Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for conversation exchange with McGuire graduate

Options
  • 08-04-2008 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hello!

I'm a guy in his early 20s, who also stammers. It is quite a big issue in my life but I don't let it rule my life. I believe I stammer for many differents reasons, psychological, physiological and chemical etc.

In relation to the psychological aspect I fear of being perceived as aggresive when speaking and as a result block in some situations. I also have issues with assertiveness as well. Having said that I am extremely ambitious and I tend to do things before thinking whether or not I will be placed in daunting speaking situations. For example, I used to work as an English teacher and my stammer didnt get in the way at all.

Having said that one of the aspects I need work on is my breathing. I went to sign up for the Mcguire program, however it is booked up until next February 2008! :o so basically, I would like to meet a Mcguire graduate who could teach me the breathing technique and we could practice it together and talk about our various experiences over coffee etc. What I also find benificial is setting myself speech challenges (making phonecalls etc) and we could also set each other challenges. If I made a friend who stammers like me that would be great too.

If you are interested, I'd really like to hear from you! You can PM me or post a reply. Talk soon! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Hi Intel,

just reading your message now. Do you work in Intel or did you just need a name quick and read that off your PC ? :)

So did you ever find anyone from the MaGuire Programme ?
    Are you going to do the programme in Feb 2009 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭maryjm

Have a look at the Irish stammering website. you mite be able to get in contact with an SLT who could give you some advice:
    www.stammeringireland.ie

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

Thanks guys.

Yes, that's exactly how I got my name hehe. Full marks for originality I guess!! :D

I inquired about the programme a while back and it seemed pretty booked up, so I didn't want to make a commitment so far into the future. Maybe sometime in the future when I have some cash on hand.

My passion is learning languages so I do participate in a few language exchanges at the moment.
    I'll trundle on! I have to realize that this stutter/blocking is not going to go away and I need to be a lot more open about it and find ways of coping.

I managed to aquire a cancellation on the FEB '09 McGuire course.
    So I'm going to give it a go. Money is an issue, especially now, but what price can one put on speaking without fear ?
    I will be worth it if it works.
    I'll post up my thoughts after I do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tipp-Boy

Hi,

I would be interested to see how you got on - keep us posted on your progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TheBa

Hey guys. I've been part of the McGuire programme in the past and I must say, it was a great help to me.
    Unfortunately, due to different circumstances, I kinda fell off the wagon for a while but I hope to be at the Cork course in May to get back on track!
    Might see some of you there! :)

Well I went on the course 1st week in Feb, and said I'd post something after it...

The McGuire Programme is great. I'd highly recommend it.
    It's intense but the results can be seen in 1-2 days.
    There's a lot of work to do after the course, so you have to be ready and willing to put in the effort and trust these people..they know what they're on about. If you keep it up, it does work.

Basically its a new way of breathing, techniques, and facing your fears.
    Your confidence builds up and by the end of the week, you feel like you're on top of the world, and not afraid to speak to anyone.
    It's also life-long membership, so it's totally well worth the money (€1,100).

What more can I say, it's brilliant, and should be considered, even if you do have to wait a few months for a course. I got lucky and got on a course within 3 months. You should be ready though, in body and mind, that you do want to overcome your stammer, and give it your best....it will work for you.
    The results are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Congrats Chef, hope it works well for you. If you have a setback, try not and panic, the support group is there for you.

I did the Mc Guire years ago, was good but not for me, I got better results on the PATMAR but I applaud anyone who faces up to their stammer and tries to help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nifferdoodle

Intel,

I haven't worked with the McGuire Programme, but many SLT's will work with clients on deep breathing vs shallow breathing. It's much more relaxing to breath deep. Most singers are adept at this as well! You can tell if you're breathing deeply by lying on the floor and taking a deep breath. Can you see your belly rising? If so, you're doing it right. Then, get in front of a mirror and take that same deep breath. What moved first, your belly/sides or your shoulders? Try to breathe so that your belly and sides move out first. Try to take 4 seconds breathing in and 6-8 seconds breathing out.

Good luck with McGuire!
    Jen, SLT, www.release.ie

Advertisement