Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - courses/experience?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Been lurking here for a while and very impressed by the forum, and the talent of the posters here. So I decided to post and ask for some advice.

To start off my own background is Computer Science, and an MSc in Music Technology. In job land I keep getting offered software dev roles, and I really want to get away from it. As a hobby I'm a photographer, and when I took a step back recently to try and find the best path out of s/w dev one of the things at the top of my list was to use my coding skills and (limited) graphics skills to do something more interesting, like this.

So I can code, and I can use all the regular apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc (no Flash yet). Trouble is I don't have a portfolio and right now I don't have the skills or the confidence to make one. So my question for you experts is what would you think the best way for me to make this change over - take a course? just start working away and building up my own experience? try (and i know this is unlikely) to get some work experience somewhere else?

I'm just not sure what the best approach would be. Any/all advice would be really welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

So you're leaning towards the web designing (Photoshop etc., HTML, CSS, JavaScript.. the look and feel) rather than web development (PHP, Rails, SQL, application building, coding) ?

I'd recommend that you just start working away and build up your skills and experience. Largely because you can, and I've always found that potential employers / clients are more interested in portfolio and experience than qualifications.

Design and build sites for friends, for hobbies, just for kicks.. whatever.

Personally I've always learned well by doing. Choose a hobby project that you know is slightly above your current skill and learn how to get it done. There's a wealth of tutorials and helpful / inspiring websites and articles online.

Advertisement