Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best do all rifle cartridge.

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Now that more commercial firearms manufactures are bringing out off
    the shelf rifles in 6.5x284 Norma would this cartridge make it as possibly the best all rounder ever! Norma ammo can be bought up north
    or imported from the Uk when no stocks of this brand are available here.

If I could reload this cartridge ( comes with 140g 120g heads )
    I would consider it strongly as a one rifle solution as it does it all extremely well unless its large African Game your after!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Gunter Mauser

logotop.gif

6,5-284

65-284.jpg 120 grains

( 7.8 gram)noslerbst.gifNosler BST

B.C = 0.43
    # 20165642
    Velocity fps

0100200300Energy foot pounds

140 grains

( 9.1 gram)partition.gifNosler Partition

B.C = 0.465
    # 20165652
    Velocity fps

0100200300Energy foot pounds

adress.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

For what target deer fox general target general er wildlife

I dont shoot centre fire but read alot of firearms for what its worth for shooting moving things in this country .243 25-06 6.5x55 .270 spring to mind anything around 6mm mark i think.

Best all out general i would say good ole .22lr

If you could reload what would be your cartridge of choice.
    would the ability to reload make you reconsider what rifle or rifles you
    currently use. The 6.5x55 another example of cartridge that could get a new lease of life if you could reload as in using lighter vermin bullets not available in commercial loadings.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

currently use. The 6.5x55 another example of cartridge that could get a new lease of life if you could reload as in using lighter vermin bullets not available in commercial loadings.:)[/QUOT

If I could reload for my .243 heavy barrelled Ruger Mark2/77, my choice would be 100grn Lapua for deer stalking and 85grn Sierra Match for Target shooting. Note the 85grn Sierra Match bullet is not available in commercial factory ammunition.

If I wanted to shoot the 115 would I have to change the Barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Sikamick wrote: »
    currently use. The 6.5x55 another example of cartridge that could get a new lease of life if you could reload as in using lighter vermin bullets not available in commercial loadings.:)[/QUOT

If I could reload for my .243 heavy barrelled Ruger Mark2/77, my choice would be 100grn Lapua for deer stalking and 85grn Sierra Match for Target shooting. Note the 85grn Sierra Match bullet is not available in commercial factory ammunition.

If I wanted to shoot the 115 would I have to change the Barrel.
    the 1:10 twist is too slow you would need a 1:8;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Best all rounder is definitely the .22LR. Choose from subsonic, high velocity, BB Caps, Shorts etc. Ammo is cheap. A top class .22 rifle can be bought for about 1500 euro, a good rifle from about 350 euro up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

currently use. The 6.5x55 another example of cartridge that could get a new lease of life if you could reload as in using lighter vermin bullets not available in commercial loadings.:)
    I agree, overall I think the 6.5x55 would get a new lease of life, I think that it is the best all rounder.

I use the Lapua Naturalis 140g, in my Sauer, super round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

milkerman wrote: »
    Best all rounder is definitely the .22LR. Choose from subsonic, high velocity, BB Caps, Shorts etc. Ammo is cheap. A top class .22 rifle can be bought for about 1500 euro, a good rifle from about 350 euro up.

Hey milkerman, any idea where to buy the likes of bb caps? I'd pick up a box, moreso out of curiosity than anything else. Also does anyone know where to get cheap subsonics. I much prefer them for plinking, but they are so expensive compared to value packs of regular high velocity.

Also sorry to hi-jack thread. I don't shoot centerfire either, would have considered .30-06 most versative fullbore. Factory loads of 55gr up to 220gr!

6mm BR,Hard to beat 300m cartridge except for the cost. Europe / States, if its commercial off the shelf ammo for clubs who buy it in bulk fine , here it would bankrupt the bank if you bought @ couple of boxes at a time.

dimebag249 wrote: »
    Hey milkerman, any idea where to buy the likes of bb caps? I'd pick up a box, moreso out of curiosity than anything else. Also does anyone know where to get cheap subsonics. I much prefer them for plinking, but they are so expensive compared to value packs of regular high velocity.

Also sorry to hi-jack thread. I don't shoot centerfire either, would have considered .30-06 most versative fullbore. Factory loads of 55gr up to 220gr!

i thought the 30 -06 had bullet weights in the 100 grain-250 grain band:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

i thought the 30 -06 had bullet weights in the 100 grain-250 grain band:confused:

Apparently you can get a 55 grain round in a sabot.

Thanks thats a new one on me;)

Same, had to look it up when the post raised my own eyebrow earlier. :p Apparently it's true though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Thanks thats a new one on me;)
    Same, had to look it up when the post raised my own eyebrow earlier. :p Apparently it's true though.

Sabot ammunition gets a specific mention as 'Restricted' on the FCP briefing document though, so it could be tricky getting hold of it here.

Aye, remembered that. Still, moderately interesting concept.

Aye, remembered that. Still, moderately interesting concept.

just after checking it out and it really makes the 30-06 into a good varminter-so its definitley in the running as a good all rounder, cept of course for the other thing:(

Well, a Christmas bottle of tasty whiskey should see your dealer all too happy to order in the ammo for you if you want it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

just after checking it out and it really makes the 30-06 into a good varminter-so its definitley in the running as a good all rounder, cept of course for the other thing
    The sabot round is only 'Restricted' though, not banned.
    Assuming reloading comes to pass (:rolleyes:), vermin control with an existing fullbore deer rifle looks like 'good reason' to me.

How about 6.5x57 another chip off the auld block. Where are all the pistol
    shooters gone! no interest! 32 S&W anybody.

How about 6.5x57 another chip off the auld block. Where are all the pistol
    shooters gone! no interest! 32 S&W anybody.

what about a colt new service in 455 eley?

• Advertisement

What about the Adams Revolver.Ammo for it must be hard to come by
    It got mentioned recently or not so long ago. Reloading would get this
    classic down off the shelf. Wrong thread but what the heck.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

just after checking it out and it really makes the 30-06 into a good varminter-so its definitley in the running as a good all rounder, cept of course for the other thing:(

Would one twist rate really cover 55 to 250 grains?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Got an old 8mm pinfire revolver.Would like to get that to speak once again too.Where would you even look for pinfire cases?:confused::eek:
    Sabot ammo.
    Are you lads getting this mixed up with " Accelerator" ammo?? All that is is a plastic insert that holds a smaller bullet on a bigger powder charge.They can be bought as reloading supplies.But dont seem to have caught on that well.
    A sabot is two plastic hulls around a smaller projectile,that splits off once it leaves the muzzle.Only one I have ever seen that on is a French shotgun slug.Dunno if it is even made anymore.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

In a pinfire haystack... bum bum.:)

Very Droll Gunther.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Just trolling Grizzly just trolling.:rolleyes:

Vegeta wrote: »
    Would one twist rate really cover 55 to 250 grains?

yes its okay in this case as theres a sabot used to fire the bullet which is actually a 55 grain 224 calibre bullet, so that would work in an 8 twist allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Got an old 8mm pinfire revolver.Would like to get that to speak once again too.Where would you even look for pinfire cases?:confused::eek:
    Sabot ammo.
    Are you lads getting this mixed up with " Accelerator" ammo?? All that is is a plastic insert that holds a smaller bullet on a bigger powder charge.They can be bought as reloading supplies.But dont seem to have caught on that well.
    A sabot is two plastic hulls around a smaller projectile,that splits off once it leaves the muzzle.Only one I have ever seen that on is a French shotgun slug.Dunno if it is even made anymore.

What you call "Accelerator" ammo the US army call SLAP, sabot light armor piercing. Its a plastic insert with a smaller projectile in it

They have it for 7.62 and .50BMG

The other intresting factor as to why the Accelerator and Sabot ammo is possibly on the restricted list is;the rifling markings are left on the plastic sabot and not on the bullet. Didnt know that one myself.:eek:.
    All in all I thought also that the sabot was a free component now as well...nope .it is a Remington product liscensed and patend to Remmy..
    OTOH it might be higher velocity,but it isnt supposedly very accurate either.

• Advertisement

Yeah, wouldn't have thought the accuracy would stand up myself.

Advertisement