Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief 4?

Options

Comments

I was look forward to this, it seemed like my type of game but judging by the reviews I think I might leave it off, at least until I can pick it up cheap.

You can get it for between €15-20 online which isn't bad for a new title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

You can get it for between €15-20 online which isn't bad for a new title.

Where?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Where?

Take your pick

http://www.dlcompare.com/games/buy-thief-668
    So your process usually runs like so: illegally download the game, form an opinion, decide to buy it, make purchase?

I explained how i normally decide when im unsure,plus provided a link to where you get games very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

It would be the PS4 version I'd be after and I doubt I'd get that anywhere for less than €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm really on the fence for this one, have had it in my Amazon basket for weeks.
    It was 42 GBP earlier for XB1 and am still tempted but still unsure.
    I really enjoyed Dishonoured but not being able to backtrack sounds bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Right, I've played through the first three levels and I'd have to say the game is grand. It's a very good looking game and it plays pretty well. So far there's not too much to dislike about it. There's been a few audio bugs where a patrolling guard would play two dialogues over himself, but other than that it's stable.

The controls can be a little annoying. It's clearly designed with console controllers in mind, which is quite noticeable in how things like picking locks or searching for hidden buttons are very awkward with a mouse. But it's not too bad. Actually, it kind of adds to the desperation when you're trying to quickly pick a lock in a guards patrol path.

The biggest problem is that it's not a Thief game. It has many of the elements, but a lot of others miss the mark and the game just feels slightly off. It plays almost like a Dishonoured total conversion mod, if that makes any sense. Almost like the developers were trying to shoehorn a Thief game into an engine of another game. I think that it's the fact that it wants to be a Thief game that makes it less of one, because on it's own merits it's a pretty good game (so far).

I'd recommend holding off until you can get this for cheap. I don't think anyone who gets it will be incredibly disappointed in the game itself, but it's that most people will be getting it to relive the Thief 1/2/3 glory days that will cause disappointment.

As I said, I've only played the first three levels (which took about 3 hours), so this opinion might change drastically if the game suddenly nosedives.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Picked it up a cheap key a few days ago for a little over €20, had long given up hope of a great Thief game, but for that price I'd settle for something it the range of fairly decent (AKA Hitman) to pretty good like Dishonored, so humanji 's post above gives me hope that its won't be a complete waste of time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Had this preordered (due to trading in a bunch of old stuff) but might cancel it and switch my money to South Park. It probably is an alright game, but as suggested, I'll probably wait until it comes down in price (or hopefully becomes one of the first big PS+ games for the PS4)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Nervous enough about the reviews, but I am still looking forward to playing it. I reckon I will enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

[QUOTE=humanji
    ]The biggest problem is that it's not a Thief game. [/QUOTE]

That was my biggest worry, the more I saw of this game over the last few month, that and missing Stephen Russell, and instead having some bland generic mo-cap actor.

It's fairly obvious Eidos/Square Enix won't be getting a cent from me.

I'll be too busy playing Thief Gold with all the HD stuff applied.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    That was my biggest worry, the more I saw of this game over the last few month, that and missing Stephen Russell, and instead having some bland generic mo-cap actor.

It's fairly obvious Eidos/Square Enix won't be getting a cent from me.

I'll be too busy playing Thief Gold with all the HD stuff applied.

People said the same about Deadly Shadows also, but I have to put my hands up and say that I enjoyed it as a thief fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

People said the same about Deadly Shadows also, but I have to put my hands up and say that I enjoyed it as a thief fan!
    I didn't play the first two, but am more inclined to go back and play those than this new one any time soon. But Deadly Shadows had the same VA as the first two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's been a while, I can't remember, but didn't Thief 3 also still have that wonderful pair of clueless guards? You know the two, they started off with "OI'M GOAN' TO THE BURR PITS TOMORROW" and from there patrolled their way straight into our collective hearts...

Agreed, I was disappointed with Deadly Shadows, but what saved it was it was still felt like a Thief game, a consilized version, but it was still Garret (Stephen Russell) up to his old tricks, it went off the rails before the end, but it had some great levels, best of which was The Cradle, which is up there with any of the best levels from I and II.

It was made by Ion Storm, so it had some of the original talent behind I and II involved and it showed through.
    Sarky wrote: »
    It's been a while, I can't remember, but didn't Thief 3 also still have that wonderful pair of clueless guards? You know the two, they started off with "OI'M GOAN' TO THE BURR PITS TOMORROW" and from there patrolled their way straight into our collective hearts...

Those are the guards out side Lord Baffords Manor in Thief 1. Think we heard Taffer in that convesation too somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ah, those were the days. Las' toime Oi heard thurr wuz a real eye-gougin', hurrrrrrrrrr.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This bit in Thief 2 had me wetting myself:

The guards in the old games were fantastic, they were so thick. I was listening to a podcast with all the old looking glass guys (http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/audio/looking_glass_studios_podcast/) and apparently they made them so thick becasue the enemy AI had to be stupid for the game to be fun. It's that level of writing that mixed with the gameplay that made Looking Glass so special. I miss them :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm actually fairly positive that one of the guys who voiced the guards in the original games is doing some of the voices in the new one, but not the guards (oddly enough). If you watch the video that has a play through the second mission (where he goes into the jewelers), there's a guy in the basement talking to himself that sounds really like the old guards.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    ....Looking Glass so special. I miss them :'(

You're not the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

they just made it so immersive, with the slang (you taffer!), and the general style of speaking. Guys humming to themselves, or talking to themselves when they thought they saw something etc too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Wossack wrote: »
    they just made it so immersive, with the slang (you taffer!), and the general style of speaking. Guys humming to themselves, or talking to themselves when they thought they saw something etc too

It made the City more real. Like it was a living breathing city and there was more going on that your story. Some of the stuff seeing during "Life of the Party" in Thief 2 added to it too.

Thief 3 never really did that for me. Yet to play Thief 4 but will probably wait till it comes down in price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lots of information about it in that podcast. They really spent a lot of time getting the writing and language of the game down. They have a big long discussion about the origins of Taffer :)

Playing Thief I last night, the whistling and the humming from the Hammerites in Cragscleft prison was driving the missus mad.

Some of the ramblings/prayers from the Hammers was great:
    And The Builder said, 'If the foundation is weak, do you wail and gnash your teeth? Do you ask it to repour itself? Nay, you tear it down and begin anew. So shall it be with all My Children, whether they be Stone or Flesh.

The Mechanists weren't as good craic as the Hammers, the hammers were just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

One of the reviews for the new game mentioned the immersion breaking Texan accents of the guards. How expensive would it be to ship in some suitable voice actors for a game like this, or just do the recordings in the uk?!

.... or get Americans who can do accents!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Sorry to go slightly off topic, I might dig out Deadly Shadows before I pick up the new title. Never dif really get around to playing it. How does Thief:DS hold up, has it aged well????

Glebee wrote: »
    Sorry to go slightly off topic, I might dig out Deadly Shadows before I pick up the new title. Never dif really get around to playing it. How does Thief:DS hold up, has it aged well????

Graphically it's pretty naff looking now but the graphics are more than enough to get across the atmosphere and sense of place.

As for how it plays you really need to give it a few hours to get into it. Took me most of the first level for the game to click (levels in this game can 2-3 hours especially if you are playing stealthily on hard which allows no kills). Once it does though it's fantastic.

One annoying thing though is some objectives are too well hidden, mostly just some of the ones for hard mode, but you might need a faq to find some of the harder ones.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As for how it plays you really need to give it a few hours to get into it. Took me most of the first level for the game to click (levels in this game can 2-3 hours especially if you are playing stealthily on hard which allows no kills). Once it does though it's fantastic.

Giving the Pagans an increased role was great in Deadly Shadows, you could listen to them all day as you snuck around.

"Be's you there?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Shalebridge Cradle.... NOPE!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Glebee wrote: »
    There's a texture mod available for it too which helps it a wee bit if memory serves me correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

6's and 7's for reviews. I remember that used to mean it was a great game. Now we are stuck in a world where people get butt hurt over they're little game not getting the standard 8.

I bought this game months ago and im still happy with that purchase.

That's more a reflection of what those 6s and 7s actually signify in gaming media than anything else. You might see a good film getting a 3 star rating but that almost never happens with games. Also I don't see how you can be 'happy' with your purpose until you've actually sat down and played it (I'm assuming you're doing that now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Cravez wrote: »
    Shalebridge Cradle.... NOPE!

One of the scariest levels i've ever played

Advertisement