Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Broadband Needed.

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hello,

I'm looking to replace my current broadband provider (Eircom) as I feel it's slow and I am constrained with it's download limits.

Can anyone offer a cost-effective alternative for someone living in Galway?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Smart Telecom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Pat_Mustard

It's not actually available in my area.

Sucks to be a culchie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

O2 mobile broadband. Check with your local O2 shop to see if you're in coverage. 7.2mbps for 30 euro a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Im not sure where you are , but whatever bad rep eircom have the fact is that they are probably one of the most problem free providers out there , anyone else you get is going to be reliant on them for the line anyway so I dont see how it will improve performance by switching.

As for mobile broadband , it looks good on paper , but when it comes down to it , none of them are as good as a fixed line connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Fixed line is preferable for obvious reasons but for people who don't live near enabled exchanges mobile is the only option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All Mobile Internet has lower cap than fixed line.

Typical 3G/HSDPA speeds are lower than ENTRY DSL speed.

Latency (Ping) of 3G/HSDPA is typically 4 to 5 times worse than DSL.

Switching DSL provider to another DSL provider will only make some differences to price, not service as unless you get LLU, it is the eircom service.

Fixed Wireless is a possible alternative, but only a cost saving if you ditch the eircom line entirely. Not all Fixed Wireless are better than DSL. But some are.

What sort of speeds do you get and on what eircom package?

Advertisement