Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terry Henry on the move?

• 08-04-2008 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭

Any ideas on where he might go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He's goin to City with Ronny :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

It's gotta be the Pool..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Boro

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Source to say he might be moving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Everyone knows Henry is scouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

To the nearest Renault dealer?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Everyone knows Henry is scouse.

Is that what they call those from the outskirts of Paris these days?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

it'll be to london anyway, to be nearer the daughter, which is his reason for perhaps wanting to move

Chelsea si the only possibility there then isnt it Event?

cant see them wanting him tbh, or him wanting to go there.

Apparently it is true though, that he wants to move back to England for family reasons. Don't care that he had a bad season at Barca. He's still the dogs boll0cks..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

DSB wrote: »
    Source to say he might be moving?

Barca said they are willing to talk with Henry and the club if a decent offer came through.He's most likely going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i can't think that he would join any of the London clubs, but i wouldn't be surprised to see him back in England

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

ibh wrote: »
    Apparently it is true though, that he wants to move back to England for family reasons. Don't care that he had a bad season at Barca. He's still the dogs boll0cks..

But who in England would he go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Cant see any of the big 4 actually wanting him to be honest.
    He wouldnt fit into either Liverpool or Chelseas systems.
    Cant see him going to spurs out of loyalty to Arsenal but you never know.
    If he was going to England his most likely destination is that retirement home in the North: Newcastle!

I think he'd go to Liverpool.

Mike he'd fit perfectly to our system!

Masch----Alonso
    Kuty/Babel----Gerrard----Henry/Babel
    Torres/Henry

I think he'd go to Liverpool.

Mike he'd fit perfectly to our system!

Masch----Alonso
    Kuty/Babel----Gerrard----Henry/Babel
    Torres/Henry

Cant see Rafa blowing 15m+ on a aging player with huge wages and ask him
    to play in a much deeper role.
    He can be extremely lazy, is prone to sulk on the field and despite his
    amazing talent i for one would not want him to join.
    Would see 15m spent on ashley young as a much better investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

IrishMike wrote: »
    If he was going to England his most likely destination is that retirement home in the North: Newcastle!

Good one! :D:D:D:D:D:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the summer and I really empathise with the situation with his daughter, but he can expect a backlash from Barça fans. He was absoutely woeful at the start of the season (think Shevchenko last season for Chelsea), had a decent spell in the middle and is now back to playing poorly. Maybe it's a case of him losing a yard of pace or La Liga not suiting him.

If he does move to England, it'll be to a club around London but I can't really see who. Maybe Chelsea, if Drogba or Shevchenko move in the summer. Even if he does go there, he can't expect to be the centre of attention and focal point for every attack. Personally, I don't think Chelsea would suit his style. I don't think he'll move back to Arsenal either. Which, for me, only leaves one possibility. If Berbatov goes in the summer, Spurs will need another striker to come in and Ramos might be interested if he got Henry on the cheap. So, how much does he love his daughter?!:p

There or QPR;they could probably afford his wages!:D

it wouldnt be 15 million i wouldnt imagine. sure Barca only paid that last year for him. I'd imagine it'd be about 10 million. He plays that deeper/wider role for Barca at the moment a bit doesnt he? and has done a lot of his best work from those positions whenever i've seen him over the years.

it wouldnt be 15 million i wouldnt imagine. sure Barca only paid that last year for him. I'd imagine it'd be about 10 million. He plays that deeper/wider role for Barca at the moment a bit doesnt he? and has done a lot of his best work from those positions whenever i've seen him over the years.

He was almost out of contract when he left Arsenal though.
    Even 10m if you ask me is too much because he will be looking for parity with Gerrard and Torres on the wage front.
    4m-5m a year for his wages is definitely not worth it.
    He also did his best work dropping deep beside Pires and playing intricate 1-2s
    or using his pace to fly past people.
    He is not that player anymore and at Liverpool he would be expected to track
    back which he just wont do.
    Better chance of brown being named on the team of the season that
    Henry signing for Liverpool imho ;)

• Advertisement

maybe you're right Mike, i guess we'll only know for sure if he signs ;)

I just think he is the type of player we should be looking at, someone who is proven class, and could bridge the gap, win us the games we've lost/drawn this year like Blackburn,Portsmouth,Birmingham etc. They are the games that will get us our 19th title. all the while also providing a bigger threat against big teams than the likes of Kuyt/Babel/voronin/yossi do. and i think he could do all that while being the perfect mentor for Babel. He has also spoken on numerous occassions on his respect for Liverpool and its fans.

Quick question, probably for an Arsenal fan; Did Henry only have one year left on his contract, i seem to remember him signing an extension the year you lost the CL final and there was all the speculation about him leaving....did i dream that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He wasn't almost out of contract. Had 3 years left I believe. Had only signed a new one the previous summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Villa might bid for him but can't see him coming, I'd say spurs to replace Beratrov when he leaves for Utd in the Summer

Liverpool should take the fcuking hand off Barca if there's a chance that they can get Henry. He should be less than what they paid for him considering he didnt settle there and wants to get out of there.

I haven't noticed Babel doing too much tracking back this season so i'd be quite happy to offer TH the same liberties. If you ask me, thats why you have 2 defensive midfielders, to plug those gaps.

He is a player comfortable in possession which is something that i think L'pool need, and would probably be very effective in a slightly deeper position providing you're not expecting him to score the amount of goals he did while at Arsenal, where the system was built around him.

I'll put my balls on the line and say now that IF he signs for an English club, it'll be Liverpool. Think i suggested as much in the Liverpool thread couple of weeks ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Surely he wouldent go to Spurs after being an Arsenal icon.

Its football lads, Sol Campbell? Remember that fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i couldn't see him joining Spurs. Keane needs a proper centre-forward to work alongside, something Henry certainly is not. and i'd be very very surprised if Berbatov joins Man Utd as someone has suggested above

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Surely he wouldent go to Spurs after being an Arsenal icon.

You mean surely Spurs wouldn't take him..... Ramos is a shrewd man and would not frivelously throw money for a fading star Dave Jones style. In fact thats where he will go. Where all fading strikers go. Cardiff City!! Him, Robbie Fowler and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank. Pratts!!

I think people are writing Henry off a little too much, he's had a bad season but so has most of the Barca team including Ronaldhino, I wouldn't write him off.

• Advertisement

I officially write Henry off!
    In twelve months time i will look back at this post after Henry scores 37 league goals
    and weep but until then im steadfast in my judgement! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can't see him going to a non-CL club. Can't see him coming back to England except to Arsenal.
    Off to Italy with him I'd say.

kind of defeats the purpose though PHB if he is making the move to be closer to his daughter? No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

PHB wrote: »
    Can't see him going to a non-CL club. Can't see him coming back to England except to Arsenal.
    Off to Italy with him I'd say.
    He failed there before though, Italian football is at it's worse state in my memory, and all this talk about his daughter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Chelsea si the only possibility there then isnt it Event?

cant see them wanting him tbh, or him wanting to go there.

oh they'd take him alright, imagine him and drogba?

and with enough €€€€ he'd go anywhere

Ultimately football will come into play. Can't see him going to a non-CL club, even if it means moving to Italy.

If he moves, it's because he's being moved on imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Well hes supposedly home sick and misses his family so if he does leave, it will be to an English club. He will also want champions league football.

Chelsea - London club...but cant see it happening
    Arsenal - Most probable destination
    Liverpool - Second most likely destination, has spoken of his admiration of the club an gets on well with Gerrard.
    Man Utd - Dont see it happening.

event wrote: »
    oh they'd take him alright, imagine him and drogba?

and with enough €€€€ he'd go anywhere

In all fairness what are the chances of Drogba playing with Chelsea next year??? The only way he'll play with Drogba is if he stays at Barca and Jose is appointed there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Tusky wrote: »
    Well hes supposedly home sick and misses his family so if he does leave, it will be to an English club. He will also want champions league football.

Chelsea - London club...but cant see it happening
    Arsenal - Most probable destination
    Liverpool - Second most likely destination, has spoken of his admiration of the club an gets on well with Gerrard.
    Man Utd - Dont see it happening.
    Would Arsenal really take him back though after all was said when they were playing so well earlier in the season about how he held them back

Although they have looked very one dimensional in recent weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Would Arsenal really take him back though after all was said when they were playing so well earlier in the season about how he held them back

Although they have looked very one dimensional in recent weeks

Well, I didnt really pay too close attention to that so Im not sure. I really cant imagine him going to anyone outside of the big 4. Im sure he would think he was too big for the likes of Everton or City. Wouldnt go to Spurs because of the rivalry and I really cant imagine him playing for Newcastle, Blackburn or Villa.

You never know though. If he is truly homesick and has his heart on a move home closer to his daughter, he may go to anyone that offers him a contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I dont agree with what was said about him going where the €€€€ is. He has never seemed like that kind of guy IMO. I think he would be a perfect signing for Liverpool, would definitely help Babel with his game like he helped Walcott at Arsenal. Even if its only for 2-3 years he couldnt be a bad signing. Imagine the pace of Torres, Babel, Stevie and Henry running at defenders.

Torres

Henry
    Gerrard
    Babel

Masch
    Alonso

• Advertisement

He's not good enough anymore for a title winning squad imo. Wouldn't want him at United. Can't see why Arsenal or Chelsea would want him.
    Liverpool seems a good fit, but how much closer is that really than Barca?

**** that line up above would be class

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

He's not good enough anymore for a title winning squad imo. Wouldn't want him at United. Can't see why Arsenal or Chelsea would want him.

Not good enough for the squad????

I could understand if you said the first XI but surely he's worth a place in the squad of any team in the PL

Ridiculous statement tbh.. How does someone like Saha or Giggs have a place in a (potential) title winning squad??

I could see Chelsea wanting him cause he's the style of player that they still lack. Although they may be cautious about buying an ageing legend after the Sheva disaster..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I agree with him not being the one to move for money so I think there's a decent chance he might move to Inter or AC for the milanese lifestyle. He's into the fashion malarky and if you have the money Milano is great. He also has something to prove in italy

Stupid post of the week right there.
    He is good enough to walk into most teams in the world so to say he is not
    good enough for a title winning squad is just beyond belief.

Eh, not sure to be honest. I think Wenger sold him at the right time, infact, maybe he should have sold him a year earlier, gotten more money.

He'll be 31 by the start of next season. His primary attribute is his pace, and it's fading. Also he is injury prone.
    He's still got a lot of magic in him, but to be honest,

I'd pick Arsenals first 3 strikers ahead of him, I'd pick Uniteds first two strikers ahead of him, and for the 3rd one I'd want somebody better than Henry.
    I'd even pick Chelseas top 3 strikers ahead of him, although it's close been Shevchenko and Henry.
    Liverpool just happen to have a derth in quality up front after Torres, so he'd be a good fit for them, as in he's better than Crouch, but to be honest, don't think he's good enough to warrent his costs.

If he was willing to accept something like 60k a week on a one year deal, and he cost less than 6 million, I think it'd be an average move for United, wouldn't be too happy, wouldn't be too sad, but to be honest, he's past his prime.
    There's a reason Bojan has displaced him.

He's still a dangerous player, no doubt about it, indeed I wouldn't be surprised if he played a key role in the CL this year, but for a title challenging squad, he's just not consistantly good enough anymore.

its a ridiculous thing to say alright PHB.

O'Shea,Brown,Anderson,Nani,Giggs,Saha,Silvestre et al, are good enough for a title winning sqaud, but Henry isnt? Get a grip lad.

His primary attribute is his pace, and it's fading. Also he is injury prone.

? His primary attribute is his amazing ability to score every single type of goal you can imagine.
    The only strikers better than him in the premiership at the moment are Drogba and Torres.
    United dont have a striker that scores goals like Henry (im counting Ronaldo
    as a winger not a striker obviously) or anywhere near as often as Henry
    Arsenal have Adebayour but he has done it for all of half a season as has Torres.
    He would still be in the top 3 strikers in the league if he came back to England
    so it is mindblowing to say he would not be good enough to be in any of
    the top 4s squads.

You are obviously taking crap because to say his pace is fading obviously means you
    havent seen him at all this season.
    His pace is far from fading, he is as fast as ever.
    He just hasnt adapted at all to the Barca system and/or lifestyle
    The man is still a genius

Saha is a great player when fit, he's just never fit.

Giggs isn't good enough anymore for a title winning squad.

Brown imo is an average player, who I could take or leave. The only reason I'd like to keep him is because he's a local lad. Still, in their relative position, Brown has been better than Henry this year.

O'Shea plays as a magical utility player, which in a 5 subs rule league is essential. If Henry could play up front, on the wings and in central midfield, you might have a point.

Anderson and Nani have played at least as good as him this year, and are young and hence it's ok to have them play poorly because they will develop.

--
    His primary attribute is his amazing ability to score every single type of goal you can imagine.

No, that was his primary attribute.

This isn't Henry of 2 or 3 years ago, when he was very likely the best striker in the league by some distance.
    Just like Shechenko ya know, 2 or 3 years ago, who was arguably the best striker in the world.

Take a look at Henry's stats:

3 seasons ago: 30 goals in all comps
    2 seasons ago: 33 goals in all comps
    1 season ago: 18 goals in all comps
    this season: 11 goals in all comps

He's a rapidly fading player, which isn't surprising. He isn't making it at Barca for a reason, and there's a reason Wenger sold him on.

United and Chelsea currently have the best squads in the PL. Both clearly need a new striker, United moreso than Chelsea. I'd wager that not many of those two teams would be happy with Henry being the striker they signed this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement