Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Date "emergency-exit"

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Hallo,

Does anyone have “emergency exit” when on dates? Example getting your mates to ring you and pretend to be your mam J
    I know it’s silly and juvenile but I have been on a date and he was so boring I texted myself an emergency and I ran… Do men do the same?

If you have done this in the past; share……

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Would usually sit it out as a lesson to myself to be more selective next time round.

I have never actually been on a date, I'm working on it though!

I find people interesting, so I don't think I would be inclined to skip out.
    I think I'd try and squash them into the friendzone if I wasn't attracted to them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i would just say "i am sorry but i dont think this is working"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I remember one in particular I was finding incredibly boring and he was just fugly! I just told him I had to go meet some friends, I think he accidentally txt me saying something along the lines of "well I think that went well!" ... to which I replied "ha! think again!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I know it’s silly and juvenile but I have been on a date and he was so boring I texted myself an emergency and I ran…

Why not just say 'I have to go. I'm not really interested, but thank you.'

Why make up a lie when the truth would be so much better, (and they'd probably appreciate the honesty).

No I've never done it, but I'm normally pretty straight with people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

I was out with a girl once, she just had nothing to say, no interests or anything. basically she wasnt my cuppa.
    Basically told her i was wrecked and had to get up early ( i actually did have to get up early), then i rang the lads and met up with them in town.
    only time i ever left a date like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

fits wrote: »
    Why not just say 'I have to go. I'm not really interested, but thank you.'

Why make up a lie when the truth would be so much better, (and they'd probably appreciate the honesty).

No I've never done it, but I'm normally pretty straight with people.

I see your point, but I think the idea behind the fib / sugar-coat is to avoid hurting anyones feelings. Its a difficult one to call, some do prefer the honesty and others would be seriously dented by it.

I think I'd probably make an excuse to leave. Not something outrageous, something plausible. I dont really see the point in saying you are not my type, or you are boring the pants off me etc. they couldnt help but take offence, and get pretty down about it.

So, another vote for the softly softly approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Abigayle wrote: »
    So, another vote for the softly softly approach.

Oh I agree with softly softly, but not with making up a lie and then ignoring them when they're trying to figure out whats going on.

Being straight doesnt mean you have to be cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

Ashamed to admit it :rolleyes:, but on more than one occasion, I pretended I needed the ladies and did a runner out the nearest exit!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

smiler26 wrote: »
    Ashamed to admit it :rolleyes:, but on more than one occasion, I pretended I needed the ladies and did a runner out the nearest exit!
    You evil woman!!
    I did it to a girl but its ok cos i'm a man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

irishbird wrote: »
    i would just say "i am sorry but i dont think this is working"

+1 , i believe if you have arranged to go on a date with someone then you can at least do them the courtesy of being honest with them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

and also all this softly softly sugar coating bit - trust me hey know what you are doing, honesty is the best policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

You evil woman!!
    I did it to a girl but its ok cos i'm a man!
    Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

This is why I miss the wax museum.

I used to take dates there all the time. If there girl didn't seem all that great or was perhaps one of 'those sorts' who thinks it's a bit weird that you've taken them to a wax museum, well at least I'd still have lots of fun crawling through the furry tunnels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It depends, if someone has been an utter ársehole then I might make up something outrageous just to watch thier face in revenge or I will have fun driving them demented with odd ball and zany conversation which will get worse and worse knowing that they will not want to talk to me ever again.

I did once have to leave a first date cos my cat had caught on fire, which wasn't a lie and was a shame cos it had been fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I used to take dates there all the time. If there girl didn't seem all that great or was perhaps one of 'those sorts' who thinks it's a bit weird that you've taken them to a wax museum, well at least I'd still have lots of fun crawling through the furry tunnels...

I got lost in one of those tunnels when I was a kid. i crawled in and couldn't find my way out and I got scared and started to cry. This nice older boy helped me out, but not before my dad had crawled in the other end to get me.

If you took me to the wax museum I probably would have had scary flash backs and ended up a gibbering wreck!

watna wrote: »
    I got lost in one of those tunnels when I was a kid. i crawled in and couldn't find my way out and I got scared and started to cry. This nice older boy helped me out, but not before my dad had crawled in the other end to get me.

If you took me to the wax museum I probably would have had scary flash backs and ended up a gibbering wreck!

Me too. :(

I had a panic attack in the middle of a tunnel because I couldn't see my way out and my overzealous classmates started pushing me, and I was convinced I was going to suffocate/be crushed to death.

Man I loved that place.... sigh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Thaedydal wrote: »

I did once have to leave a first date cos my cat had caught on fire, which wasn't a lie and was a shame cos it had been fun.

:eek: Never heard of a case of feline spontaneous combustion!

On topic: I dunno what I'd do, I'm a bit too honest, so I'd prolly just tell them I'm not interested and leg it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

That is so wierd!I did to! It was such a fun place to go on dates :) Going to the zoo isnt the same as funny bono deformed waxworks.

Havent had to make an emergency exit but Id say telling the truth and being honest that your not intrested is the best way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

no i would never lie or confront them on it. i would just sit it out and not txt them back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

I just have to go to the errr.. toilet.. yeah that'll do..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thank God I've never been on a date that was so bad I needed to bolt.. I was in the Barge in Portobello one evening with my ex having a drink and a guy was sitting across from us, he was then joined by what appeared to be a blind date, anyway about 10 minutes later she got up to go to the toilet and never came back, I felt so sorry for him, he waited ages, then just necked her drink and shuffled off out of there, he looked mortified :o

That's nothing... I was in Captain Americas a few years back and a guy signaled for the music to be turned down and then he got down on his knee and proposed to the girl he was with... she just got up and ran out of the door.

I guess proposing in the best god damned steak house in town just isn't good enough for some women...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I never even knew people did this type of thing, planning an 'emergency exit'. In fairness though, I kind of live in a hole when it comes to society.
    Most of my dates have been fine, none bad enough to feel the need to run off. How long does dinner last, an hour, maybe two? Easy enough to sit it out, say you've had a nice night and go your separate ways.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Oh my god. . I'd sooo love a date like that. Now that'd be different and exciting. LOLs

I was on a date a few years back, and the guy took me to some ****ty bar in Temple Bar and the whole time all he wanted was for me to go the toilet with to for some *ahem* well I was only shocked. So I told him to go find the toilet, see if it was empty, and come back and get me. So off he went to find the loo's. Needless to say, I wasnt there when he got back!!!

ChewChew wrote: »
    Oh my god. . I'd sooo love a date like that. Now that'd be different and exciting. LOLs

I was on a date a few years back, and the guy took me to some ****ty bar in Temple Bar and the whole time all he wanted was for me to go the toilet with to for some *ahem* well I was only shocked. So I told him to go find the toilet, see if it was empty, and come back and get me. So off he went to find the loo's. Needless to say, I wasnt there when he got back!!!

You'd think he'd be old enough to wipe his own bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You are always going on about going to the Wax museum with girls. I'm beginning to think they closed down the place because of you stealing your 'dates' from the displays ;)

WindSock wrote: »
    You are always going on about going to the Wax museum with girls. I'm beginning to think they closed down the place because of you stealing your 'dates' from the displays ;)

Nonsense... in true horror movie fashion my dates became the displays.

That's why none of them ever looked like who they were meant to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

In 6th year, I got asked out by this mind-bogglingly gorgeous Italian guy. After he kept trying to get me to come to his place, we agreed to meet for coffee in the afternoon in town. When we met, he brought me down to the furthest away, completely empty, darkest corner in the whole place and proceded to be really lecherous. He had absolutely nothing to say for himself other than ask me why I wasn't wearing the miniskirt I'd had on the night we met (in a club). I resorted to asking him questions that we learnt the answers to for our French oral - "What music do you like" and "What are your interests" type questions. He didn't like music and didn't have interests :pac:.

After he revoltingly stuck his tongue in my ear, I escaped and ran to the bathroom, where I rang my best friend and told her to ring me back in 2 minutes, pretending to be my mum. She did, and as I was making my excuses to leave, my actual mum rang! I just pretended that it was really urgent that I leave and pegged it.

God, that was awful!

Advertisement