Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rock Band - 23rd May

• 08-04-2008 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭

Posted over on the Guitar Hero forum, but I think its worth posting here.

Its out on the 360 (only!) on May 23rd. Other formats to follow later in the summer.

All downloadable tracks will be available immediately too, which is fantastic news.

More here: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=130870

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Just saw the great news this morning although no word on the price yet, although there is a press event on today so maybe we will know later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭the corpo

eurogamer posted the prices. complete version comes in around €240, which is shocking
    you will have to fork out for on an Instrument Edition at GBP 129.99 / EUR 169 - comprised of the drum kit, guitar and microphone - then buy the game separately for GBP 49.99 / EUR 69.99.

in the US the total kit comes to €107....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I just saw that, it is a scandalous price.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=130927

Over double the price of the US and you have to buy it as separates, really what are they thinking, especially with the exchange rate surely its cheap to manufacture. I wont' be buying at that price. Is it region free as I could get someone to purchase on an upcoming trip to the states.

Even on amazon.com at the moment its $148
    http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-Special-Xbox-360/dp/B000TT4GBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1207647800&sr=1-1

Which at todays exchange rate is €93.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If 240 is right, that is absolutely ridiculous!
    I would love to buy this game, but I would feel guilty paying that much for a single game, even with all the fancy periphirals.
    EDIT: and Xbox version isn't region free so it can't be imported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I read the first post n thought "AT LAST!!" then I saw the price... WTF??? I was expecting it to be around €140-160 n even at that it would be pushing it...

€240!! I could buy a new 360 n have €40 left over for that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Ha! The shameless rip off merchants. I'd like Rock Band, but not at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hi Europe!
    Here, have some late games, hope you brought enough lube.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

lol oops just posted this in the games forum, ah well, its ****ed up though, might just get it nicely region free on my ****ty ps3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

F*ck my life. :(

No, that's being too dramatic. Being entirely serious here though, I predict enormous consumer backlash and a swift price drop. Particularly when importing a ps3 version would be much cheaper. And would help incentivise buying a ps3 for those on the fence...

Am I being naive... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Not going near it at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

TBH i just wanted it for the Drums (Have both GH and SS) but 240?? not a chance
    And no doubt live will be suckin you in for more cash for song packs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Ill be importing it on the ps3 from yankee land soon.

You could literally buy the full game pack in america and buy the game here for less than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you look at the comments on Kotaku, Eurogamer, and even the Rock Band Forums (where the thread title is "April Fools was last week, how about you tell us the real price"), there is huge backlash against the price.

EA are going to have to act on it, or its going to leave a bad taste in everyones mouth.

(Note - Kotaku link needs to be edited manually - guess what word was used in the URL)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Can you get the instruments in a pack from the US? And then buy the game here? It would still be cheaper presumably?

faceman wrote: »
    Can you get the instruments in a pack from the US? And then buy the game here? It would still be cheaper presumably?
    yeah, providing it avoids customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

I've been playing this since last Friday, Bud Rising / MS Promo.

I'm not convinced it's all it should be.

The guitar is a bit fiddly by comparison to the GH ones.

The Drums will be hated by non drummers for being difficult and hated by drummers for being to easy (Trust me, this is the feedback so far).

The set list is mediocre by compariosn to GH2 & 3 (But then i suppose to different folks thats subjective).

There are certainly less songs on the disc. The Harmonix in house ones are pretty crap, and i loved the freezepop track on GH2!

Also and most dissapointing for me is that it's too easy. I can play some songs on expert in GH but all of them in this. It's just not as satisfying when you finally get a really good score.

Finally, €240 for the special edition! There's only one guitar in there btw! (And it's wired i'm pretty sure of.)

I think for that price only a fool will buy it.

I certainly won't anyway, and i really wanted to DL all the Boston songs!

Hitch a Ride FTW!!!

IMHO it's a pity :(

EDIT: Forgot to say the singing is pretty good. The RB mic we got was broked so we had to use a HS connected to a wireless, but i can't say whether it ads to the game or not as i'm a terrible singer!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nice review....
    (I still want it! :))

Not for €240 though.

taken from a kotaku post

Comparison of MSRPs for different electronics in Europe and US (converted to dollars):

Xbox 360 20GB: US $349.99 - EU $425 (€269,99) = +21.5%
    PS3 40GB: US$399.99 - EU $630 (€399) = +58%
    Standard PS3/360 game: US $69 - EU $109 (€69) = +58%
    Apple iPod Touch 16GB: US $399 - EU $582.9 (€369) = +46%
    Dell Inspiron (base model): US $499 - EU $709 (€449) = +42%
    Panasonic PT-AX200U projector: US $1999 - EU $2367.8 (€1499) = +18%

And so on... this is all list prices (MSRP) taken on random but it holds true for most electronic companies. If it's not 1 Euro per Dollar, it's usually less. However, for Rock band it goes:

US $169 - EU $377.5 (€239) = +123.4%

And just for kicks, the previous king of ripoffs:
    PS3 40GB: US $399.99 - Scandinavia $757.76 (SEK4495) = +90% "

80488-RockBand-EU_header1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

ShaneU wrote: »
    taken from a kotaku post

Comparison of MSRPs for different electronics in Europe and US (converted to dollars):

Xbox 360 20GB: US $349.99 - EU $425 (€269,99) = +21.5%
    PS3 40GB: US$399.99 - EU $630 (€399) = +58%
    Standard PS3/360 game: US $69 - EU $109 (€69) = +58%
    Apple iPod Touch 16GB: US $399 - EU $582.9 (€369) = +46%
    Dell Inspiron (base model): US $499 - EU $709 (€449) = +42%
    Panasonic PT-AX200U projector: US $1999 - EU $2367.8 (€1499) = +18%

And so on... this is all list prices (MSRP) taken on random but it holds true for most electronic companies. If it's not 1 Euro per Dollar, it's usually less. However, for Rock band it goes:

US $169 - EU $377.5 (€239) = +123.4%

And just for kicks, the previous king of ripoffs:
    PS3 40GB: US $399.99 - Scandinavia $757.76 (SEK4495) = +90% "

i dont think prices quoted in the US include vat so +20% sounds about right, but +120%!!!!! they are having a fu.cking laugh
    nice artistic representation though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I, for one, think the price is pretty reasonable. They're giving us so much and asking so little. After all, you can't take it with you. Why not give your hard-earned cash to a company that churns out the same games year after year? Why, it only costs nearly as much as the console you're playing it on!

Yep...who doesn't love EA? But really, if we don't buy it, they'll have to lower the price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That price is disgraceful.

My only query is whether RB will work with the GH3 controller? If so, that at least saves me the price of a guitar. I'll probably just pick up the game and leave the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I won't be picking up either the game or the peripherals. I stay away from EA at all costs these days, only game I'd fork out money for would be the Madden series and it's been a while since I've done even that.

I just don't get how they can justify a price like that. :mad:

I used to buy their games when younger but the games were just the same every year, so I switched from NBA Live to NBA 2K, FIFA to PES......just better games. However there's tonnes of little kids out there who have their parents pay for it. If I ever have kids, no EA games for them!!!!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

anyone know if it will be compatible with guitar hero 3 guitar or do you have to buy they're equipment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Shag it... i'm not made of money.

Selling my body for a failure..! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It should definitely be boycotted at this price. The game looks spectacularly fun, but if people pay for this it will just let the companies know they will get away with it.

Unfortunately, the internet uproar doesn't always spill over to reality, so lets just hope people reject it based on price alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

basquille wrote: »

Do play ship big electronic packages to Ireland? I'd imagine they wouldn't sell the instrument pack.
    Even at 195 euro its a disgrace. I would have thought 150-160 would be the maximum they would charge for it, which is still excessive. The play RRSP provide another confirmation of how much the high street stores will be charging :(

Wish the 360 version was region free...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Haha. Was looking forward to it, but not a chance are they getting that much out of me for it, after such a big delay as well. Piss off, EA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

GH controllers are compatible with the 360 version so I'll probably pick up the game anyway and then try to get a relativly decent price on the drums somewhere down the line. Shame the price is so bloated, been dying for this games release for the past 6+ months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

The pricing is just stupid, America has the game months we have to wait and then pay way over the odds.

Can anyone tell me if EA are going to do the same as they did with Army Of Two. is rock band going to have the (EU) stuck on it so we can't play with people outside europe.

Advertisement