Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Leaving Dinner - Any suggestions?

• 08-04-2008 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Basically I'm having aunts/uncles/cousins/granny over for a big dinner a few days before I set off travelling as a leaving do.

However, I'll have been out the night before at a more alcohol fuelled leaving do and will be staying in town so I won't be home too long before the family arrive.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice dinner for about 12 -14 people I could prepare in advance? I thought about the chicken/broccoli bake thing. I could make it during the week and freeze it and then put it in the oven on the day but I'm not sure what'd be nice to serve with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

You could do a lasagne either and have it assembled - all you'd have to do is put it in the oven when you get home. You could serve it with chips, garlic bread and a salad. Actually you could probably use the same side dishes with your chicken/broccoli bake either.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

you'd need to find out what they like and don't like. a lot of older people won't go near things like pasta.... "not eatin that forrin muck"

but otherwise things like chicken and broccoli bake and lasagne are perfect. basically something you can do in advance, chuck in the oven and serve with some boiled veg or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Beerlao wrote: »
    you'd need to find out what they like and don't like. a lot of older people won't go near things like pasta.... "not eatin that forrin muck"

Luckily, for me, that's not an issue. They'll all happily eat whatever they're given.

I'm liking the lasagne idea actually. I know a great recipe too. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Baked potatoes are lovely with it and you can put them in the oven a while before you put the Lasagna in to heat,sour cream and chives for the baked spuds,delicus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Watna:

Have you thought about asking your guests to cook for you? If you could get 3 or 4 of them to do a main course and side dish (either easily reheatable or a cold dish) each (e.g., one does a lasagne, another a curry, another some rice, another a salad, maybe a dessert?) & you put together some starters? Use disposable plates & cutlery too.

Makes life easier for you, so you can kick back & enjoy your leaving party.

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Watna:

Have you thought about asking your guests to cook for you? If you could get 3 or 4 of them to do a main course and side dish (either easily reheatable or a cold dish) each (e.g., one does a lasagne, another a curry, another some rice, another a salad, maybe a dessert?) & you put together some starters? Use disposable plates & cutlery too.

Makes life easier for you, so you can kick back & enjoy your leaving party.

Hmm, could be a good idea but I would imagine my mother wouldn't be too thrilled with it. My aunt is always having us over for lovely meals! If it comes down to it my mum will cook something while I'm dying of a hangover (she's talking about a leg of lamb) but if possible, I'd like to make something myself.

lasagne is not relly a goer anymore either. My other aunt apparently "expects me to make this" so I've decided that I'm not going to. I'm stubborn that way!

I'm currently searching online for other bake type ideas that I can make during the week and

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

(I thought from the title that your family were leaving the dinner hahahah)

Bouef bourgignon (sp?) gets better when cooked a day or two before eating (call it beef stew if it makes they are unadventurous eaters) and can be heated/served with crusty bread (freezer to oven) and a green salad (bought day before, kept in fridge and dressed just before serving). Great hangover food too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

Oh thats a shame about the lasagne Watna, I was going to suggest that as well. Lasagne is one of the few dishes that actually tastes better the day after it's cooked.

I'll second the suggestion for beef bougignon, Rachel Aleen has a recipe for it that's fairly simple and very tasty as well. You could serve it with a selection of vegatbles, potatoes and crusty bread.

Would you consider shepherds pie maybe? I know it's a fairly simple dish but Gordon Ramsay has a recipe which is soooo tasty, and it's easy to do in advance as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I spoke to my mum last night and we've decided to do a leg of lamb with herbs. She'll put it in the oven in the morning and when I get home I'll do the veg and potatoes.

Going to make a pavlova for dessert too. Seeming as I'm moving to NZ, lamb and pavlova seemed to fit well!

If anyone has any suggestions for sides they are more than welcome!

Advertisement