Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

psoriasis & tatoos

Options
  • 08-04-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I do know there is no point in wasting anyones time going to get a tattoo
    on an area that is flared up.

But what about a place that rarely does ?

or as with people who when they get a bad flare up due to what ever until they get it under control it can spread and might spread to a part of the skin ( which it has never happened to before ) on which they have a tattoo ?

( It happens had the joy of it happening to my fecking face last year )

Will a tattooist refuse to work on an area that may be prone to psoriasis ?

If a person gets a tattoo and does have a flare up in on and around it
    ( the joys of flakiness, raw raised skin ect ) will it effect the skin badly and
    will it effect the tattoo ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ask your GP?

I would imagine if inflamed, the ink would leech out, or be gradually promoted to the epidermus and expelled?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That link Hellrazer left looks like your best bet for advice - Someone that suffers from psoriasis and has had some work done. My guess is if it's somewhere that isn't affected usually, and it is a design you are sure you want, then I'd say go for it. If it's somewhere that's often affected, then I'd abstain from trying it. From that article, I'd say that you may experience some of the colour falling out, but it doesn't sound too bad.

Best bets would be to consult with a tattoo artist, and possibly with your doctor (although I'd imagine the doctor would probably be against it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Even though it has never spread to the place where you may get the tattoo, if you do go ahead and get it done you are running the risk that one day it may spread to that area.
    I was reading an entry on modblog a year or two ago about the issue. The person in question was actually a doctor who had psoriasis. He went ahead and got the tattoo on his arm.
    Maybe go chat with a tattoo artist and see what they say to you. Or maybe even a dermatologist?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I couldn't think of the word dermatologist!!!! Thanks Will lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Another concern Id have would be the inks used.Certain colours(reds) have a habit of causing reactions even in people that dont have psoriasis.

Id imagine that these inks could make the condition worse.

I think thats jumping the gun there a bit :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's habitual and genetic so it's something that I live with and try and cut down on things which cause it to flare up but really unless I have a lobotomy a stress free life isn't going to happen :)

The reason I am it is getting is for personal spiritual reasons and it would not be on a part of my body which would be on show, so even if it fades the act of getting it is what is important.

My Dr has recamended that I look at some UV treatments first to see how it effect the places that are currently flared up and then go from there, she's pretty cool.

I will have to some research into the metals in the inks no point getting one which will have the area constantly flaring up.

afaik most tattoo ink doesn't carry metal in them. I'm probably wrong, Richie!! He will know

Actually nearly every tattoo ink contains metals.
    Some are carcinogenic,some cause reactions,some are "heavy" metals.

Ask your tattooist what brand he uses then research it online.By law in the US the contents have to be in the public domain.

• Advertisement

Hmm coulda sworn they didn't (watched mythbusters where they did MRI scans of different tattoo ink)
    Only in large quantities did they move.
    anyway theres the answer, they contain metal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

heh heh I was going to go look up that Mythbusters ep too.

Its a good one :)

Knew I had a link somewhere about Tattoo Ink chemistry.
    Some of the stuff used is just scary.

Then again the best carrier for tattoo ink pigments is supposed to be vodka.........mmmmmmmmmmm

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Tattoo_ink

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa121602a.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Powder jet! oh boy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

Did anyone ever trawl back through Modblog posts when they were bored, back to the days when Shannon used to post old newspapers from the early 1900s about tattoos and piercings? I'm not bored enough to do that again to find the post, but I'm almost positive that he posted an article that had one of the contents of tattoo ink from back then being cocaine, to numb the pain:) It was an article encouraging women to get tattoos, assuring them that because of the cocaine, it wouldn't hurt at all:)

yeah i remember it alright. mad stuff

Advertisement