Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 FIAT 132's, 3 Renault 20's / 4 Safrane's inc a V6

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

any A 132 left? if so, how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

I passed there on Sunday and all were still there. I'd say there is no time to hang about if one wants a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Karma wrote: »
    any A 132 left? if so, how much?

All sold, some still to be collected, but all sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Im guessing that the two 132s pictured in this months irish vintage are yours V300, if so, they are fantastic looking cars:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Im guessing that the two 132s pictured in this months irish vintage are yours V300, if so, they are fantastic looking cars:D
    The one I had at the Durrow show was the white 1800TC sport..

I'm thinking you have seen a photo of the yellow automatic (2.o tc), and the orange oldie 132 (2.0 tc),
    both EX Gerry Kennedy (my fathers), and both are happily residing with new owners in Co. Longford now.

Does this describe the photo I've not seen yet ?

Yes,they are the cars alright.Nice motors!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

v300 wrote: »
    All sold, some still to be collected, but all sold.

Great news. Thanks for the update, v300

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Argesean

I cannot believe there has been so much talking about these R20-s. Been looking for one for a while now and just discovered this throught the Classic Renault club( which I have just discovered too) I thougt that Carzone is the only site with a classic section in IRE. I am in Ireland too and I have been looking for a good 20, 12, 17 or 16 for almost a year now. My dad had one of each, but the 20 was the fastest. The best I found closest to the classic Renault is my wife's 99 Laguna which did 152k miles and still runs beautiful. That is how I decided to change my Alfa 156 for a classic Renault and get rid of high insurance while driving a car I can fix myself.
    Anyway, if any sale falls through I am promptly next in line since as mentioned I am looking for one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

if any sale falls through I am promptly next in line since as mentioned I am looking for one of these

You could try sending a pm to Johnf2020, a regular poster here with a few very nice Renaults for sale.
    AFAIK his Fuego is sold but he also had an 18, 16, and 15, all in immaculate condition, for sale.

• Advertisement

Argesean wrote: »
    I cannot believe there has been so much talking about these R20-s. Been looking for one for a while now and just discovered this throught the Classic Renault club( which I have just discovered too) I thougt that Carzone is the only site with a classic section in IRE. I am in Ireland too and I have been looking for a good 20, 12, 17 or 16 for almost a year now. My dad had one of each, but the 20 was the fastest. The best I found closest to the classic Renault is my wife's 99 Laguna which did 152k miles and still runs beautiful. That is how I decided to change my Alfa 156 for a classic Renault and get rid of high insurance while driving a car I can fix myself.
    Anyway, if any sale falls through I am promptly next in line since as mentioned I am looking for one of these.
    Good to hear that you found us, i had the same reaction when i found boards!!:DDidnt think there was anyone else interested in renault 20s other than me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Argesean

That sounds great.I actually just missed a nice 15 on Carzone a couple of months ago....And it was at a bargain price too.... To tell you the truth I didn't even know there were ever any of these cars in Ireland since it is so hard to come by one. It is still hard for me to undersand how entire generations of cars dissapeared from Ireland more than any other country I visited

Argesean wrote: »
    That sounds great.I actually just missed a nice 15 on Carzone a couple of months ago....And it was at a bargain price too.... To tell you the truth I didn't even know there were ever any of these cars in Ireland since it is so hard to come by one. It is still hard for me to undersand how entire generations of cars dissapeared from Ireland more than any other country I visited
    Its simple really,the evil scrappage scheme killed off around 60,000 cars in the mid 90s,and them the NCT test that started in 2000 killed off most of the rest!Thats why theres a huge void of original irish registrations and cars,sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Its simple really,the evil scrappage scheme killed off around 60,000 cars in the mid 90s,and them the NCT test that started in 2000 killed off most of the rest!Thats why theres a huge void of original irish registrations and cars,sad really.

There is also another thing that killed off alot of cars, that is the banning of leaded petrol in 2000. Many leaded petrol cars required the valves and seals to be replaced in order to make them run on unleaded, and many owners didn't bother (too expensive). Many good cars met the crusher because of this. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I was watching an Irish film called "Crush proof" on TV the other night, was released in 1998 so probably filmed in 97. Judging by several street scenes there were still lots of pre 87 cars around Dublin then. However the only old Renault I saw was a green R4 van, probably ex An Post.

Anytime there are Irish films or programmes from the RTE archives on TV I look at them for the cars :)

If you watch the film In the name of the father, theres a street scene in it where the cars on the street where the actors are on are 70s cars, but on the street behind all the cars are from 15ish years or so in the future!!
    Also in the film Withnail and I(greatest film ever:D) has something similar in it too if you look closely at the streets and motorway shots!!Its supposed to be the 60s,but some of the cars are 1980s models!!

• Advertisement

'The Commitments', 'The Van', 'The General' & even 'Taffin' are good for scenes of old Irish cars.

This website has good screenshots of cars in a few of the above films:

http://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=101605

and

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_118064-The-Van.html

Sort of gone off in a bit of a tangent here!

Ah sure what harm, if its old,irish and a car its all good!!:D
    What film is taffin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,520 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

Trailer for it here:

http://www.trailerfan.com/movie/taffin/trailer

I never actually saw it, I heard it's meant to be shíte!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

I also think that the arrival of the year depicting reg numbers, i.e "87-county-1234" initiated a whole culture of keeping up with the Jones' that didn't exist before. Everyone wanted the latest plate, its a culture that obviously still exists today, and as such plenty of older cars got passed down through the trade and became worthless as used cars became less desirable.

It IS a shame, though just this week I spoke to a chap who has resurected his fathers 1977 Alfetta, on original Irish plates. He also has a few Triumphs too. Great to see these cars being kept. Right on my doorstep too and I never knew about them !

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote: »
    I also think that the arrival of the year depicting reg numbers, i.e "87-county-1234" initiated a whole culture of keeping up with the Jones' that didn't exist before. Everyone wanted the latest plate, its a culture that obviously still exists today, and as such plenty of older cars got passed down through the trade and became worthless as used cars became less desirable.

It IS a shame, though just this week I spoke to a chap who has resurected his fathers 1977 Alfetta, on original Irish plates. He also has a few Triumphs too. Great to see these cars being kept. Right on my doorstep too and I never knew about them !
    Yes, i totally agree with you on this, im sure the goverment thought of this also with their VRT etc.While it is a good system in itself it has little character,and makes everything very similar. I suppose back in the day people just bought a new car and that was it, it wasnt as big a deal to get the new registration as it is now.
    Original irish plates rock, it masks the year of the car for one,and people are always enquiring about the reg of my datsun,and some younger people havnt a clue even that its irish,iv had a young lad ask me one day what country was it from:cool:.
    I love to see older cars on their first day plates, it was great with all the different styles back in the day as some of my own collection shows....
    Image159.jpg
    Its almost impossible to get these plates now though...:(

^ Whoa, that's quite a collection. And I thought I was the only person to collect reg. plates (I've only got five though!)

Now to go completely off-topic, I was wondering if there is anywhere what will print these type of metal reg. plates, with the same font as below:

f_regm_782ad81.png

They were used on cars registered between 1987-1990, I'd love to get a set for my Micra, just to give it the 'original' look!

^ Try Renauto on Dorset St. They have a wide range of styles.

Not your ornery onager

Thats a great collection there mate, great to see those old numbers. My wife would have a fit if I kept that in the garage !

Where did you get 'em all ?
    Max_Damage wrote: »
    ^ Whoa, that's quite a collection. And I thought I was the only person to collect reg. plates (I've only got five though!)

Now to go completely off-topic, I was wondering if there is anywhere what will print these type of metal reg. plates, with the same font as below:

f_regm_782ad81.png

They were used on cars registered between 1987-1990, I'd love to get a set for my Micra, just to give it the 'original' look!

I dont think there actually was a standard font used between '87 and '90 as I used to deal with brand new cars then and plates came from various suppliers and were all slightly different. I dont recall ever seeing anything like that Micra plate until the Euro plates arrived !

Regulations were issued as and from 1991 !

I dont think there actually was a standard font used between '87 and '90 as I used to deal with brand new cars then and plates came from various suppliers and were all slightly different.

Same can be said now when you think of it, there is a number of fonts, metal and plastic in circulation. Same can't be said for the German plates.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Same can be said now when you think of it, there is a number of fonts, metal and plastic in circulation. Same can't be said for the German plates.

..........well no actually there is only one font allowed and one size of plate. The size of the border and even the hyphen and the spacing of digits is all detailed. Many suppliers appear to flout the rules but they are clear whereas before they didn't really exist !

Thats a great collection there mate, great to see those old numbers. My wife would have a fit if I kept that in the garage !

Where did you get 'em all ?

I dont think there actually was a standard font used between '87 and '90 as I used to deal with brand new cars then and plates came from various suppliers and were all slightly different. I dont recall ever seeing anything like that Micra plate until the Euro plates arrived !

Regulations were issued as and from 1991 !
    Thats only a few, i have a good few more on the other wall,i just collected them for the last 15 years ago, back in the days when i couldnt afford an old car and scrapyards were much more accomadating!!

The reg 4219TI style font was the type used on metal plate formats from 87 to 91, my chevette has a KY plate with the same font and it was imported in 1990.I dont know where they can be made up these days though,but im sure someone can do it.
    Oh yeah,for anyone thats interested 4219TI was a RWD kadett,sadly dead now!!:(

..........well no actually there is only one font allowed and one size of plate. The size of the border and even the hyphen and the spacing of digits is all detailed. Many suppliers appear to flout the rules but they are clear whereas before they didn't really exist !
    There is no specification regarding the actual font to be used. Stroke width and character height and width are specified. I would be of the opinion that as long as these specifications are adhered to, you would be entitled to use a 'non-standard' (i.e. non-typical) font, as long as it is legible and is not liable to misinterpretation.

You might want to keep a copy of the relevant Statutory Instrument in your glove-box to prove your point to a nit-picking Garda or NCT tester!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Regarding watching old Irish films for old cars, I've watched Ordinary Decent Criminal all the way through just for the cars :D. They must have had some low budget car-wise - all these alleged high profile gang members driving around in battered 10+ year old luxobarges! The best part was the end with several "'96" reg Ford Sierra squad cars...

Max Damage: If you can find what particular typeface was used with these plates (or something very similar) you might be able to get somewhere in recreating them. The typeface may have been designed by some big company like Letraset, Monotype, etc., but could have been designed by some local company too - I don't know what sort of Irish typeface designing industry there was back in the day (I'm sure things like that were quite different before dem computer yokes were popular).

There are websites were you can put in some image with text and it can try and work out what font it is but I can't remember where they are. There's many websites for searching for fonts though.

The plastic plates like PZS 959 and DIS 247 (note the serifed S and 2) seemed to be popular in the late '80s too - it may be easier to get a plastic plate made with a specific font than a stamped one.

EDIT: Found the site - http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/
    Tried it with the four number plates above that look like the 4219 TI one put together (corrected perspective, removed backgrounds etc.) but it didn't find the right font :(

What I was thinking of doing as an alternative if I can't get those metal plates is getting the plates printed with the British font on a plain white backround. This one does it: http://www.fancyplates.com/

• Advertisement

Regarding watching old Irish films for old cars, I've watched Ordinary Decent Criminal all the way through just for the cars :D. They must have had some low budget car-wise - all these alleged high profile gang members driving around in battered 10+ year old luxobarges!

I reckon they wasted all their budget on getting Kevin Spacey to be in it!

The best part was the end with several "'96" reg Ford Sierra squad cars...
    How were they 96 reg?The last sierras were registered in 93 when the mondeo took over?

How were they 96 reg?The last sierras were registered in 93 when the mondeo took over?

Fake plates. Sure look at this picture from the film:

1997sierra005147rf2.jpg

Not much effort was put in to make this Sierra a '97!

Hilarious, they just painted out a part of the 8 in 87,brilliant!!Cartell says,
    Registration87D25111 MakeFORD ModelSIERRA DescriptionFORD SAPPHIRE GL Fuel TypePETROL

otherwise it comes up as..
    Registration97D25111 MakeTOYOTA ModelCOROLLA DescriptionTOYOTA COROLLA AUTO. Fuel TypePETROL
    And it doesnt look like a corolla to me!!:D

Advertisement