Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Form 11 Technical query

• 08-04-2008 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

How can you be exempt from deposit and rental income?? unless you are non-resident in which case you cannot claim any credits.

The point of claiming back dirt as a credit is that where the gross deposit interest falls into the scope to tax and you get a 20% credit for DIRT already paid not that you are entitled to a refund of DIRT. i.e if €100 bucks deposit interes €20 has been deducted at source by the banks and paid to the Revenue- you get a credit for this so the €100 is not taxed twice. If the deposit interest is exempt (which i am dubious about) you get no credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

You could be exempt from DIRT if you are over 65 or permanently incapacitated, and exempt from rental income if it is in their private residence and below the threshold.

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/press/pr_100407.htm

It would seem from the above link that an application should have been made to the bank regarding the deduction of DIRT and not the revenue, unlike previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Okay- I've had a look.

TCA S 267 deals with the refunds and states such persons may only recieve a refund of DIRT deducted where their credits exceed their tax liability.

check this first.

If it is the case that their credits exceed their liability by the amount of DIRT deducted I'd insert the Gross amount on which DIRT was deducted on page 14 of the Form 11 (Box A4) and paper file the return. I would then submit a letter/ fax to their local district explaining the situation and claiming the refund under S 267.

You can also write a letter to the bank requesting that DIRT not be deducted in future.

Advertisement