Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief 4?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

This game is pretty fooking good. With all the mixed reviews i wasnt expecting to get so hooked on it.
    I see alot of complaints about the navigating the city, and while it can be a bit confusing at first, after spending awhile searching the city streets and rooftops for loot (and i think its easy to get caught up doing that due to the great atmosphere), the streets become more familiar and easier to navigate with time.. although a quick travel option between city hubs would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Got this today on ps4. Loving it so far. No sound issues or graphical ones. Glad I went for it and didn't listen to the negative reviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

CptMackey wrote: »
    Got this today on ps4. Loving it so far. No sound issues or graphical ones. Glad I went for it and didn't listen to the negative reviews

I changed my original "not many sound issues here" to the game being plagued with them now I'm further on in, at one point after I had switched on the subtitles because I couldn't understand a word being said I would have been unaware of any background dialogue but for the subtitles in the later parts of chapter 4 , not game breaking but does take away from the atmosphere somewhat :(

There was another part , where I was turning in the 1st client job to the carnival guy and he repeated his dialogue a few times and in places there were 2 of his lines being played at once over each other.

Anyone been able to make use of the smuggler maps :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Probably more a reflection of the amount of staffing up they needed to do to get the game actually out the door than anything else. Sucks for the guys laid off but if it's going to happen in a city then at least it's in some place like Montreal where the chances of getting a job without relocating would be pretty high. :(

Makes sense that the extra staff brought in to develop Thief 4 would be let go. Hardly expect a gaming company to keep people employed if there's nothing for them to do. It happens all the time in the industry and most others, how many FX houses hire on staff as a deadline approaches only to fire those people once the job is done? The answer is most.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Makes sense that the extra staff brought in to develop Thief 4 would be let go. Hardly expect a gaming company to keep people employed if there's nothing for them to do. It happens all the time in the industry and most others, how many FX houses hire on staff as a deadline approaches only to fire those people once the job is done? The answer is most.
    While VFX studios have their own list of problems, one of the issues on the other side of the Atlantic seems to be that people brought in for such work aren't always contractors which means they don't know if they'll be kept on when a project finishes and will be in an intense crunch situation with no compensation for such (inevitably) short term work.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Grassey wrote: »
    Also if you get stuck on chapter 3 with the podium dial not working correctly the solution is to exit game, drop resolution to 800x600 and quality to very low. Reload and then the runes should light up correctly allowing you to activate the switch and proceed. Save, exit and restore settings to max and enjoy. (it was doing my head in earlier and figure I won't be the only boardsie with the problem)

I tried doing this but still no joy :( If I have to listen to those brothel sounds any longer i might just top myself :pac: 3 of the 4 kinda light up, and cycling through the 4th to see if it'll work anyway doesn't do anything. I definitely have all the runes collected.

And I was having such fun being a sneaksy bastard too :pac:

I tried doing this but still no joy :( If I have to listen to those brothel sounds any longer i might just top myself :pac: 3 of the 4 kinda light up, and cycling through the 4th to see if it'll work anyway doesn't do anything. I definitely have all the runes collected.

And I was having such fun being a sneaksy bastard too :pac:

Just in case anyone else is still having the problems I had, I wrote down the symbols on a piece of paper, restarted from a save I had before I went in the passage, and manually aligned the symbols myself. I had to do this for all 3 podiums in the level because if they glowed it wouldn't accept them, even if I had the right ones in place.

I've now got a little way in to the asylum level though and I'm ****ting myself. It's setting itself up to be another Cradle-esque level.

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone else is still having the problems I had, I wrote down the symbols on a piece of paper, restarted from a save I had before I went in the passage, and manually aligned the symbols myself. I had to do this for all 3 podiums in the level because if they glowed it wouldn't accept them, even if I had the right ones in place.

I've now got a little way in to the asylum level though and I'm ****ting myself. It's setting itself up to be another Cradle-esque level.

Nearly jumped out of my seat twice in the ealry stages of the Asylum :eek:

calex71 wrote: »
    Nearly jumped out of my seat twice in the ealry stages of the Asylum :eek:

Looking in that peephole at the beginning? I jump-quit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Played about 2 hours of this last week, no issues. Now getting a problem where it wont stay in fullscreen. The game doesnt crash, but keeps dropping to the taskbar. When I untick fullscreen and exclusive fullscreen in the options, its fine running in windowed mode. But when I Alt-Enter, it flashes into fullscreen for 2 secs then back to desktop, all the while running! :confused:

Anyone come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Playing on PC and it constantly crashes.
    Driving me bananas as I am actually enjoying the game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Hmm. For Thief, I broke my rule about giving a game about 6 months before buying in order to let it get patched up. Probably should have stuck to it.

Anyone finish the story yet?
    Did we get any kind of explanation to where garrett was or what he did on his year long holiday
    If we did I must have missed it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Nearly s**t my pants on the Asylum level last night, I'm still not sure what is in that place except for the end but something did near kill me at the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I didn't really look at the reviews for this but when I started I played it on normal and got through the first 2 chapters and thought "well this is mediocre at best". It wasn't enjoyable because it wasn't challenging. So I reloaded and stuck it on the hardest difficulty and am currently on chapter 5 and having a blast with it to be honest.

Some of the little things get to me but sure they are not game breakers. eg; being able to take some ould wans earring off without even alerting her, or master acrobat Garrett not being able to jump over a tiny pressure plate.
    I also think the guard AI is atrocious, I mean in this day and age you think in stealth games the guards would be able to do something a little more productive in their alert phase "Let me just break the guards line of view of me with this pillar here and clam them down".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea, gonna need to up the difficulty alright

Ive not played since last week - alerted some guards, and was able to crouch in a corner indefinitely dodging all three of their simultaneous attacks.

Up the difficulty, and unmap the dodge key, methinks

Gandalph wrote: »
    I didn't really look at the reviews for this but when I started I played it on normal and got through the first 2 chapters and thought "well this is mediocre at best". It wasn't enjoyable because it wasn't challenging. So I reloaded and stuck it on the hardest difficulty and am currently on chapter 5 and having a blast with it to be honest.

I watched TotalBiscuits review before I started playing an he recommended starting on at least Master because the lower difficulties were barely worth playing. I'm glad I did - it's challenging without being game-breaking. I'll probably replay on a harder custom difficulty when I'm done too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

They really need to fix the sound. It's bloody annoying that a game based on stealth and using sound has totally crap sound reproduction. A guard can sound like he's right beside you when he is in fact on the floor above or below you.

AMD's true audio should help fix that but only if you have a card that supports it. The default audio should be way better than it is.

The game also runs like ass. With my overclocked 3570k and 7970 I was struggling to get much more than 40 fps in the benchmark with ssaa on low and everything else up high.

It's the unreal 3 engine, that's 10 years old, how can it run badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

+100

Was creeping over an archway, and there was a couple having a chat underneath, and it sounded like they were talking directly into my face - no matter which way I turned

Gandalph wrote: »
    Nearly s**t my pants on the Asylum level last night, I'm still not sure what is in that place except for the end but something did near kill me at the start!

At the beginning in the men's ward? That'd be the Night Warden :P There's documents about him littered around the place. He's really really loud and clanky, and if you look for it you can see him as wispy air moving around :pac: Afaik he doesn't "activate" until after you get the key though

Can anyone with a fancy sound card tell me if the sound card helps improve the awful 3d sound in the game?

Dunno, but I'm having problems with the AIs around the city having 2 person conversations by themselves :pac: Like, every single guard I pass in the docks area has that convo about Polly Adler constantly, even if they're patrolling by themselves. It's really annoying

It's a bit sloppy. Hopefully the next one is on the Unreal 4 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

MS doing a half price offer on this for this weekend on XBox One.

Was planning originally on picking it up for PC in a Steam sale at some point in the future, but 50% off is a pretty good deal.

Although I understand the XBone is the most technically inferior of the "next gen" releases so not sure if its worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

This works out at €22 on US psn store until thursday if you have a US account

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Have both this and Dishonoured. Plan on staring one of them this week. Is either significantly better than the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Kiith wrote: »
    Have both this and Dishonoured. Plan on staring one of them this week. Is either significantly better than the other?

I played Dishonoured just before Thief - wish I hadn't.
    Suggest you play Thief first and then prepare yourself for a blast - unfortunately I enjoyed Dishonoured so much I raced my way through it in a few days - just a blast.

Advertisement