Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Date "emergency-exit"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ok, Faith seems to have a pretty reasonable excuse to txt herself or use a "get out clause"...

However if i was on a date, and the woman bored me to a near coma, i would just try to enjoy the rest of the night and politely strike her name off the list of women id date in the future.

I think leaving somone mid way through a date for the simple reason that they bored you is a little harsh.

Just my opinion :/

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

This is why I miss the wax museum.

I used to take dates there all the time. If there girl didn't seem all that great or was perhaps one of 'those sorts' who thinks it's a bit weird that you've taken them to a wax museum, well at least I'd still have lots of fun crawling through the furry tunnels...

My abiding memory of the wax museum was seeing a girl tumbling gleefully through aforementioned furry tunnels, coming to the exit, standing up and cracking all her front teeth right off at the gums as she hit the rail in front of the tunnel exit as she stood up. Not a pretty sight to see a hysterical 11 yr old with a mouth full of no teeth and a t-shirt soaked in blood. Not unless you're Rob Zombie or Eli Roth that is, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Yeah it's not really fair to leave in the middle (unless you've got a lecherous Italian's tongue in your ear :)). You can always use it as a learning experience.....e.g. learn to yawn with your mouth closed. This trick can be used in several situations, so it's well worth mastering.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i had a date with a guy i meet out for dinner one night with a group of friends (he was a friend of a friend). anyway, he was charming, full of life and had a real cheeky streak to him. We swapped numbers and went out on a date. Now he didnt drink, so i brought my car with me and didnt drink either. It turned out to the be the most boring date of my life, he had nothing to say for himself and kept asking me "do i still look nervous", "what about now". Anyway, i stuck it out for 3 hours, and then he insisted on walking me to my car, where is proceed to stick his tongue down my throat and i literally mean stick it down my throat. He phoned me the next day to meet up again and i told him that i really didnt think it would work out. He then told my friend i was frigid - nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

irishbird wrote: »
    i had a date with a guy i meet out for dinner one night with a group of friends (he was a friend of a friend). anyway, he was charming, full of life and had a real cheeky streak to him. We swapped numbers and went out on a date. Now he didnt drink, so i brought my car with me and didnt drink either. It turned out to the be the most boring date of my life, he had nothing to say for himself and kept asking me "do i still look nervous", "what about now". Anyway, i stuck it out for 3 hours, and then he insisted on walking me to my car, where is proceed to stick his tongue down my throat and i literally mean stick it down my throat. He phoned me the next day to meet up again and i told him that i really didnt think it would work out. He then told my friend i was frigid - nice :D

He sounded like such a nice guy. You were mad to let him walk out of your life :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Me too. :(

I had a panic attack in the middle of a tunnel because I couldn't see my way out and my overzealous classmates started pushing me, and I was convinced I was going to suffocate/be crushed to death.

I think it happened a lot tbh - hense the smell of pee in the tunnels where kids had freaked out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Any man that took me to the Wax Museum for our first date would get 50 automatic brownie points then and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Wel i did have a date once with a guy who was like a 90 year old man (in attitude and posture) Ate the waiter for not taking our order straight away , gawping at my chest the whole time , even when i called him on it still continued to do it etc. Complete twit. So anyway i got up to go to the loo (ie: do the friend call me with an emergency thing) and he says "Dont go calling your friends to ring ya up with an emergency", i was like "WTF are ya physic or something"

Anyway in the loo not knowing what to do (seriously couldnt stand this guy+wasnt staying) so got my sister to come into the restaurant and say there was an emergency. The guy seemed to buy it thankfully.Owed my sis a few drinks i tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Wel i did have a date once with a guy who was like a 90 year old man (in attitude and posture) Ate the waiter for not taking our order straight away , gawping at my chest the whole time , even when i called him on it still continued to do it etc. Complete twit. So anyway i got up to go to the loo (ie: do the friend call me with an emergency thing) and he says "Dont go calling your friends to ring ya up with an emergency", i was like "WTF are ya physic or something"

Anyway in the loo not knowing what to do (seriously couldnt stand this guy+wasnt staying) so got my sister to come into the restaurant and say there was an emergency. The guy seemed to buy it thankfully.Owed my sis a few drinks i tell ya.

With a guy like this you are 100% right to just walk out... His manners were bad and his staring offensive.

TBH, if you sneak out on a decent, well meaning guy whom you may not fancy but he is doing his best to give you a good night out, then I think it is the height of ignorance....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Hallo,

Does anyone have “emergency exit” when on dates? Example getting your mates to ring you and pretend to be your mam J
    I know it’s silly and juvenile but I have been on a date and he was so boring I texted myself an emergency and I ran… Do men do the same?

If you have done this in the past; share……

It is actually quite pathetic to be honest. It is something that it only acceptable to do if you are a childish 16 year old girl. Any adult with any sort of respect for other people should be able to handle it properly by being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

Went on a date few years ago, the guy turned up wearing a tracksuit on a night time date and I was all dolled up - was mortified! Then he brought me to a pub in town where some fella had been shot a few weeks beforehand (found that out afterwards)- i'd say I stuck out like a sore thumb!
    Got last bus home that night and just ignored his texts for a while, he stalked me for a few weeks with calls and texts - think his record was 50 texts and 22 calls in 1 night - think I had a lucky escape there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I used to take dates there all the time. If there girl didn't seem all that great or was perhaps one of 'those sorts' who thinks it's a bit weird that you've taken them to a wax museum, well at least I'd still have lots of fun crawling through the furry tunnels...
    Dear jeebus help me, but am I the only one saw innuendo in this? :D
    Faith wrote: »
    In 6th year, I got asked out by this mind-bogglingly gorgeous Italian guy. After he kept trying to get me to come to his place, we agreed to meet for coffee in the afternoon in town. When we met, he brought me down to the furthest away, completely empty, darkest corner in the whole place and proceded to be really lecherous. He had absolutely nothing to say for himself other than ask me why I wasn't wearing the miniskirt I'd had on the night we met (in a club). I resorted to asking him questions that we learnt the answers to for our French oral - "What music do you like" and "What are your interests" type questions. He didn't like music and didn't have interests :pac:.

After he revoltingly stuck his tongue in my ear, I escaped and ran to the bathroom, where I rang my best friend and told her to ring me back in 2 minutes, pretending to be my mum. She did, and as I was making my excuses to leave, my actual mum rang! I just pretended that it was really urgent that I leave and pegged it.

God, that was awful!

TBH you should have told the guy where to go, and to his face. There's no excuse for that kind of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

never had the occasion to have to run out on a date because it was so bad, so i'm not really sure what i'd do in that situation.

i'd like to think i'd be mature, state my reasons and get on my way. fact is though, some men don't take rejection too well, and i have been insulted before when telling a guy after a couple of dates that 'it's not really working for me' or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Seraphina wrote: »
    i'd like to think i'd be mature, state my reasons and get on my way. fact is though, some men don't take rejection too well, and i have been insulted before when telling a guy after a couple of dates that 'it's not really working for me' or something similar.

And they wonder why it's not working for you? ha ha ha

Some men as pussies my dear, nothing you can do about that except point and laugh. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

piscean wrote: »
    Went on a date few years ago, the guy turned up wearing a tracksuit on a night time date and I was all dolled up - was mortified! Then he brought me to a pub in town where some fella had been shot a few weeks beforehand (found that out afterwards)- i'd say I stuck out like a sore thumb!
    Got last bus home that night and just ignored his texts for a while, he stalked me for a few weeks with calls and texts - think his record was 50 texts and 22 calls in 1 night - think I had a lucky escape there!!!

Agh, you poor thing. What on earth was he thinking wearing a tracksuit on a date?

I went on a date last night and was absolutely ****ting myself the whole way to the pub, thought I'd end up doing a runner before I even got there. Fortunately I stuck out the nerves and met the fella, who turned out to be really sound, we blabbed away all night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

cant say iv ever had to bail on a date phew. by the sounds of it there are a few random odd balls around the place. as for the wax place def 1000 brownie points.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

if the guy is ignorant/a pr*k then by all means run away!!

if hes genuinely trying, and is just boring or whatever, stick out the date and just dont arrange another one, telling him you dont think its best if need be!

Now, tell me more about this wax museum?!?!? where was it even?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

think it was at the top of o'connell street. Never went to it myself, kinda regretting it now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep... It was just off Parnell Square.

373949468_a4d318c10e.jpg

There was rumours of them reopening in Smithfield... but I think the days of the furry tunnels are numbered.

I'm a sucker for wax museums though... always try and find one when ever I'm on holiday in a new place.

Most recently I was at the Barcelona one.. it was pretty cool... can't find my photos from it though.. boo...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Was in Madam Tussauds in London last year, loved it! :D
    Here's me paying a friend for a favour...
    4503169a6090722934l.jpg

• Advertisement

I actually met and kissed a girl in those tunnels when i was about 13/14. Never even seen her face or anything, just knew her by her voice. She had somehow managed to turn around and was coming back out the way she'd come in 'cos she was scared. I convinced her to backtrack to the part where she'd turned (still don't know how she managed it. 'twas at a corner :confused:) and turn back around and continue on out.

She said i was nice and got a few quick kisses before she turned. She made me wait at the end for a few seconds cos her da would "be raging" that it took her so long to get to the end and he'd make a show of her if he saw her coming out with some boy.
    watna wrote: »
    I got lost in one of those tunnels when I was a kid. i crawled in and couldn't find my way out and I got scared and started to cry. This nice older boy helped me out, but not before my dad had crawled in the other end to get me.

No.....no, it wasn't Watna.
    SarahSassy wrote: »
    With a guy like this you are 100% right to just walk out... His manners were bad and his staring offensive.

TBH, if you sneak out on a decent, well meaning guy whom you may not fancy but he is doing his best to give you a good night out, then I think it is the height of ignorance....

Agree wholeheartedly with both of your points.
    Dear jeebus help me, but am I the only one saw innuendo in this? :D

heh heh, "Furry Tunnels" indeed :D
    There was rumours of them reopening in Smithfield... but I think the days of the furry tunnels are numbered.

There was a story in the meejia a while ago about how they were storing a lot of the models in some warehouse in the quays/docklands area, and somebody organised a rave in a neighbouring warehouse.

Predictably, they broke in and robbed loads of the models and they cost a fortune so i think they were talking about a delay or maybe even cancelling the new one. :(

The old one is now a poxy hotel and it kills me everytime i pass it.

Link: http://www.tribune.ie/2007/08/05/99454.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

SarahSassy wrote: »

Agreed. If a bloke was being really rude like that and just being a pig i'd tell him out straight what i thought and that i was leaving. without doubt. im that kinda person.

In the position of the girl who went out with the Sleaxy Italian... I'd love to say i'd tell him where to go too but i think i'd do a Runner or come out with some crap in tha situation.

But if i was out with someone who wasn't actually doing anything to P*ss me off and was being really nice and i just wasn't interested, i would never do a runner. NEVER. its horrible and i have too much of a conscience - i'd wanna go back and give them a hig and say sorry!! I'd hate it to be done to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Niamho! wrote: »
    In the position of the girl who went out with the Sleaxy Italian... I'd love to say i'd tell him where to go too but i think i'd do a Runner or come out with some crap in tha situation.

Ooooh... nice portmanteau...

Oh yeah.... also, I would NEVER EVER do the phone call "oh theres an emergency" thing. not a chance ever. i'd try and come up with something even a bit more original. Soooo obvious!! :o

Ooooh... nice portmanteau...

Haha, Oops. :o

Advertisement