Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varnish, then paint, on soft window boards

Options
  • 08-04-2008 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

We put in deal window boards intending to stain and varnish, but having tried to get the colour I want on some cutoffs we decided to paint instead.

However, the deal boards are quite soft and are easy to dent. I guess the undercoat and final coats of gloss will provide some protection, but I was wondering if it might be a good idea to put several coats of 'hard' varnish (if there is such a thing) first, then sand and then paint on gloss to make them more resilient.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ? Will the sanded varnish provide enough of a key for painting ? Is there a better way to harden up the boards ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Well, you're creating more problems by varnishing the wood prior to painting, mainly the problem that the paint will chip off very easily back to the varnish layer.
    Softwood will harden slightly once painted...if an impact is hard enough to dent the wood then it will crack the paint anyhow, irregardless of whether it's had varnish underneath or not.

I'd go with a proper primer, an U/C and perhaps 2 coats of gloss finish or 3 of satin/eggshell. Paint is designed to protect what it's coating.

If the boards are to be subject to exceptionally tough traffic and wear then I've seen where people will get some glass sheets cut to fit the board or shelf or whatever

Advertisement