Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option for work placement Hospitals or Eircom?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi guys

Coming to the end of my course where I have got my A+ cert and will be sitting my Network+ in a couple of weeks, as its a FAS course, there will be a 12 week work placement, now the course lead has told us of the places to go on offer and two that stand out are Eircom or hospitals so just wondering where is the best place to go for that will maximise my experiences and potentially get a longer contract out of them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Totally depends what they put you doing. I work in a hospital. We had a student a few years ago for around 12 weeks and we needed to asset tag everything so guess who got the job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Once you go into a hospital it might give you the option to go back into the public sector later. I would prefer to work in the public sector myself if I didnt have a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Johnny Ringo

thegoth wrote: »
    Totally depends what they put you doing. I work in a hospital. We had a student a few years ago for around 12 weeks and we needed to asset tag everything so guess who got the job ?

Well if they try that I would get back onto FAS for re-assignment as I"m there to learn as part of the placement and there is a checklist that both student and the IT manager needs to sign off on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Well if they try that I would get back onto FAS for re-assignment as I"m there to learn as part of the placement and there is a checklist that both student and the IT manager needs to sign off on.

Think they will say your their to get experience. Not exactly to learn specifically. They cant really spend that much time teaching you all that much if your only around for 12 weeks. As they could waste a lot of their current employees time on you and then you just walk out the door at the time your knowledge would be paying them back.

If this is your first IT job you are really just looking for a company that will take you on after your finished your cert thing. Eircom would prob just put you on first level tech support over the phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

eircom are making big staff-cuts over the next few years, particularly in non-customer facing roles so they would probably not be a safe bet from the point of view of getting a job at the end of your training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Johnny Ringo

cronos wrote: »
    Think they will say your their to get experience. Not exactly to learn specifically. They cant really spend that much time teaching you all that much if your only around for 12 weeks. As they could waste a lot of their current employees time on you and then you just walk out the door at the time your knowledge would be paying them back.

Well I understand that they can't spend that much time with me but I'm pretty proficant around PC's & networks, so don't plan to be that much of a burden on the guys that take me on. Its a pretty tough decision trying to decide who to go with there are other areas that we have the option of getting the work experience including charities like Concern, I think the department of justice, having worked in the private sector for most of my working life I think I would like to try the public sector at least for the work experience and hopefully it will lead to at least a short term contract if I prove myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭TechieEddy

Work placements are all about getting experience. My advice would be to go for the smaller companies. The tasks you will be doing should be a lot more varied and you will get to learn about more technologies.

Advertisement