Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rock band europe price

Options
  • 08-04-2008 12:36pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭

its ****ing scandalous

i hope that nobody buys this i understand that people want this game badly but nobody should put up with this sort of ridiculous over-pricing

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=130927

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's an absolute and utter ****ing disgrace that EA are charging this. It comes to 240 euros for the instruments and the game (not including the extra added on by irish retailers anyway) while the game and instruments cost 107 euro in america. It's almost 2.5 times the price over here.

It would be cheaper to import the game for the 360 including the shipping costs just for the instruments and to buy the game over. Thats what I'm considering doing.

Never let it be said that EA are not a pack of utter c*unts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

It's not really my type of game, but that's lol-worthy...WOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Does the €240 contain both guitars, the drums and mic? Because compared to games like Guitar Hero (€100 at least for 1 guitar and game) its not that bad.

As for it being cheaper in america, welcome to european game pricing. We always pay far more than the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I can only guess that it is a mistake,

And the "Instrument Edition" DOES in fact contain the game,

170 euro is not too bad.

If its true and the game and instruments are sold seperately (which makes no sense at all) then its a disgrace.

But i really think it must be a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

I'd sooner make a €240 papier maché swan tbh. What morons do the pricing for EA in Europe? Seriously. I was mildly interested in getting this game but if this is level of cretinry EA think they're dealing with (I hope) they're sadly mistaken. With the Irish retail bump, I can easily see this retailing for €300, more than an Xbox360 and the same price as a PS3...Jaysus me heart, I think I'll go sit down now...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What a pile of cack. Why would the game not be included in "instruments addition"??

I expected it to be 150-200 euro but FFS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

this is just as bad as guitar hero as its just a case of " click click click click click "

whoever pays 240 for it needs a smack of a bus imo :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Check out the you tube clips where punters have wired their rock band drum kits to their mac's etc. Mad stuff!

There is another one where some bloke made his real drum kit his rock band drum kit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

wont be bothering with that then maby import the ps3 version but no way im buying it here. Another peice of european price hiking. Anyone really surprised at this happens with everything game related.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    As for it being cheaper in america, welcome to european game pricing. We always pay far more than the USA.

well yes we all know that but more than twice the price?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

like in dollar terms in the us you get everything for about $170 and here we'll get it in dollar terms again for about $380

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Urge. to. kill.... rising!

EA, you're like school in summertime! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

*whistle*

It cant stay like that.

No one will pay those prices, especially not that its 360 only.

You might have gotten away with it on a console with a much less connected fanbase but between xbox live and the internet huge number of people will know how much they are being ripped off.

Now if they had shipped with Wii and PS3 versions in tow, EA might have caught a few via the casual gaming market but this wont sell unless the instrument pack ships with a copy of the game.

It has to be a mistake...look at what you can buy for the same price: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10552143&postcount=202

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 m2p2008

no its going to be 170 for evary thing got pre order allraday on play .com

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

EA will come out later today (or in the next couple of days) to say that the Instrument Edition includes the game.

They've got massive amounts of free publicity today, and increased product awareness.
    When they say that the €170 includes the game, everyone is going to go "Yay" and prebook/buy the game.

Negative publicity is still publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=130870
    (Update: EA has now clarified pricing details, too, having left them out of its original announcement. The instruments will be GBP 129.99 / EUR 169.99 with the game sold separately.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

240 for EU price?then 300 for our local shop i guess?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Bite the pillow, it's goin in dry...

Bite the pillow, it's goin in dry...
    Ouch... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

240 quid to play Simon?
    They can keep it. Unfortunately people will pay it.

• Advertisement

reading around the petitions and forums about this.

Which is p*ssing people off more here?

a) The price tag of the instruments

b) The fact that you get only the instruments and have to pay seperatly for the game.

Alot of people seem to be getting angry at the 160-170 euro price tag and demanding equal exchange rate price between the US and Europe.

Now my grasp of economics is dusty leaving cert standard, but I do understand that as part of the EU we play host to a wide selection of laws and restrictions on products that dont exist in europe, from restrictions on what the packaging (yes I do believe the plastic used on american products does not stand up to european standards) can be made out of to tax on goods produced outside the EU. of course there not the only costs, especially if you buy from high street.

So the higher price tag of 170 euros for the product (rather then a direct exchange rate cost putting it at 100 or so euros) is understandable if one was to work out the hidden costs.

But what gets me as the money grabbing greedy aspect that screams injustice to gamers of europe is seperating the game away from the package. Thats pure simple greed. EA cannot put the blame for that on the EU or other such nonsense.

Its not 170, BlitzKrieg. Its 240 for the full package. 170 will just get you some useless plastic toys.

read my post again. its 240 only because you are forced to buy the game seperatly to the instruments.

it should be 170 for instruments and game in one package. Thats what I feel EA has most f*cked up on. IF they had announced 169.99 for the same package the US got, I would expect there would have been some complaints about *rip off ireland* (or europe in this case) but not the same outright backlash they are getting from both you and myself because they have broken the package up.

(sort of like Grindhouse all over again)

Sorry man, it wasn't clear from your post. :)

Just so we're on the same page: EA Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    read my post again. its 240 only because you are forced to buy the game seperatly to the instruments.

it should be 170 for instruments and game in one package. Thats what I feel EA has most f*cked up on. IF they had announced 169.99 for the same package the US got, I would expect there would have been some complaints about *rip off ireland* (or europe in this case) but not the same outright backlash they are getting from both you and myself because they have broken the package up.

(sort of like Grindhouse all over again)

Again i have to say,

I am sure that the package will be 170 euro WITH game,

And that they have simply ****ed up with the press release, possibly for publicity.

There is no way they will sell the "Instrument Edition" with no game.

It makes no sense whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

yet people will still buy it, justifing EA's decision to price it in this manner.

Sure people whine, moan and bitch and sign some kind of pointless electronic petition, but they'll eventually just shut up and hand over the 270Quid.

I'd be very, very surprised if EA back down over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

WellyJ wrote: »
    Again i have to say,

I am sure that the package will be 170 euro WITH game,

And that they have simply ****ed up with the press release, possibly for publicity.

There is no way they will sell the "Instrument Edition" with no game.

It makes no sense whatsoever.
    Well no one in EA seems to know about the **** up

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=131029

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

240 euro for a game. Regardless of how good it is, who can afford that ? Ridiculous price. Sales will suffer as a result.

the fact that you can buy a 360 arcade version for that price, or just about a Wii (short a tenner) more then says that the excuse:
    "But Rock Band isn't normal in videogames," he continued. "This is an entirely new thing. What other game comes with three peripherals that are all different? It just makes sense for the experience we're trying to deliver."

is a load of bollocks.

And the Vat/electronic consumers good argument doesnt work because the problem has nothing to do with adding on charges to cover vat etc, thats already covered by the 1 for 1 exchange rate, the issue here is charging 70 euro for a specific item that in all respect was handed out free in the US and Canada (instruments + game in US in one price, Instruments+game seperate in EU)

Though the curious thing about the article is the fixation on price point, WellyJ could (in a very long shot) be right that its all a misunderstanding because the internet backlash has been so muddled that alot of people have picked up that europeans are pissed at the difference in price between the US and EU, not that we are being forced to pay twice over. The article says nothing about why the packages were divided up, which gives a small glint of hope.

• Advertisement

Full interview is up now:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=131097

Maybe the euro/sterling thing is confusing them?

Advertisement