Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New site - any feedback appreciated

Options
  • 08-04-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

We put this live last night. We've been bug squashing ever since :)

If anyone spots anything odd or has any other feedback please let us know:

http://www.blacknightvps.com/

TIA

Michele

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's definitely follows the hosting site look and feel anyhow.

For some reason I kept trying to click on the package titles, but they're not links. Perhaps because they look like the top tabs.

I'm not mad on the small blue links on the left hand side, the contrast with the background isn't strong enough for me.

In the footer, some the text is hyperlinks, some isn't (the copyright). It isn't obvious until you hover over. Personally I prefer a link to be different to normal text before the mouseover.

The logos at the bottom are all in one image, and some have no descriptive text so they could be anything (though not to people in the know I suppose). I would break them out, put in a proper alt text and possibly link them to the vendor in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

eoin_s wrote: »
    For some reason I kept trying to click on the package titles, but they're not links. Perhaps because they look like the top tabs.

If you mean on the front page, I've already asked for them to be changed to links for exactly the same reason :)
    I'm not mad on the small blue links on the left hand side, the contrast with the background isn't strong enough for me.

What colour would you suggest?
    In the footer, some the text is hyperlinks, some isn't (the copyright). It isn't obvious until you hover over. Personally I prefer a link to be different to normal text before the mouseover.

ok
    The logos at the bottom are all in one image, and some have no descriptive text so they could be anything (though not to people in the know I suppose). I would break them out, put in a proper alt text and possibly link them to the vendor in question.
    hmmm. I know what you mean. I'll have a chat with the designer types and see what they think / suggest etc

The ALTs are something we probably need to spend a lot of time on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

blacknight wrote: »
    If you mean on the front page, I've already asked for them to be changed to links for exactly the same reason :)

Yeah, those are the ones.
    What colour would you suggest?

I'm not a designer, but probably a much darker blue or very dark gray - just more contrast really. I use this page sometimes to check. http://snook.ca/technical/colour_contrast/colour.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Nice site,

Is VPS hosting just another way of saying shared hosting? Just wondering

BingoBongo wrote: »
    Nice site,

Is VPS hosting just another way of saying shared hosting? Just wondering

VPS isn't shared hosting, so we probably need to push people more towards an explanation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Yeah, maybe some explanations between the products, because I always find products being compared being a useful tool when evaluating a product before purchase.

Online sales chat if feasible is always a plus where I could have asked the above question and any others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Looks very good.

The only thing I was initially confused about was the pricing on the homepage. Take the Starter VPS for example, it says €16 per month, but when I clicked through it said €20 per month. I did have to stop and think for a second before I realised it was €200 p.a., and that was where the €16 was coming from.

A minor issue for sure, but it might be worth modifying the text under the monthly price to something like "Or pay €200 annually and save! (equivalent to €16 per month)."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Looks very nice.

Confusing : on the first page the 'Hosting' tab is highlighted, making me think that's where I am. But when I click the 'Hosting' tab I go to irish-vps-hosting.html and it's not clear how to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Its not immediately obvious what VPS hosting is, I had to dig to find this:
    http://blog.blacknight.com/vps_hosting_on_linux_and_windo.html

Which says "With a VPS you have full control. The only limits are your imagination and your credit card limit!" The stuff about credit cards isn't a great sales pitch tbh.

@goodshape - would some kind of "home" link or icon help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Home link wouldn't go a-miss. More important, get rid of the highlighting on the 'Hosting' tab if that's not where I am.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Its not immediately obvious what VPS hosting is, I had to dig to find this:
    http://blog.blacknight.com/vps_hosting_on_linux_and_windo.html

We're definitely going to have to work on that - we've been up to our eyes in this for months, so it's a bit hard to see it objectively

Evil Phil wrote: »
    The stuff about credit cards isn't a great sales pitch tbh.
    Well the idea was that it was expandable and I was quite tired when I wrote it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

@goodshape - would some kind of "home" link or icon help?
    also on the account page. just that when i clicked account(being a nosey potential buyer, i always check every page available to me) so when I wanted to go back, i had to use Alt & Left key or backspace to go back... it's a small thing, but yanno...

good job tho...

So some kind of link to the previously viewed page might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

if you hover over the very top of the page. A black box appears saying "skip to content". Clicking it - nothing happens

warrenaldo wrote: »
    if you hover over the very top of the page. A black box appears saying "skip to content". Clicking it - nothing happens

That's being removed

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

We're doing our best to make the changes as quickly as possible

Michele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

On the home page, there's so much whitespace at the bottom which is fine in itself, but it's not just a case of it being whitespace, as it's causing a scroll bar. Presumably a css issue, but I keep trying to scroll with my scroll wheel, an automatic reaction when I see the bar.

Advertisement