Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terry Henry on the move?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

IrishMike wrote: »
    Cant see Rafa blowing 15m+ on a aging player with huge wages and ask him
    to play in a much deeper role.
    He can be extremely lazy, is prone to sulk on the field and despite his
    amazing talent i for one would not want him to join.
    Would see 15m spent on ashley young as a much better investment.

Ashley Young lol...

Who is he and what has he done?

Henry is still top class and has more talent that Kuyt, Voronin and Crouch put together...

He would be a good signing for yee, Gerrard, Carra and the fans would get him going again...

Still has a fair bit of pace and still has a lot to offer, I don't know of any other striker in the world who can utilize his first touch so effectively, Babel and co could learn..

http://101greatgoals.magnify.net/item/W68J5C75JFJYDP6H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ashley Young lol...

He's scored 4 goals and gotten 16 assists in the league this season, for Villa.

Henry got 7 goals and 7 assists in the league for Barcelona, with Xavi Deco Ronaldinho and Iniesta feeding him, Eto Ronaldinho and Messi getting on the end of his through balls.

Who's been better this season?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id rather spend £20m on Young than £10m on Henry but Young wont be available this summer. I think Henry would be a great signing for us if he played on the left wing of an attacking 4 like i posted above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

As a pool fan I'd be delighted to see him join us for various reasons. One is the system we play (recently) - FFS - we play Kuyt wide on the right - how could Henry not be a quantum leap forward in terms of attacking threat. Henry always played the channels anyway so put him out there joining up with Torres - its a great match.

Second - massive proven ability in the premiership - this may be less than it was but he hasn't fallen away that badly and his class is still there. Kuyt was great in Holland, Shevchenko was great in Italy, Henry was great in England - I know which I'd prefer.

Barcelona hasn't worked out but he'll still be a good/great player for 2 or 3 more years. 10m and somewhat reasonable wages and he'd be a great buy - I think there should be a good chance he'd go for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Young aint going nowhere..........

As for Henry,i think MON should consider kidnapping his Daughter and use that as bait to sign Henry for Villa. Failing that maybe he can extoll to Henry the joys of the M6 means TH is only 2 hours* away from north London where presumably his offspring is based.

*give or take :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Ashley Young lol...

To quote JumpAround O Niell "He's my Ronaldo". He's been leathal this year... I'd love to see him at United.

PHB wrote: »
    He's scored 4 goals and gotten 16 assists in the league this season, for Villa.

Henry got 7 goals and 7 assists in the league for Barcelona, with Xavi Deco Ronaldinho and Iniesta feeding him, Eto Ronaldinho and Messi getting on the end of his through balls.

Who's been better this season?

Since when does goals and assists define you?

Young has a bit of pace, but has nothing of note to make him a £15 mill guy, just like Bentley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL Squall20, He has a bit of pace, he has a hell of a lot more than that, you don't get assists by just being quick, his delivery has been excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Take a look at Henry's stats:

3 seasons ago: 30 goals in all comps 42 Games
    2 seasons ago: 33 goals in all comps 44 Games
    1 season ago: 18 goals in all comps 27 Games
    Come on PHB you know as well as I do that the above is not a true representation of the facts. You're trying to suggest that he was in decline in his final year at Arsenal by giving us the stat that he scored 15 goals less.

What you fail to tell us is that he played 17 less games! Of course his goals total is gonna be lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pighead wrote: »
    What you fail to tell us is that he played 17 less games! Of course his goals total is gonna be lower.

He was in decline because he was injured and only played half the games...he was missing that spark/turn of pace also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

IrishMike wrote: »
    You are obviously taking crap because to say his pace is fading obviously means you
    havent seen him at all this season.
    His pace is far from fading, he is as fast as ever.
    He just hasnt adapted at all to the Barca system and/or lifestyle
    The man is still a genius

How much of him have you actually seen this season? To say he hasn't faded is laughable. I've seen him in the flesh a few times this season and watched almost every game Barça have played. He's not as quick or clinical as he was and he doesn't seem to have the killer first touch that people here are talking about. I've lost count of the number of times he's tried to knock the ball past defender, only for it to run out of play or the amount of times he's been easily dispossessed. As I said already, he was abysmal at the start of the season, played well in the middle and has been quite poor of late. Maybe it's the Barça system that doesn't suit him, although he's been given a chance on the right, left and through the middle of their attacking triangle and has failed to deliver.

His pace has faded quite considerably, which is understandable because he's definitely past his prime. He's also been plagued with injuries and from what I've been told, he's got a back problem which will only continue to deteriorate. I don't think he has a problem with the lifestyle at all. Food is much better, as is the weather and he's picked up Spanish very quickly.

The main driving force here is his daughter, which he's said so himself. That automatically rules out a move to Italy. Liverpool is too far away from London for Henry to consider imo. Maybe he'll move in the summer, maybe he wont. One thing is for sure though. If you're expecting the old Arsenal Henry to terrorise defences and beat entire teams on his own, you'll be very disappointed.

Since when does goals and assists define you?

Young has a bit of pace, but has nothing of note to make him a £15 mill guy, just like Bentley

Thats OK, Liverpool can keep Pennant, and we'll keep Young, i know which one i'd rather have! and let me tell you it aint that drink driving,ASBO dodging, prison livin', tagged chav extraordinaire. who also still doesny know how to cross a ball.

Trilla wrote: »
    He was in decline because he was injured and only played half the games...he was missing that spark/turn of pace also.
    Yeah maybe you're right. This goal especially from just over a year ago shows him at his shoddy worst.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCV6Verj0es&feature=related

Thats OK, Liverpool can keep Pennant, and we'll keep Young, i know which one i'd rather have! and let me tell you it aint that drink driving,ASBO dodging, prison livin', tagged chav extraordinaire. who also still doesny know how to cross a ball.

My bad, must have slipped my mind that its a guarante Young will be a success at a big club...

Pennant had how many goals/assists before he joined pool?

Yeah maybe you're right. This goal especially from just over a year ago shows him at his shoddy worst.

That was over 2 years ago and Carragher should have dealt with it!;)

Edit: And Dudek should have saved it aswell!

• Advertisement

He is still very quick, but has to try much harder to run that fast...

The Henry of old ( 21 -26 ) wouldnt have needed to shoulder Carragher...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWT7f_YI8t0

Against Sevilla, still has decent pace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYajXgg_IQ8

An Citeog wrote: »
    That was over 2 years ago and Carragher should have dealt with it!;)
    No it wasn't. It was January 2007. Just over a year ago.

My bad, must have slipped my mind that its a guarante Young will be a success at a big club...

of course you're right, there is no guarantee he would be a success at Man Utd./Arsenal/Chelsea, forgive me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Saha is a great player when fit, he's just never fit.

Giggs isn't good enough anymore for a title winning squad.

Brown imo is an average player, who I could take or leave. The only reason I'd like to keep him is because he's a local lad. Still, in their relative position, Brown has been better than Henry this year.

O'Shea plays as a magical utility player, which in a 5 subs rule league is essential. If Henry could play up front, on the wings and in central midfield, you might have a point.

Anderson and Nani have played at least as good as him this year, and are young and hence it's ok to have them play poorly because they will develop.

--

No, that was his primary attribute.

This isn't Henry of 2 or 3 years ago, when he was very likely the best striker in the league by some distance.
    Just like Shechenko ya know, 2 or 3 years ago, who was arguably the best striker in the world.

Take a look at Henry's stats:

3 seasons ago: 30 goals in all comps
    2 seasons ago: 33 goals in all comps
    1 season ago: 18 goals in all comps
    this season: 11 goals in all comps

He's a rapidly fading player, which isn't surprising. He isn't making it at Barca for a reason, and there's a reason Wenger sold him on.

United and Chelsea currently have the best squads in the PL. Both clearly need a new striker, United moreso than Chelsea. I'd wager that not many of those two teams would be happy with Henry being the striker they signed this year.
    Saha is far from a great player when fit, he had a few good months at United when he joined first and at the start of last season, but even if he stayed fit, I wouldn't call him anything like a great player, a good Prem player perhaps, but not a starting striker in a top 4 squad.

If Henry comes back to the PL, i'm putting a tenner on him being top scorer

No it wasn't. It was January 2007. Just over a year ago.

My bad. I just looked at the tags under the video and it said FA Cup 2006. Anyway, Carragher still should have cleared it and Dudek should have saved it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Aren't himself and the missus divorced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Villain wrote: »
    I think people are writing Henry off a little too much, he's had a bad season but so has most of the Barca team including Ronaldhino, I wouldn't write him off.

I'd go as far as writing Ronaldinho off too...:cool:

If he becomes amazing again,I'll eat my,admittedly small and tasty,hat

cson wrote: »
    Aren't himself and the missus divorced?

That's the whole point. She's unwilling to up sticks and move, so that the kid can be near him. That and language issues I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Can't see Henry returning to Arsenal tbh. I can't see Wenger shelling out over 15 million on a player he only sold a year ago. England looks to be on the cards though as the rumours today was that he was missing his family at home in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Everyone knows Henry is scouse.

Don't think he would fancy living up there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If Barca know what's good for them, then they'll get shot of him.

The Bojan-Eto'o-Messi frontline is the future and the line-up that has served Barcelona best this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Giggs isn't good enough anymore for a title winning squad.

So by that logic, Utd cannot win the title this year as Giggs has been playing regularly, correct?

We've massively compensated for him. He's not good enough. Just because we could win it anyway doesn't mean he's good enough.

If I played for them reguarly and we won the league, I still wouldn't be good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

so now we're comparing you to Henry?

i give up.

simple fact is you said Henry is not good enough for a title winning squad. You couldnt be more wrong imo.

night xxxx

Well sure he'll sign for Liverpool and we'll see :)

• Advertisement

I can see Henry putting PHB in his place...

He can make himself an even bigger Arsenal legend, if he can help Barca knock out those pr!cks..

Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him knock United out, he's still got it in him to perform in big games, as he did against Schalke. Then again, that's not what I was talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm a bit skeptical that family issues are the cause of him being unsettled/off form. Adapting from being the big time charlie at Arsenal to a squad player at Barcelona at that stage in his career was always going to be difficult. I reckon a move is in the interests of all parties involved.

To where? Not to Arsenal or Man Utd. I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea or Liverpool went for him. I'd welcome him at Liverpool - he's got a proven Premiership pedigree and he has a couple of seasons in him yet.

I wonder though, what about a move to Lyon? A cushy enough number. He'd be the star of the team, would rip Ligue 1 to shreds, and would still have Champions League football to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I think he will want to move back to London so can see him heading to West London imo.

That is QPR by the way.

Miss the man, miss the player

He is Arsenal through and through.

He belongs here, couldn't bare seeing him with another premiership team..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1yeTRghAnY&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Probably the best forward that scored great goals in english football ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him knock United out, he's still got it in him to perform in big games, as he did against Schalke. Then again, that's not what I was talking about.

He still has it in him to perform in the big games yet he is not good enough to be a squad player for any of the teams challenging for the title.
    PHB let me take that shovel away from you before that hole gets any deeper :rolleyes:

If he had one leg and developed a heroin addiction he would still be good
    enough to be a squad player in every squad in the premiership.:cool:

Advertisement