Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Campus Accom.

• 08-04-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey.
    My little sister is hoping to start in NUIM next year and wants to know what the nicest campus accomodation is?I don't really know Maynooth but from my experience in Galway there can be quite a variation in the standard of the apartments.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

river apts are the newest, and most consider them the best. they are nice!

Usually, the only ones who dont agree are those who lived in rye hall.

Personally, i never really liked village apts, but they were ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭coxy14

Yeah, River apts are probably considered the nicest, there are usually 5 people to an apartment and every room has an en-suite (in the other apts you have to share the bathroom) Can be quite pricey though and as far as I know they went up by about €20/month last year alone. You should check out <http://residence.nuim.ie/august.shtml&gt; for more info. (Sorry im not sure how to do a direct weblink on this site!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭cython

River are the nicest finished apartments, with all rooms being en suite, but the walls really are paper thin. Rye Hall I always found you heard a lot less from the other rooms in the same apt.

That'd be my 2 main points of having lived in each one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mrs. D'arcy

Thanks Guys, She's all about her luxury so I think we'll check out the River Apts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Noodlehead

River Apartments are highly overrated- the ensuite bathrooms are completely unnatural, the shower drains onto the floor by design so your entire bathroom is left soaking for hours after you shower- and the bathroom has no window, which is depressing. The lights in the apartment buzz like institutional lighting. The kitchen/living area reminds me of a hostel kitchen thrown into a budget dentist waiting room, so cold and sterile. The windows in the main room allow everyone to see your in your entirety at any stage but should you prefer privacy and choose to pull down the offwhite plastic blinds, you add a lovely grey tinge to your bare white walls- so homely. With such large windows and three thin outfacing walls, the room is always an ice box. Storing food is barely a possibility, you are provided with 1 fridge between 5 people, and the freezer is ridiculous- just 2 small drawers, I couldn't fit a loaf of bread in there if I wanted to. There aren't even enough shelves in the fridge to allocate one per person. Cutlery is sparce, I believe at the moment, we have 2 forks in our apartment.

With regard to sound, I wake up EVERY time a housemate comes in from being out, the doors automatically bang so it can't be avoided. The walls are indeed paper thin, I also wake up hearing my housemate getting into her creaky bed next door.

The bedroom is decent, in all honesty. Apart from the fact that the beds (though comfy) creak to a phenomenal extent and the wardrobes don't have doors, so no matter how clean the room is, the shelves of clothes make it look messy. You get a large desk, which is appreciated, and internet connection- which is about as reliable as Dublin Bus. I'd say it spends 2 full days a week down, at random, which can be a nightmare if you have an assignment due.

If your phone is meteor, you will NOT get signal in the apartments. This year as been a nightmare for me screaming "hello? hello? can you hear me? hello?" down a broken line.

Worst part is, you can end up with a fleet of nutcases living in your apartment, its mixed, which some people like, but as a girl, I always think its less comfortable to walk around in pyjamas when guys you don't really know are there.

Campus apartments mean you have a long walk to the village, bus stop, or train station. Definitely living out in the town would be more accessible, besides, who wants to literally be in college 24/7? 420 euro a month plus bills would get you a way nicer place in town....

Excuse the rant, this has just been my experience. If these are the best apartments, then maybe apartments aren't the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Rye hall makes strange clanky noises at night and the carpet absorbs stuff.

The carpets absorb stuff? like, liquids? or more interesting stuff? like the tv. And that guy noone has seen in about 3 weeks?

I've lived in town and in river, and preferred town for the freedom. Longer walk to campus, jsut as long to town as from campus, there were 4 of us and we had 1 bathroom, 1 smaller fridge and 1 smaller bedroom. But, less drunken students spending ~ 2 hours talking outside my house (paper thin walls is right!) and a BACK GARDEN was great! not to mention the FRONT GARDEN!

for 420 a month, it is a bit of a rip though. Noodle would defo be right!

There are positives and negitives to apts, but for a first year, I'd be all for apts. did me a world of good, met some good people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Just to echo what others have said, the river apartments are the better if you can use that term. Personally I think a good alternative to campus is Barton Hall. It is located on pound lane(just behind main street) and is literally 5 min walk to Dunnes and campus. It is probably the most expensive off campus accomodation but cheaper than campus. You also get wireless broadband. The places has a real campus feel however as it is designed like it, but much better furniture etc.

If you want to check it out do it quick as possiblem, places go quick and there are not too many single rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭kellybelly

Hey OP,similar situation myself,my little sister(I say little she's going into 3rd year this Sept) is looking for campus accomodation aswell,she's kinda stressed out at the minute,so i said i'd try and help her out,being such a good person and all.

I done my degree in Maynooth,but I did'nt stay on campus although having seen all the different types there all much the same.

Would anyone know how likely it is for a third year student to get campus?..I remember hearing that the used to reserve most places for freshers and third years,any truth in that?...Any info would be appreciated.

i lived in Barton, and didnt like it at all! i wouldnt go back for any rent! was cheeper, but i knew very quickly i was getting a rawer deal. For the same rent Ive gotten a much better place.

Kelly, there is small amount of truth, but its not a rule to go by, i would definately apply good and early!

• Advertisement

Thanks Folan,yeah I was kinda thinking that.Gonna get the application in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 monters

village appartments are horrible - iv lived here now for 2 years and cant wait to get the hell outa them
    the rooms are small and fusty - with a **** heater that either doesnt work or scalds you to death....all the blinds are broken - the wireless internet connection is ****e - as is meteor coverage.
    the bathrooms are disgusting - no matter how much you clean them. the toilet seats, showerseat (incase u happen to be disabled) are all broken - and the oneills (old people who rule these appartments) don t bother their arse to fix anything....oh and if they do - they fine you for the costs.

Put the application in there on Fri Morn.Any idea when we will get word on it for sure?

Advertisement