Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief 4?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Was tempted to go back and play the originals before playing the new one, but thought I better not.
    Would rather treat it as a new game with some thieving and sneaking etc, rather than compare it to the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Was tempted to go back and play the originals before playing the new one, but thought I better not.

Are they worth getting on Steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have a go of The Dark Mod which is a free standalone conversion of the original Thief games made in the Doom 3 engine
    You download the base game and then you download individual missions which there are loads of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I'm a few hours in. It's not that bad. Bit too fluid and easy with swoop, and the lack of jump annoys me. But aside from that it's enjoyable and playable.

I did laugh when a guard gave out that someone called him a taffer. Second guard asked what was that? First guard replied with 'I don't know'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Also if you get stuck on chapter 3 with the podium dial not working correctly the solution is to exit game, drop resolution to 800x600 and quality to very low. Reload and then the runes should light up correctly allowing you to activate the switch and proceed. Save, exit and restore settings to max and enjoy. (it was doing my head in earlier and figure I won't be the only boardsie with the problem)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The swoop thing is really the only thing annoying me at the moment, and it can't be turned off, going for a pure stealth run no kills, ko , alarms and on master ...... destined to fail :pac:

The girl Erin sounds like Elizabeth from bioshock, not the same lady but I did have to look it up to check if it was or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Man this game is tonnes of fun. Stayed in last night and sat up till 6am playing then back up at 11 for more.

Started playing the new Thief game last night on PS3 and while I think the graphics and gameplay are good, the sound is awful; the game seems to be riddled with audio glitches. During the opening section of the game the audio is very choppy and continuously drops out.

After playing through the first few minutes of the game the audio seems to improve but issues still surface such as;

other characters will be speaking and the audio will cut out mid sentence
    no audio in some cutscenes

I have had to turn on subtitles just so I don't miss anything important. After browsing the Square Enix forums earlier it seems other people report the same issues. I do not know how these audio problems made it past testing and it amazes me that a lot of reviews have given this game an 8 out of 10.

Really enjoying this now, glad I didn't let the nay sayers put me off :)

It's not game of the year or anything but still as enjoyable as many others in its class, and looks very nice too.

I have not noticed the audio issues to the extent you did winterfell, they only thing I really noticed was Ecter was very hard to hear like I was facing away from him while he was speaking or something, he was clearer if i turned my back to him, so something is messed up there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I thought it looked absolutely awful (PS4) tbh

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    I thought it looked absolutely awful (PS4) tbh

Really? Has to be on a par if not better than the One version surely ? Ok it's dark and has a limited color pallet as in the box / cover sums up its colors perfectly :pac: but i was not expecting it to look as good given it's a dual platform / generation release.

I've not seen any screen tearing or anything in that regard and I've had to leg it from 3 or 4 guards a few times and not noticed any slow down or frame rate issues or anything like that.

This asylum is scaring the crap out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

calex71 wrote: »
    Really? Has to be on a par if not better than the One version surely ? Ok it's dark and has a limited color pallet as in the box / cover sums up its colors perfectly :pac: but i was not expecting it to look as good given it's a dual platform / generation release.

I've not seen any screen tearing or anything in that regard and I've had to leg it from 3 or 4 guards a few times and not noticed any slow down or frame rate issues or anything like that.

Frame rate struggles a LOT, character models are awful and the lip syncing is non existant.

Fun game though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Audio issues are definitely popping up for me. Even in the cutscenes. Background and ambient sound is completely dropping out even when the camera angle changes. Mind you, I'm playing on PC with a G930.
    Fire crackling/water running and people talking in the background all disappears when the camera angle changes and then magically reapppears a few camera angle changes later. Kind of takes you out of it all but it's still REALLY enjoyable.
    I dont think I would enjoy it as much if I didn't have a quick save/load option on PC.
    I really like the fact that it recognises you using the environment to your advantage (turning off torches with water arrows or distracting guards with noises etc) and therefore assigns an opportunist playstyle.

How do you kill those creatures in the asylum?

[edit]Scratch that, I got fire arrows.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Oddest moment so far is finding someone singing Seven Drunken Nights. Amusing, but a bit atmosphere breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Delivers by postie this morn.
    6 GB update for XB1 before I get to have a look at it.

/madness

Delivers by postie this morn.
    6 GB update for XB1 before I get to have a look at it.

/madness

I downloaded it and it was only 5.5g so the disk has .5gb :confused:

Also every review for this game is bullshít. Its not perfect no, but its a hell of a lot better than those corridor shooters that come out every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Also every review for this game is bullshít. Its not perfect no, but its a hell of a lot better than those corridor shooters that come out every year.

Definitely. A few people have said that the problem many reviewers may have had with Thief is that they are playing it on normal and/or with many of the HUD assists on, and/or blasting through it Dishonored style playing as an assassin. I watched a Let's Play recently where the guy was playing it on Master with no aids (and also not allowed to knockout civilians) and it does make for a really tense experience which approximates the old games fairly well. That seems to be the key to getting the most out of it, playing it as a THIEF where you really cannot resort to combat unless its absolutely necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Still debating whether to buy this.....

May wait to read a few more posts on here first ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone do the happy medium client job?
    Dropping the prostitute into the river to keep the drunkard moving
    :D

calex71 wrote: »
    Anyone do the happy medium client job?
    Dropping the prostitute into the river to keep the drunkard moving
    :D

Gave me a pain in me bollox at first but it was a class level.

Ok, has anyone done the Vittori stuff? (3/4) ima spoiler the rest
    So I rescued the bearded woman and came back for my reward but he says hes all out of jobs unless i want to help him with the "Velvet Knight/night" but it dont give me a job in my journal anyone figured it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Still debating whether to buy this.....

May wait to read a few more posts on here first ;)

Yeah tempted to get it aswell, the review weren't great but people on here seem to be enjoying it so it can't be as bad a the reviews made it out to be.

Yeah tempted to get it aswell, the review weren't great but people on here seem to be enjoying it so it can't be as bad a the reviews made it out to be.

It's not, a lot of it is sour grapes from die hard Thief fans not getting the game they wanted, and rightly so, I can see where they are coming from but so far I'm having fun with it, not a game of the year or anything but certainly worth my time. It has flaws sure but not enough to make it a bad or awful game, not by a long stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm enjoying it far more than the review would have led me to believe. It is not game of the year contender but is entertaining and I'm enjoying playing. I'd probably rate it about 8/10. Play it on it's own merits and not harking back to it's predecessors.

Im trying to ghost through these levels... you need the patience of a saint.

Im trying to ghost through these levels... you need the patience of a saint.

Same here, the amount of times I've done something ridiculous to get around a room or guard only to spot something simple from the far side that could have got me around, or to round a corner and get busted by a dog , or mess up a lock pick and set off a canary, there should be an action where Garrett can reach into the cage and deal with those, and a poison chop for the hounds ..... fire arrows dont work :D

Chapter 3 my favourite so far.......
    peep holes
    :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Some rambling thoughts, a few chapters in....

It gets something pretty right, but gets some parts very wrong.

The basic stuff of ransacking drawers and grabbing goodies works well, and for me it gives a good impression of looting out someones valuables.

The atmosphere seems decent, lots of converstaions, newspapers, darkness, steam, pipes, rickety dwellings etc.

Graphically, it's okay, nothing terrible, nothing amazing, it's just the UE3 engine, which hasn't cut it for some time.

The division of the open city is deeply irritating. It's cut into small parcels, which simply isn't justifiable on either PC or next gen consoles. Batman:AO is UE3 based and it manages it just fine. On top of that is a poor map which just confuses farther, and an annoying mechanic of insisting on using apartments with two entrances to move from one section to another. There seems to be a good density of things hidden about the city at least.

The specific levels seem fairly linear, with only a little room for variation/exploration. What I'd prefer to see is the far more open and sandbox maps, such as large mansion or similar.

The AI seems okay, while they do react to events, and spot me easily enough, they also give up far too easily once they lose sight.

Despite the weak design elements, I'm still enjoying it overall, but most should wait until the inevitable price drop or sales.

Dont listen to Spear buy it now and then they will make more games like this. Company heads no longer care after three weeks or so on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I downloaded it and it was only 5.5g so the disk has .5gb :confused:

it was about a 20gb dl on pc for me

Advertisement