Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief 4?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:10am
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

After reading this, it is *possible* there will be a new Thief game. I can't think of any game at all I would more like to see.

TTLG forum discussion is here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ny0m!

Must get back to T3 myself at a later date.

tbh tho, it would be quite easy to re.use objects etc from DX3 for T4. Lets hope it is the bees knees.
    I wouldnt be adverse to them adopting some stuff Assassins Creed

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they need to go back to fps view point i thinks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

OH GOD please YES. Thief 3 was great; I think anyone who played it can atest to the infamous "Shalebridge Cradle" level (Though the rest of the game persisted with a creepy atmosphere)

OH and thief3 did have a FPS; it just also had an optional 3rd person view.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Wow, I didn't know it had a 3rd person view at all. Strange :confused: I should try and pay more attention.

Hopefully Thief 4 will go back to having a more open world like Thief 2 did with more routes to travel and more random houses to rob from.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

More intelligent guards would be good, although not too much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Taffer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I want my rope arrows back :(

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

SL_Thief3RPS.jpg

Maximilian wrote: »
    SL_Thief3RPS.jpg
    lol, brilliant.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Well the games press seem convinced its definitely T4 due to a facebook hint from one of the Developers. I think thats good enough for me - I'm a happy man!Short Article here on Thief & stealth games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Well the games press seem convinced its definitely T4 due to a facebook hint from one of the Developers. I think thats good enough for me - I'm a happy man!Short Article here on Thief & stealth games.

Good article; it sums up the importance of the Thief series very well. I don't think any other game comes close to Thief 2 for the purest stealth experience.

I'd be very worried, though, that the developers might make action/gore elements more prominent to suit a more mainstream audience. The real joy in Thief was getting in and out without anyone knowing you were even there. I think I only ever managed to 'ghost' a couple of levels in T2, but that's where the game play was at its best, imo.

I'd say I'm concerned but not worried. I think the developers will look closely at their audience and try and deliver the game they want. That seems a common sense thing to me.

There's all kinds of speculation going around at the moment about it, will it have Garrett in it, will it be set in the future with stealth bfg's. Who knows. I'm just glad they are making it and hoping they don't fcuk it up.

I dunno; you look at the trend of gaming, and I see an action-oriented Thief4 with quick time events & excessive "attitude". I mean look at Prince of Persia: Emo Within; it's quite possible for an otherwise sensible dev. house to take a winning brand & totally ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

More Thief 3 will do for me. I know some of the PC snobs got all antsy when the game came out on the Xbox with claims of it being 'dumbed down', but it's by far the best in the series and home to the single best level in any videogame with the Shalebridge Cradle.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno; you look at the trend of gaming, and I see an action-oriented Thief4 with quick time events & excessive "attitude". I mean look at Prince of Persia: Emo Within; it's quite possible for an otherwise sensible dev. house to take a winning brand & totally ruin it.

From what I understand, the remit of the developers in general is to revive dormant IP, not re-invent. I can't see them taking Thief and turning it into Prince of Persia or even Splinter Cell. I would be pretty confident they will look at past failures as regards T3 and try not to replicate them.

I wonder if this time around the open-ended GTA type of city environment will become a reality. That was apparently once the plan for T3. One big city you could wander around in, thieving, clubbing taffers & picking up missions, with a main plot/campaign also. Possibly ambitious for the time but not now, not even with the current consoles.
    More Thief 3 will do for me. I know some of the PC snobs got all antsy when the game came out on the Xbox with claims of it being 'dumbed down', but it's by far the best in the series and home to the single best level in any videogame with the Shalebridge Cradle.

The only thing about T3 that really irritated was how the levels were scaled down to fit the Xbox. I nevertheless loved it & The Cradle made up for all the games faults (best level ever made for ANY game IMO) but I think T2 remains the best in the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Well, I'd be a "PC Snob", as you put it, but I can't remember if I found the game play to be really dumbed down in TDS. I'd need to replay both TMA and TDS. There were some good mods out which made the game play closer to T2 anyway, iirc.

However, the smaller levels and the level loading issue was directly related to xbox limitations, so players who were familiar with T1 and T2 had a right to be annoyed. It changed the whole 'feel' of the game compared to the first two.

BTW, I don't particularly care about console/PC wars, in case anyone thinks this is a troll attack on console owners.

After reading this and this I'm getting genuinely worried that my favourite franchise of all time is going to be shat on to appease the drooling masses.
    "we wanted to bring in more of the modern audience of the console market."
    eh, fcuking uh-oh.
    "we wanted to make him a little bit more mainstream."
    oh for sh!t's sake.

action moves. Oh dear.

Probably best to avoid disappointment by actively expecting a cover based third person shooter with quick time events and regenerating health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Probably best to avoid disappointment by actively expecting a cover based third person shooter with quick time events and regenerating health.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/thief-4-bring-serious-stealth-gameplay-to-xbox-720-and-ps4
    Cantin acknowledged that with "Dishonored" it initially felt like a "Thief" game, but once you "jump in to the game, you realize it feels more like 'Deus Ex.' A lot of choice, more action orientated."

Cantin went on to say that while "Dishonored" felt like "Deus Ex," "[it] support’s stealth but [they do] not [reward] it."
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-05-thief-4-screenshots-leak-ahead-of-possible-reveal
    Thief director Nicolas Cantin noted that Dishonored was "more action-oriented" than Thief will be. "There are options for stealth, but they're not really rewarding it," he explained of his competitor. Oli Welsh may disagree with this assessment.
    As for changes that you might be worried about, I guess I should post this from the Eurogamer article:
    The game will be primarily played in first-person and will center around a mechanic called Focus. This operates like a "detective mode," highlighting walls you can climb, lights to extinguish and fingerprints that need scrutinising You can also trigger Focus to slow down time while pickpocketing.

As you accumulate Focus you'll gain "attack points" that can be used for emergency escapes. Using one attack point on an enemy's chest will allows you to shove them out of the way, while using more will allow for more debilitating maneuvers.

That last paragraph just makes it sound like a clone of Dishonoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Hopefully we can play it without this Focus thing, you know, like when games used to not hold your hand, and highlight everything with a massive glow, so we don't even have to search for stuff.

I really hope this Thief game is more like the originals, and less like Dishonored.

It makes no sense (to me), that Dishonored borrowed aspects from Thief and it was great, and now the Thief makers are talking like they are using Dishonored as inspiration for a Thief game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Consolising Thief? Not surprised but I hope they don't make it simplistic with all of these features, the originals are refreshing to play because it's up to you to use your brain constantly and adapt to any unforeseen circumstances if you screw up.

I'm back playing Thief 2 and it's so refreshing to play a game that doesn't hold your hand and bombard you with QTE, constant pop-up tips, or utterly simple and linear level designs.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Consolising Thief? Not surprised but I hope they don't make it simplistic with all of these features.

Black Jack, Bow with the usual assortment of arrows, will do me. I don't need any fancy focus, slow time, or climbing claws....the rope arrow used to do me just fine.

They are best flipping games ever (imho).

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Consolising Thief? Not surprised but I hope they don't make it simplistic with all of these features, the originals are refreshing to play because it's up to you to use your brain constantly and adapt to any unforeseen circumstances if you screw up.

I'm back playing Thief 2 and it's so refreshing to play a game that doesn't hold your hand and bombard you with QTE, constant pop-up tips, or utterly simple and linear level designs.

It's not simplifying it that bothers me really. It's actually the reverse, they may be over complicating it. If you think about it Thief is actually quite a simple game on the face of it. Any complexity occurs under the hood. The depth came from other, more subtler things like story, atmosphere.

Action moves and what not - that just reeks of trying to add in stupid extras because it has proven popular in other console games.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Well some comfort can be taken from the fact that its the same developer who did Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Nah, safest option is to expect the worst in this case.

Nah, safest option is to expect the worst in this case.

I will find it very difficult to not get excited over a new thief game.

I was excited for Deadly Shadows, and even though that turned out pretty bad for a Thief game, it was still a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The Eurogamer article posted above has been updated...
    Update: Thief director Nicolas Cantin has clarified his comments about Garrett's new look, stating that the character only looks "less gothic" and more "mainstream" than previous internal designs, not compared to earlier games.
    In case anyone was overly worried...

Personally I don't care what they call it, getting rid of Garrett having black finger nails is a good thing in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Every big studio is going to "sex up" reboots of old IP from now on. They just will not part with the kind of money to bank roll a big game without ensuring that it is appealing to the most number of people possible. Doesnt always end in disaster either though. If Thief 4 does turn out to be a variation of Dishonored it will be no bad thing. Better that than just using the famous name to sell a generic FPS, like with Syndicate. And don't think for a second something as nuts as that couldn't happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The acid test is if any of the trailers will contain f*cking dubstep.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't see the point of action moves. If you played the Thief games on anything less than hard mode without killing anyone you were doing it wrong.

Advertisement