Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedal Question from Noob

Options
  • 08-04-2008 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Going to be borrowing my mates bike come July for a Triathlon. I don't understand bikes or these cleated pedals. There I was thinking that a pedal was a pedal and they were all one standard! I'm intending to switch my city bike from straps to pedals matching his to get used to them.

Anyway, my mate, despite being mad into cycling (he'll randomly cycle the ring of Kerry cos he felt bored and so on) seems unsure as well as to what he has.

I asked him to look at the pedals and he has gotten back to me saying they have shimano 105 written on them. Does this mean anything to anyone here and what would I need to buy here in the UK that would be compatible? If shimano 105 doesn't shed light where does he need to look to inform me? Otherwise I'm gonna have to do something silly like bring my pedals over with me when I go in July but this seems like unneccessary fuss.

Cheers for ANY advice.

EDIT: any handy links explaining the different types of pedals and compatability would also be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Looks like they should be something like this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22687

In that case you'll need to buy a pair of shoes that are compatible with spd cleats.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I asked him to look at the pedals and he has gotten back to me saying they have shimano 105 written on them. Does this mean anything to anyone here and what would I need to buy here in the UK that would be compatible?

Yes, it means that they're Shimano SPD-SL road pedals. Any other SPD-SL pedals and cleats are compatible with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Excellent stuff lads. Will look into getting compatible pedals/cleats so here in the UK.

Many many thanks.

Advertisement