50km throuh the villages and 60km outside the villages. Im always doing the speed limit. The same road has a continous white line on most of the road. And yet im always being overtaken. Im obviously being overtaken cause im driving to slow at the speed limit. But at least they're not happy with what im doing and they do something about it and get on with it.

But some of the people i work with if they're driving behind me, il hear about it. They bitch at how slow im goin and sit there behind me. One of them even calls me a granny. They don't even have the guts to overtake and they'l bitch about me doing the speed limit.

Why can't they put some guards on the roads checking the speed, they will be caught. And i can laugh at them with their points and wave at them when they have to walk to work from losing their licence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

60km? What road is this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This morning, on the M50 southbound just after the Sandyford off ramp. I saw an unmarked white van (transit or similar) pull out from the roadworks in what used to be the overtaking lane and drove off, he then put on his hazards, but continued to speed up to speed limit. He continued driving in the overtaking lane with the hazards on until he came up to a group of cars and trucks using both lanes. He moved from the over taking lane to the hard shoulder and undertook all the traffic in his way and eventually rejoined the overtaking lane and continued on past Cherrywood southbound, all the while the hazard lights blinking away. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dyflin wrote: »
    all the while the hazard lights blinking away. :mad:
    He must have got himself confused with a guard car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

lisajane wrote: »
    This is just my rant about driving. Im getting fairly pissed off with it. Im about 11/12 miles from galway city and the road i take into the city the speed limit is 50km throuh the villages and 60km outside the villages. Im always doing the speed limit. The same road has a continous white line on most of the road. And yet im always being overtaken. Im obviously being overtaken cause im driving to slow at the speed limit. But at least they're not happy with what im doing and they do something about it and get on with it.

But some of the people i work with if they're driving behind me, il hear about it. They bitch at how slow im goin and sit there behind me. One of them even calls me a granny. They don't even have the guts to overtake and they'l bitch about me doing the speed limit.

Why can't they put some guards on the roads checking the speed, they will be caught. And i can laugh at them with their points and wave at them when they have to walk to work from losing their licence.

Probably to do with the fact that the speed limit is too low on most roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

X2^

although im amazed that the OP never sees guards on the roads she drives on.

sounds like a guaranteed quota filler to me..........:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'm intrigued as to which road the OP is travelling on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Or more accurately, some people think they're too low.

Or more accurately, some people think they're too low.

meh, I think our problems are to do with driver competency.

It seems like you can go nowhere without meeting a useless driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

meh, I think our problems are to do with driver competency.

It seems like you can go nowhere without meeting a useless driver.

Or one that thinks the regulations don't apply to him

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

D_murph wrote: »
    X2^

although im amazed that the OP never sees guards on the roads she drives on.

sounds like a guaranteed quota filler to me..........:p
    Do you work with cars, busses & trucks speeding past you?
    Maybe if you spent an hour standing inside the roadworks along the M50, you would reconsider your opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There are plenty of ways you can get them back... wiz in their coffee etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

The same road has a continous white line on most of the road.
    They don't even have the guts to overtake and they'l bitch about me doing the speed limit.

Well gutsy or no, at least they're not overtaking on a continuous white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

kbannon wrote: »
    Do you work with cars, busses & trucks speeding past you?
    Maybe if you spent an hour standing inside the roadworks along the M50, you would reconsider your opinion!

i never drove the M50 (thankfully) so i cant complain about it but theres plenty of other roads with stupidly low speed limits here so my opinion stands!!!!!!!

especially when these are the places you are guaranteed to meet speed checks :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Mena wrote: »
    Well gutsy or no, at least they're not overtaking on a continuous white line.

It doen't stop others. They're not worried about getting caught speeding. They shouldn't be worried overtaking. If they overtook me, fine, but instead they bitch about me doing the speed limit.

they bitch about me doing the speed limit.
    I think you're showing great maturity by making your own road safety decision and not giving into bullying.

Bon courage.

It doen't stop others. They're not worried about getting caught speeding. They shouldn't be worried overtaking. If they overtook me, fine, but instead they bitch about me doing the speed limit.
    Still waiting to hear which road it is. Must be some very dodgy back road. I don't suppose there's anywhere you can pull in to let them pass you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

speed limits or not, there are a lot of poeple on Irish roads that drive far too slowly and cause a hazard to other drivers.

I've personally seen some very slow drivers being overtaken by everything from vans/truck to artic lorries and even a hearse! (seriously. it was empty but still a hearse)

tip for road users. when you are in a car and either an articulated lorry or a hearse overtakes you, you can be pretty certain you're going too slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

vibe666 wrote: »
    speed limits or not, there are a lot of poeple on Irish roads that drive far too slowly and cause a hazard to other drivers.
    I do sympathise, but you have to ask yourself whether you really want these people driving outside their comfort zone. We all become dangerous when driving at a speed which we don't feel to be safe.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I do sympathise, but you have to ask yourself whether you really want these people driving outside their comfort zone. We all become dangerous when driving at a speed which we don't feel to be safe.

Well I don't. I don't want them driving at all.
    That's assuming you call what they are doing "driving".

IMO they can't drive so they should not be going out on the road causing disruption and flashing and beeping their horns when somebody overtakes them.

It's no wonder ppl have road rage. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

flashing and beeping their horns when somebody overtakes them.

+1 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

tip for road users. when you are in a car and either an articulated lorry or a hearse overtakes you, you can be pretty certain you're going too slowly.

Either that or they're going too fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lennox1

Why not contact the Traffic Corps at Mill St with your observations,as they may not be aware that the lawbreaking is as bad as you have observed on that particular road.They can't be everywhere as the numbers of traffic corps are not that great from what we hear.They may then observe it themselves and take action against the lawbreakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sherifu wrote: »
    Still waiting to hear which road it is. Must be some very dodgy back road. I don't suppose there's anywhere you can pull in to let them pass you?

It could be the main Roscommon road coming through Turloughmore at 60kph and Lackagh at 50kph, then slowing to 60 and then 50 through Claregalway and going back to 100kph after the turn left up to Whiriskey Refridgeration on Homes' Hill.

Or maybe she's coming from Gort direction, slowing to 60kph then 50kph through Ardrahan, back down to 50kph in Kilcolgan, then back up to 100kph and the relatively straight no overtaking section as far as Clarinbridge, where you're back down to 50kph, the back to 100kph after the bad bends coming out of the village and 100kph all the way into town, but you can't really overtake safely until you hit the dual carraigeway at Oranmore.

Or maybe it's from Oughterard, where you're at 50kph through Moycullen, then a series of bad bends at 100kph, then a decent stretch of road with a good few junctions off it, then more bad turns, then 50kph from Glenlo Abbey through Bushypark into town.

Or, finally, from Spiddal, down to 50kph through Furbo, then back to either 80 or 100kph for a few miles, then back down to 50kph through Barna, then speed up for a couple of seconds and back to 50kph from Silver Strand into town, all on twisty roads that aren't easily passable.

And not a single "back road" in sight there, but plenty of idiots who won't wait for the end of the town limits to overtake over solid white lines or junction crosshatches because they have no patience.

As for the pulling in to let them pass bit of the comment, a lot of these towns now have footpaths replacing the hard shoulder, so no, there isn't anywhere to pull in, and why should she if she's already at the limit?

(2 weeks ago I came out of Claregalway, obeying the new speed limit out to Homes' Hill, and some idiot in a red '06 Hilux Crewcab came from 3 cars back to overtake over a junction crosshatch and into oncoming traffic. If he had waited 10 seconds, traffic would have sped up to 100kph. As it worked out, he only did 80kph in the 100kph section, so he ended up with a tailback behind him and the same cars he overtook overtaking him. Saw the Hilux at a building site across the road from Dunnes in Westside a few days later; was tempted to ask him where he bought his license.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Either that or they're going too fast!
    if it was a car overtaking you then yep, no problem I'm willing to concede that it 'might' be that they are going to fast. when someone gets overtaken by a hearse or articulated lorry you can bet with a fair degree of certainty it's the overtakee who's in the wrong.

if you can't drive on public roads without causing an obstruction to other road users (tractors and heavy machinery accepted (aside from during rush hour)) then you should be on the roads at all until you can.

that's one of the reasons there is a driving test. unfortunately someone saw fit to allow un-qualified drivers free access to the roads in ireland for some baffling reason. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Dyflin wrote: »
    This morning, on the M50 southbound just after the Sandyford off ramp. I saw an unmarked white van (transit or similar) pull out from the roadworks in what used to be the overtaking lane and drove off, he then put on his hazards, but continued to speed up to speed limit. He continued driving in the overtaking lane with the hazards on until he came up to a group of cars and trucks using both lanes. He moved from the over taking lane to the hard shoulder and undertook all the traffic in his way and eventually rejoined the overtaking lane and continued on past Cherrywood southbound, all the while the hazard lights blinking away. :mad:
    i was in a hurry

if you can't drive on public roads without causing an obstruction to other road users .... then you should [not] be on the roads
    That definition would remove a lot of cars from the streets of Dublin & leave them free for buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I would hazard a guess that OP is driving on the road from Claregalway into Galway city, extreemly low speed limit there on a relatively wide road with straight stretches. 80kph is more than slow enough on the road in question and at KBannon, there aren't any roadworks there but there have been a few accidents down through the years, lowering the speed limit wont achieve anything except irate drivers.

IMO it would have been a better idea to leave it at 100kph outside villages and enforce that and people overtaking where they shouldn't.

OP, feel free to doddle into work all you want but PLEASE be somewhat courtious to other road users and keep to the left hand side of the lane and if you see a mile long back log of traffic behind you, try to help out and move a little into the hard shoulder if its clear in front of you. I know there is no law that means you HAVE to do this, but i can promise you it would be appreciated by the other road users and your work mates :)

Bendihorse wrote: »
    try to help out and move a little into the hard shoulder if its clear in front of you. I know there is no law that means you HAVE to do this, but i can promise you it would be appreciated by the other road users and your work mates :)
    The hard shoulder is not part of the road. Your car must be driven on the right of the broken yellow line unless you're pulling over to stop or when rejoining the road. At any other time it's unlawful to drive in the manner proposed.

If you damage your car while facilitating impatient drivers in this way, for example by hitting a pot hole, you may find that the council will not accept liability.

Fey! wrote: »
    It could be the main Roscommon road coming through Turloughmore at 60kph and Lackagh at 50kph, then slowing to 60 and then 50 through Claregalway and going back to 100kph after the turn left up to Whiriskey Refridgeration on Homes' Hill.

Or maybe she's coming from Gort direction, slowing to 60kph then 50kph through Ardrahan, back down to 50kph in Kilcolgan, then back up to 100kph and the relatively straight no overtaking section as far as Clarinbridge, where you're back down to 50kph, the back to 100kph after the bad bends coming out of the village and 100kph all the way into town, but you can't really overtake safely until you hit the dual carraigeway at Oranmore.

Or maybe it's from Oughterard, where you're at 50kph through Moycullen, then a series of bad bends at 100kph, then a decent stretch of road with a good few junctions off it, then more bad turns, then 50kph from Glenlo Abbey through Bushypark into town.

Or, finally, from Spiddal, down to 50kph through Furbo, then back to either 80 or 100kph for a few miles, then back down to 50kph through Barna, then speed up for a couple of seconds and back to 50kph from Silver Strand into town, all on twisty roads that aren't easily passable.

And not a single "back road" in sight there, but plenty of idiots who won't wait for the end of the town limits to overtake over solid white lines or junction crosshatches because they have no patience.
    I don't think it's any of these roads Fey! from the discription the OP gives. Drivers overtaking on solid white lines and in towns are idiots for sure. :)
    Fey! wrote: »
    As for the pulling in to let them pass bit of the comment, a lot of these towns now have footpaths replacing the hard shoulder, so no, there isn't anywhere to pull in, and why should she if she's already at the limit?
    Well I was offering up a suggestion for the OP to avoid awkward work colleagues. They don't have to if they don't want to. ;)

The rest of your story - licences were bought in the eighties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

The hard shoulder is not part of the road. Your car must be driven on the right of the broken yellow line unless you're pulling over to stop or when rejoining the road. At any other time it's unlawful to drive in the manner proposed.

That is not true in practice

We've had Gardaí and all sorts confirming that you can use the hard shoulder on a single lane road to allow faster moving traffic to pass. You may only use it for a short period, and not across junctions or around bends where you cannot see obstacles in your path should you remain that.

Insurance companies have also confirmed that this is 100% legal and in accordance with their terms of policy.

Stop spouting that scaremongering nonsense on every thread where someone asks that a driver actually display an ounce of consideration for others.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement