Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superfines!!!!!!!

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I just got an e-mail from the library announcing the introuction of superfines from 14th April - 16th May, in order to reduce the number of overdue books around the exam period.
    I think this is incredibly welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

If it's anything like NUI Maynooth used to be then it'll just mean an increase in the number of people hiding books in various parts of the library so they can get their hands on them whenever they want...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

r3nu4l wrote: »
    If it's anything like NUI Maynooth used to be then it'll just mean an increase in the number of people hiding books in various parts of the library so they can get their hands on them whenever they want...
    lol honestly ,i did that once,but that was the case of i forget to bring my card with me to borrow the book ,hide it for like 5 minutes,feel so guilty till now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I really don't think it will make a difference. During exam times if people go to the library to get a book chances are that they're gonna stay in the library to study with it which means that there is no point in withdrawing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

*Hugs term-loans*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

*Hugs term-loans*

Don't get too comfy, in NUIM they used to rescind term-loans and recall books up to 1 month before the exams. Not sure what the situation is these days...probably worse! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

* term loans are horribly unfair to undergraduates. Especially when there is only one copy of a text book and some MA has it until about 5 weeks after your deadline.

anyway I love the term
    !!!!SUPERFINES!!!!

I much prefered "Hellafines" or "Apocofines"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Grimes wrote: »
    * term loans are horribly unfair to undergraduates. Especially when there is only one copy of a text book and some MA has it until about 5 weeks after your deadline.
    We're more important than you are. :p
    Look at it as a test of your initiative and resourcefulness, undergrad minion!

I for one welcome the advent of SUPERFINES. Largely cos I rarely withdraw books from the place anyway so they won't affect yours truly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

That was one scary subject line for an email! I thought they were referring to the, ahem, rather large fines yours truly has run up over his time in UCD. I could definitely have kept at least one book at this stage for the same price. Seriously, my first reaction was 'No way can you ban me for being fined, I'm lining your pockets for God's sake!' Then I read the email and thought it was a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

If you request a book that's on term loan it has to be returned within the week. It's quite a fair system.

fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Personally I think they library fines should decrease the further you live from college. If I have a short loan book over due, it'll cost me a €1 (in superfines, plus €2 each way on the bus) just to get into college. Someone in Belgrove or Merville won't have that problem. Where's the justice? :p

Tom65 wrote: »
    Personally I think they library fines should decrease the further you live from college. If I have a short loan book over due, it'll cost me a €1 (in superfines, plus €2 each way on the bus) just to get into college. Someone in Belgrove or Merville won't have that problem. Where's the justice? :p
    For a minute there I thought you were serious :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Well yea sometimes once a book's overdue it works out cheaper to keep it a day or two longer, if returning it means you have to go into college specifically to return it...if the fines were cheaper according to distance then you may make the effort to go in and bring it back, thereby rendering it available to other students all the sooner :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

What if the fines were cheaper and people didn't bother their ass to bring the overdue item back. The logic is clear, hit people in the pocket so they bring items back on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Its 6 euro 80 cent for me to get into college using public transport, it sucks bringing books back, especially when there is nothing else for one to do in college.

They can be renewed over the internet and over the phone provided no one else wants them you know (with the exception of short loans, the purpose of which is to provide a constant supply of books to students). I don't see how people can complain about having to bring them back, it's only fair. Believe me, I've been screwed with some whopper fines (my latest was €36.90 for two week loans and one general loan over the break, all of which had extra copies on the shelves but one of which had been renewed 5 times), I still agree with the system (well, most of it. I don't see the need for the 5 renewals limit if there's other copies available).

.Im just too lazy. I have one in the back of the car thats got 3 euro on it already. And the thing was, I passed the library but i was too lazy to go in or even put my books in the drop box. How Lazy is that ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

im not gonna lie grimes... pretty lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

About time they were introduced!

They've been in trinity for years, and most students believe they work pretty well!

Hopefully it'll dissuade students from taking books out of the library for weeks on end at busy times of the year (ie - now) and deciding it was worth the few euro in the fine to keep them for an extra week or two rather than returning them when they were due back! So frustrating for the rest of us!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Breezer wrote: »
    They can be renewed over the internet and over the phone provided no one else wants them you know (with the exception of short loans, the purpose of which is to provide a constant supply of books to students). I don't see how people can complain about having to bring them back, it's only fair. Believe me, I've been screwed with some whopper fines (my latest was €36.90 for two week loans and one general loan over the break, all of which had extra copies on the shelves but one of which had been renewed 5 times), I still agree with the system (well, most of it. I don't see the need for the 5 renewals limit if there's other copies available).

I think its a great system, I just think I should be exempt from it when I'm feeling lazy. Seems fair enough to me.
    Its 6 euro 80 cent for me to get into college using public transport, it sucks bringing books back, especially when there is nothing else for one to do in college.

€6.80!? Do you hire a helicopter to get in and out?

It's not just the €4 to get in and out; the two hours out of my life are also annoying. Which is why I believe Short Loan Books are the devil.

• Advertisement

I think its a great system, I just think I should be exempt from it when I'm feeling lazy. Seems fair enough to me.
    Can't argue with that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

€6.80!? Do you hire a helicopter to get in and out?

Luas into town 1.90
    Bus to college 1.70
    Bus home 1.70
    Luas home 1.90

Grand total 7.20
    What I do is buy a 1 day bus luas combi which is 6.80 so I save 40 cent. Normally, I'll buy a 30 day ticket which will mean I save even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

anyway I love the term
    !!!!SUPERFINES!!!!

I much prefered "Hellafines" or "Apocofines"

Most postgrads will be focusing on a niche subject. I rarely get requests for the books I have out on term loan although I have a policy of getting them back immediately since you can end up with a book for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Luas into town 1.90
    Bus to college 1.70
    Bus home 1.70
    Luas home 1.90

Grand total 7.20
    What I do is buy a 1 day bus luas combi which is 6.80 so I save 40 cent. Normally, I'll buy a 30 day ticket which will mean I save even more.

I remember those days. Can't you use the monthly or weekly luas/bus combo tickets. Hits you hard at the start but eases the pain daily.

Advertisement