Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL vs Cable Vs Wireless

Options
  • 08-04-2008 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

I hate Wireless providers the siginal does be bad having used Ripwave form Irish Slowband I would never touch another wireless provider again.

As regards DSL vs cable I think it depends on the state of the network in your area.

NTL in my area got a major upgrade a few years ago and I think their broadband product is really good.
    256701922.png

DSL in my area is very bad I tried Eircom broadband and the siginal on my line was just not good enough.

I think it my be useful is we posted about our areas and where the Cable or DSL network is either good or bad.

Dublin 24 the cable is a dream however the DSL for my experence is a no go area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ripwave is as different from some Wireless technologies as Dialup is from Cable or DSL.

Metro (Wireless) is similar to Cable & DSL in low latency, high speeds. IBB Breeze and Digiweb FWA wireless reliably give about 2Mbps.

Ripwave is good low cost alternative to dialup and ISDN.

There must be nearly a dozen quite different Wireless technologies in use in Ireland now. Don't tar all with same brush. Also like DSL you can be in a poorer or bad area.

You can't really go by area
    For Wireless, Cable and DSL:
    Adjoining house could be different cable segment, different exchange, pair gain, bad line or blocked by tree/building for Wireless.

Obviously some areas don't have any Wireless or poorer wireless technolgy only, or have no cable or exchange not enabled or too far from exchange.

We have this thread on Which Broadband Where already:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95197

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Ok I see thanks.

This country has a way to go to offer a good choice of broadband to all users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

Net 1 wireless is either really really good or really really bad depending on where you are,

If you happen to have a good connection you can get 4MB up and down.

For a few years I was getting 100 down and 300 up if I was very lucky. Now im getting the full 4000 each way (Sometimes)

EDIT: Im in Co Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

Ranicand wrote: »
    I hate Wireless providers the siginal does be bad having used Ripwave form Irish Slowband I would never touch another wireless provider again.

As regards DSL vs cable I think it depends on the state of the network in your area.

NTL in my area got a major upgrade a few years ago and I think their broadband product is really good.
    256701922.png

DSL in my area is very bad I tried Eircom broadband and the siginal on my line was just not good enough.

I think it my be useful is we posted about our areas and where the Cable or DSL network is either good or bad.

Dublin 24 the cable is a dream however the DSL for my experence is a no go area.

Hi Ranicand,

You really will never know the health of a network until you try them like you mentioned above. DSL and Cable may be fantastic in your area but Wireless may be shocking due to poor LOS or a whole host of other reasons. In the case of the 5.XGHz band there could be X number of Operators in your area all competing against each other for the same 11 channels.

If ComReg and the Government were serious about a nationwide roll out they should allocate more spectrum for FWALA and not on the poxy 5.4/5.8GHz band and at a reasonable price.

Its going to take some amount of investment and time before the entire country will have 100% broadband penetration. Lets face it, the broadband operators run a business so its not commercially viable for Eircom or Digiweb or UPC to spend mega bucks on small rural villages to cater for 500 people or so :(

Until then just be happy with what ya got ;)

Advertisement